DIY calibration - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-14-2012, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have tried my hand at some DIY calibration and learned a ton on forums like these, as well as from watching pro calibrators. I currently have an eye-one display 2 and use HCFR software. Iknow this isn't the most accurate or comprehensive combo, but it is fairly inexpensive. I need to replace my colorimeter since the Eye one is 5 years old. Assuming i want to continue using the HCFR software (which I do because i understand it!), what is my best alternative on a new meter. Would another eye one be my best bet, if i want to keep costs down? Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-14-2012, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEELSFINL4 View Post

Would another eye one be my best bet, if i want to keep costs down? Thanks in advance

The i1 Display 2, haven't been manufactured in about a year, so "new" ones are already old enough that their accuracy is starting to slip.

It looks like they've updated HCFR recently to support the i1 Display 3 which is a much, much better meter. I haven't used HCFR in a long time and not with the new update for the i1D3, but that would be your best bet without buying new software.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #3 of 4 Old 06-15-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

The i1 Display 2, haven't been manufactured in about a year, so "new" ones are already old enough that their accuracy is starting to slip.
It looks like they've updated HCFR recently to support the i1 Display 3 which is a much, much better meter. I haven't used HCFR in a long time and not with the new update for the i1D3, but that would be your best bet without buying new software.

yep, D3 works in open source version of HCFR. There are problems with it on plasmas at certain luminance levels, typically 20-30% stimulus. The red reading at these levels is noisy and can jump around several percent.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-15-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the info. I see it for around $250 which isn't too much more than the one I have now. Does it lay fluch on the screen likr display one does? Also, is the plasmas issue a dealbreaker, because i do have a plasma.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page