DIY Measurement Of A Display's Actual Refresh Rate - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-02-2012, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 483
I have seen at past a Modification of a RadioShark Multimeter #22-811 that can measure display Hz, i have contact anyuser (from youtube) to give me some connection diagram with no luck, unfortunately Bogney Baux user (from AVSForum) is not an active user anymore, can someone give more details about the wiring and parts that needed to assemble it.

Klein K-10 has that Measuring Hz feature, Chroma 5 with CalMAN can read Hz only from CRT displays, this DIY Mod will be a cheap way to measure Hz for checking how each display is actually working using different selected motion options.

Here are the links of that Mod measuring a KURO:

''Measuring the refresh rate of a Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020 FD using a RadioShack multimeter #22-811 attached to a simple circuit consisting of a light dependent resistor wired in series with a 2000 ohm resistor and a 9 volt battery. ''

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hmmb-RCfII

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmPP-CwzHTQ

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-02-2012, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

''Measuring the refresh rate of a Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020 FD using a RadioShack multimeter #22-811 attached to a simple circuit consisting of a light dependent resistor wired in series with a 2000 ohm resistor and a 9 volt battery. ''

I looked at the Youtube videos. I have not used a photo resistor before, but it looks like it's resistance is just inversely related to the light that falls on it. Therefore, more light => less resistance and less light => more resistance.

The circuit sounds like just a simple series loop of the battery, photo resistor and bias resistor. Then just measure the voltage across the bias resistor with the Radio Shack meter on volts. The 2K ohm value chosen is probably dependent on the photoresistor and the light output of the TV. I would just get a muti-turn potentiometer (pot) then set the TV to a known refresh rate and adjust the pot to get 6.0 v at 60 Hz. I'm not sure how well this would work an any TV (unless calibrated for that particular TV) and for any program material.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page