Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-17-2012, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Hi,

I'm thinking about buying the Discus from basICColor for use to calibrate my PC monitors as well as my TV sets. I know that Spectracal offers a special enhanced version of the Discus in a bundle with Calman.

Here are my questions:

1) Can the special enhanced Discus from Spectracal still be used for PC monitor calibration via basICColor or is it now unsuitable for that ? How would the results differ for a PC calibration with an enhanced Discus compared to a standard Discus ?

2) Can I use a standard Discus with Calman and if so, how do the results in Calman differ from calibration results with an enhanced Discus ?

Thanks.

- M

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
profiling & calibration workflow tools:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

meter: Klein K-10 A, i1Pro, i1D3
AVS thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-18-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post

1) Can the special enhanced Discus from Spectracal still be used for PC monitor calibration via basICColor or is it now unsuitable for that ? How would the results differ for a PC calibration with an enhanced Discus compared to a standard Discus ?
Yes a SpectraCal sourced Discus will work with their software. Our enhanced tables will show up in their software so you can use them where applicable for increased accuracy. Where the standard Discus has more specific tables you can use them and get the same results.
Quote:

2) Can I use a standard Discus with Calman and if so, how do the results in Calman differ from calibration results with an enhanced Discus ?
Thanks.

Yes a standard Discus will work with CalMAN, but obviously you won't be able to use the tables we add to the Discus that come through our lab.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #3 of 7 Old 06-18-2012, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

@ Joel: thanks for replying.

So - in a nutshell - the standard Discus has more specific tables for monitor calibration while your enhanced Discus has more specific tables for TV set calibration using Calman ?

Not sure which one to get, I need to calibrate 4 monitors as well as 2 TV sets - the monitors do have priority though...

- M

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor

AVS thread:
post #4 of 7 Old 06-18-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

@ Joel: thanks for replying.
So - in a nutshell - the standard Discus has more specific tables for monitor calibration while your enhanced Discus has more specific tables for TV set calibration using Calman ?
Not sure which one to get, I need to calibrate 4 monitors as well as 2 TV sets - the monitors do have priority though...
- M
Not exactly.

Our discuss has everything the standard discuss has and more tables that are specific for home theater. We don't show the whole list in our software due to how specific some of the tables are.

The biggest obstacle of course is that neither software package is free. Their package doesn't have a CalMAN license and the meters from us don't include a BasICColor license.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #5 of 7 Old 06-19-2012, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Joel,

read more info about the enhanced Discus on your website, got more questions:

3) What exactly is the "Plasma support" ? Are standards Discus unsuitable for Plasma calibration ?

4) How's the Discus (standard or enhanced) in combination with Calman with Rear Projection TV sets ?

5) Also, do you guys have a service to enhance an existing, standard Discus of a user ? If so, what's the service charge for that ?

Thanks !

- M

AVS thread:
post #6 of 7 Old 06-20-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Joel,
read more info about the enhanced Discus on your website, got more questions:
3) What exactly is the "Plasma support" ? Are standards Discus unsuitable for Plasma calibration ?
4) How's the Discus (standard or enhanced) in combination with Calman with Rear Projection TV sets ?
5) Also, do you guys have a service to enhance an existing, standard Discus of a user ? If so, what's the service charge for that ?
Thanks !
- M

3) Plasma support is all about accuracy. The standard discuss doesn't have a discrete table for plasma.
4) Rear Projection TV's are typically very similar to front projection in that they use UHP Lamps, so you would get similar results as with front projectors.
5) Yes we do enhance them, I have no idea what it costs. You might just want to call up sales to find out.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #7 of 7 Old 06-20-2012, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

will do !

Thanks, Joel.

- M

AVS thread:
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page