Old 05-28-2012, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, PLEEEASE take a look at this and see if you can help me:
TV: LG 42LC4R
BD Player: Philips BDP2600/55

My TV is NOT HD, but HD READY (which makes it 1360x768 or something like that...) So I'm using my BD player with an 720p output (it should match the AR on the set, in theory) the thing is, that even though I get a nice clear picture, the overscan is KILLING ME. Like you wouldn't believe how insane it is driving me (actually you would, cause you love to have everything as good as it can get. Thats why I join this awesome forum ) Anyway, like I was saying, the OVERSCAN is KILLING me, so I looked for the service menu code online (as it was obviously not the same one as my previous set) and found it (menu on the RC+ Menu on the set)
So far so good, I looked for the "overscan" option in there, changed it from 2 (7%) to 0 (1%) and thought I was done with it. (BTW I accidentally changed the blkline detector setting and couldn't change it back cause 0 wasn't a valid option... So I fixed it by unplugging the set and pressing the power button on the TV for 30 seconds UNPLUGGED and everything was dandy again. Just in case anyone was having a similar problem...)
Anyway, even though I changed the overscan setting the thing is EXACTLY the same!.
I think Images speak more than a thousand words so, if you could be so kind as to take a look at all the available options (menus and sub menus) and tell me which one would I need to change for the overscan to be finally freaking GONE, I would really, really, really appreciate it.

PS: I've included the hotel menu settings just in case anything in there could be preventing me from saving the setting though I HIGHLY doubt it.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2012, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

part 2 of the menus.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
Old 05-28-2012, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

part 3-last one
LL
Old 05-28-2012, 09:18 PM

Is it a PC you're using and the overscan cuts off some of the image or something? 2.5% is fine, and you're really not missing anything unless you are using a PC and can't adjust it via software.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply. No, the TV is not connected to a PC. The source is a BD player. And I'm aware that I'm not "missing anything" with a 2.5% overscan, its the THOUGHT of not being able to see the whole picture, the way it was intended to be that is driving me insane (plus, the whole "even though I phisically changed the overscan % it doesn't show on screen" thingy...)
So any advise on those options?
By the way, if I change some Tool Options settings I get a... I don't know how to call it... A more "defined" image? I know it has nothing to do with what I'm asking here, but I just wonder what is that option for. I think it has something to do with the size of the screen? Cause it has 42 (my set), 37, 26 etc options...
Thanks again for your reply.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 68
It may very well be that the player itself won't send a picture with less overscan than 2.5%. Getting below this very much begins to open up the possibility of seeing non-picture noise outside the "safe action" and "safe picture" areas of the image depending on the source. Also, the display's image scaling to convert the 720p source to its native resolution may be inducing it. Either way, I agree with TomGreen321. You have far less overscan than the majority of out of the box displays and are really in good shape.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
Old 05-29-2012, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

So, no way to fix it?
It's not that I'm "missing" info on the image its just that it "softens" it by blowing it up to fill the overscan portions (proved it by setting the BD player to "native" instead of 720p output. I could see the finer details on the test patterns, specially the one for sharpness/overscan) So the details are there, the problem is with the TV scaling.
And before you recommend to keep it in "native" or "just use it on 1080p output" (which works by the way) when I do it, I can clearly see fuzzy vertical lines on screen (refresh rate would be my guess).
There must be an option to set the screen size. Hell, even most of the old CRTs had that V-size and H-size controls. I could use those now...
Old 05-30-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

You generally do not get very many options to adjust screen size on digital displays-they are fixed-pixel devices. The screen size controls on analog sets (and the safe picture and safe action boundaries of the image) were more or less a lingering artifact from the days when CRT pictures shrank as the tube aged.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Old 05-31-2012, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys.
Seeing as no one either knows/or is willing to share their knowledge with me. Could you tell me what each of this options mean/do?
For example, I know (or think at least) that UTT means the time used, right? What is "Tool Option" and its sub-menus? I think it tells the TV how many inputs/outputs it has, right?
And this one is a mystery to me.. What is "AGC-L" for? The reason I'm SPECIALLY interested in this option is cause since I took these pictures (default settings) I did a "factory settings" restore from the "Area Menu" (cause I messed with the "blkline detector" and afterwards I wasn't able to restore it to 0 (as it gave me no option to do so) So I restored to factory. . Or so I thought Cause now "AGC-L" reads "2" (instead of "222" which was the setting OOTB.
Should I enter 222 manually? What is it for?
Anyways, I know a lot of you guys (mostly calibrators) have worked with an LG sometime, and I know you know some if not ALL of these settings and what they do.
So any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Try servicemanuals.net. They may have a downloadable and/or paper copy of the service manual for your set.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Old 05-31-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Greetings

There is a difference between a calibrator and a TV repairman. Calibrators are generally not TV repairmen and do not have the background that TV repair guys have. Calibrators start out as enthusiasts first and come from all sorts of industries like engineering, nursing, computer programming, meteorology, financial planning ...

A TV repairman could choose to be a calibrator, but rarely does it go the other way.

So pro calibrators probably would not know what all the stuff in a service menu means.

Regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

Old 05-31-2012, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Didn't know that. I would've guessed that to be able to calibrate a set trough the service menu one would have to know these settings and what they're for... Thanks for the info. SO I guess I'll rephrase my question: Are there any TV repairmen in here willing to give me a hand with these?
Thanks again guys.