Calibrating Samsung PS50C770 with ColorHCFR / AVS mp4 / Spyder 3 pro - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-08-2012, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

I am trying to attempt my first calibration of my plasma tv.

What can i use best.

The pattern generator from colorhcfr itself or AVS mp4 disc. What i do not understand is what i have to use from the avs disc. It has an map called ColorHCFR windows. Beneath i can see 5% grayscale, 10% greyscale, 25% greyscale.

Beneath a map for example: 5% greyscale there are several files from 0% to 109% greyscale. Which files do i use for colorhcfr.

Sorry i am a noob and i tried to do it with the pattern generator from colorhcfr itself but that is no succes. Could the reason be that when i plug my laptop through an hdmi cable on my tv it shows 100% on the tv screen.

UPDATE!
i just did an measurement with the 5% greyscale. Here are the results.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

I just did some measurements with the 5% map. Here are the results.

Tips for what to adjust?
Old 06-08-2012, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

The results of the 5% greyscale measurement

Old 06-28-2012, 07:59 PM

Liked: 24
Noah2003,

Welcome to the frustrating world of calibration. As you begin, please be advised that patience is a virtue and that proper do it yourself (DIY) calibration is not impossible.

Firstly, you should read the website "calibration for dummies." This is the link to the website: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

Read this website a few times to get used to the technical calibration jargon, and the techniques.

When I calibrate, I use the large 10% apl windows in the avs disk because my plasma, as many do, has a automatic brightness limiter that may impact picture quality. I target 2.4 for average measured gamma level because I view my plasma in a dark controlled lighting environment. Equally raising or lowering red, green, and blue gains or setoffs (cuts) impact the gamma level. Also, adjusting your cell light setting impacts gamma as well. If you have your picture/contrast level too high, you may be introducing unwanted tinting in your picture. You should set sharpness setting from where you view the tv instead of closeup. I prefer viewing standard mode instead of movie mode. Use the picture size of "screen fit" and make sure your signal input into to your tv is set at 1080i for 1:1 pixel mapping. Set color space to auto. Black tone settings impact gamma level in low IRE window measurements (0% to 40%). Brightness level should be set per avs standard tests for brightness level. Digital NR auto setting. hdmi black level low. Adjust white balance settings per measurements. Turn off all other enhancements. Samsungs can be calibrated in the user menu. Service menu adjustments are not necessary.

Another recommendation: Find your model's thread in this forum site and consider suggestions in that thread, if any.

Good luck,

Vincentfam
Old 06-28-2012, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I agree with most of what you posted, except for using Standard pic mode instead of the usual Movie pic mode and using black tone instead of just leaving it off. Also, windows can be used instead of APL patterns (which is what conventional wisdom suggests) and if you do use the APL patterns on the AVS disc, use the small ones. Cell light is best left at maximum, as this is what those pro calibrators who have contacts with Samsung's engineers have discovered. That setting is only there so that the menus from the LED/LCD sets can work with the plasmas as well.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:12 PM

Liked: 24
PlasmaPZ80U,

I thought you were a proponent of gamma 2.2 instead of 2.4. Nonetheless, I believe that we truly agree that DIY calibration can be frustrating but rewarding.

Vincentfam
Old 06-28-2012, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentfam View Post

PlasmaPZ80U,
I thought you were a proponent of gamma 2.2 instead of 2.4. Nonetheless, I believe that we truly agree that DIY calibration can be frustrating but rewarding.
Vincentfam

I recommend 2.2 for displays with less than ideal black levels (and resulting lower contrast ratios). Otherwise, 2.4 gamma can look good in a dark room on a high contrast display with solid black levels. In rooms with dim to moderate lighting, 2.2 will probably look better. Of course, with BT.1886 as a new option, there is less choice to worry about.