Spyder3 TV and ColorHCFR; good enough for 2pt white balance? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 06-19-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I have the Samsung PN51E550 plasma. I don't really have the cash for an uber-expensive meter or calibration job, and anyways using both AVS HD calibration disc and Disney WOW all the basic settings (contrast, brightness, etc) appear pretty much bang on in movie mode right out of the box. The only adjustments I made were lowering sharpness, turning off filters, and according to the discs I needed to raise color one tick from default 50 to 51. So I'm not really looking for an extremely comprehensive calibration and I'm not at all interested in hacking into the service menu to get the 10pt white balance and CMS. I would really just like a relatively simple adjustment of the 2pt white balance. I know the Spyder meters seem to be rated as less accurate and reliable as compared to the other names, but would it suffice for just a simple 2pt adjustment?

My only real noticeable beef with the white balance is that I feel like it pushes a bit towards blue in lower-light/darker scenes; it's most noticeable in a low-light black and white scene that doesn't have much contrast (and I watch a lot of black and white movies so I can see it often). Anyways, I think these Samsung plasmas usually ship out of the box somewhere north of 6500, so if I can just dial it down a bit closer to 6500 that'd be great.

Here's the meter I'm thinking of;
http://www.amazon.com/ColorVision-S3TV100-Colorvision-SPYDER3-Colorimeter/dp/B001A34HXC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1340126947&sr=1-1&keywords=spyder+colorimeter
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page