what should I set gamma adjustment to? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-15-2012, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi I have a sharp quattron tv and was wondering what I should set gamma adjustment to. The options are -1, -2, 0, +1, +2. I currently have it at +2 because somewhere I heard this is the best setting can anyone confirm this for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-15-2012, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
There is no good answer to that. It would depend on what gamma you are after, and on your particular display. A gamma of 2.2 is the de facto standard, but if you have a really bright room, or a truly pitch black room, you might want something different. Also since one Quattron isn't the same as another Quattron, even if it came off the line right before it, you can't take the setting from another display and assume it is correct. Setting gamma almost always requires instruments, as it's not something you can eyeball, even using a test pattern, and really get right.

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, www.hometheaterhifi.com
Displays Editor, AnandTech.com
Contributor, HDGuru.com and Wirecutter.com
ISF Level II Certified Calibrator, ReferenceHomeTheater.com
post #3 of 11 Old 06-16-2012, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Hi thanks for answering so soon. I just looked to see what tv I have incase it changes anything and my sharp tv and it is the sharp quattron lc-60le832u.
post #4 of 11 Old 06-16-2012, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Hi thanks for answering so soon. I just looked to see what tv I have incase it changes anything and it is a sharp quattron lc-60le832u.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-16-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 227
You can NEVER tell what the best gamma control setting is without a meter and calibration software and the knowledge about how to use it. No setting any other owner is using is going to necessarily be the right setting for your room and your TV. If you have 6 owners who say they are using +1 and seven owners are using 0 and six owners are using -1... but if none of them have meters and calibration software, all you are getting is 20 guesses. All the settings they are using have a chance of being right, but there's a bigger chance they are wrong.

This sort of thing is why people get TVs calibrated... either by paying for a professional calibration, or by purchasing a meter, calibration software, and a calibration disc and teaching themselves how to calibrate (which takes maybe 100 hours of study and practice before you get your first good calibration).

Calibration is the only way to know that your settings are as accurate as they can be. There may still be errors after calibration, because some TVs simply don't have controls that are capable of removing all errors. But, calibration will insure that any given TV is as accurate as it can be made given the design and controls that are available.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #6 of 11 Old 06-16-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmosler View Post

Hi I have a sharp quattron tv and was wondering what I should set gamma adjustment to. The options are -1, -2, 0, +1, +2. I currently have it at +2 because somewhere I heard this is the best setting can anyone confirm this for me?

In addition to what Doug said, let's say you want the setting closest to a 2.2 average gamma. On one sample of this TV model/screen size, the optimal setting for 2.2 gamma might be +1. On another sample, it could be 0 or -1. My point being that you cannot assume all samples of a given model/make/screen size will perform identically.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-26-2012, 10:51 AM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 38
To make things even more confusing, there's no "one" measured gamma value either. It varies from black to white.

For example, you may have a gamma of 2.2 near white but closer to 3 near black such as this picture.

HCFR_gamma_AFTER.jpg

In the picture above the solid yellow line is gamma "after" calibration while the dotted yellow line is "before" calibration. The white line is the target. The cyan line is the average.

Kal
post #8 of 11 Old 06-26-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post

To make things even more confusing, there's no "one" measured gamma value either. It varies from black to white.
For example, you may have a gamma of 2.2 near white but closer to 3 near black such as this picture.
HCFR_gamma_AFTER.jpg
In the picture above the solid yellow line is gamma "after" calibration while the dotted yellow line is "before" calibration. The white line is the target. The cyan line is the average.
Kal

In that case, the gamma near black is most critical while changes in the top end (and even midrange) will be much less visible (using power law gamma).
post #9 of 11 Old 06-26-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 412
All true.

As someone who has calibrated a bunch of Quattrons,I can confidently say a setting of +2 is not in the right direction. I always end up with a setting between -2 and 0, with most being at -2 or -1.
On Quattrons I normally target a gamma average between 2.3 and 2.4. Some models have a 10 pt WB/gamma adjustment to further refine the gamma, and some do not.

ISF/THX calibrator, HDTVbyChadB
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:
Sony 65X950BLG 65UB9800Samsung UN65HU8550UN65HU9000, UN85HU8550, LG 55EC9300
post #10 of 11 Old 06-26-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I think I just heard a pop! which must be the OPs head wink.gif
post #11 of 11 Old 06-27-2012, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

In that case, the gamma near black is most critical while changes in the top end (and even midrange) will be much less visible (using power law gamma).

I agree with Chad on the gamma settings for the Sharp Quatrons.

That gamma curve in the graph post calibration looks quite good. Clearly not good prior to calibration.

Kevin Miller
ISF Technician
Co-Instructor ISF Level I & II Seminars
Display Product Development Consultant
kevin@isftv.com
Co-founder tweaktv.com
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page