Calibration questions. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-29-2012, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all, i just calibrated my Panasonic plasma using AVS HD, i have a ps3/xbox360/wii hooked to the TV, my question is, should i be using game mode or can i just use cinema for everything, since i couldn't calibrate my tv using dynamic,normal,true cinema,game mode.

The only perfect calibration happened on Cinema mode, since i got same brightness settings from Black clipping and APL clipping, and everything else is satisfying especially skin color.

So, is it ok to use cinema mode after i calibrate it on my ps3 for blu-rays and gaming, or do i need two modes, one for gaming and the other for blu-rays?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Also, sorry for asking too much, i read that the ps3 needs two separate modes since games output in RPG and movies use Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr, is that true?
Old 05-30-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 228
You don't need separate calibrations. Games are not made to any specific standard unless they are THX certified which implies that games should be made to HDTV color standards. But games aren't that bad, color-wise, in general so an HDTV calibration typucally looks fine when playing games. However, Game mode may improve the response time of the video display (so it responds faster to what you are doing with the controller). If you find Game mode feels faster, you may want to use it even if you can't calibrate it, that choice is up to you.

If Cinema mode is "fast enough" to use for gaming, you can certainly use that, but keep in mind that you may see some variation in color between games.

You can set the game console to output RGB or YCbCr... you want it to send whatever looks best on your video display. YCbCr will looks best most of the time, but you may see no difference with RGB or in a small number of cases, RGB might look better than YCbCr. If you calibrated in YCbCr mode and decided to switch to RGB mode because it looks better, you should recheck calibration with the TV receiving RGB as it may measure somewhat differently and the best settings might be different.

RGB has the additional complexity of having the option of using digital levels 0-255 (like a computer) or 16-235 (for consumer video sources like Blu-ray, cable & satellite). And if you use RGB mode, you might end up having to switch between 0-255 and 16-235 modes depending on the source you are displaying. Some setups will handle that switching automatically, some won't.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX -- ISF -- HAA