What's the best meter for under 100$ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 06-20-2012, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I'm a newbie to calibration. I have an old crt rear projection by hitachi, i've been trying to find a decent meter used on kijiji but I haven't had any luck. What are the best search terms to use on a site like kijiji (Canadian Craigslist) to find colorimeters?
Until I can find a decent meter i'll be touching up the grayscale by eye (it's that bad smile.gif
Do the gain controls effect shadow detail or is it only the cutoff controls that effect shadow detail and what exactly is the difference between the gain and screen controls located on the crt focus pack. I've also heard that once i've bought a meter i'll have to have it calibrated? is that an expensive or difficult process?
I should also mention i will need a good software program as well, i'm running of a htpc and have avia so far. Thanks in advance smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-20-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Well until a few weeks ago, you could still buy an i1D2 new for around $100. However, I would never buy one of those used because they can suffer from major drift after a year or two, especially if they haven't been stored in a dry environment. Not sure about other options, but I would be careful buying anything used (unless it's been recaled or profiled) since you don't know how well it was cared for.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-20-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

What is recalibration and profiling, is that something i can do myself?
post #4 of 16 Old 06-20-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 99
None, spend the $100 on a lottery tickets and maybe win $350 so you can get the lest expensive fairly accurate meter, it would be money better spent.
For $200 you can rent an accurate meter and software for 14days.. or you can rent a spectro for $99 without software..

http://store.spectracal.com/i1pro-calibration-rental-kit.html
post #5 of 16 Old 06-20-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
If you're willing to spend a couple hundred on a used i1Pro rev D spectro, you can use it with the free ColorHCFR. It will be be very accurate on all display types and can be paired with a cheap colorimeter for speed and low light sensitivity. As far as using a sub $100 colorimeter alone, that is not worth the time nor the effort as it will only be accurate when paired with a spectro like the one I mentioned.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-20-2012, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So your saying that i need 2 things now? What is the difference between a colorimeter and a spectrometer? No i'm not willing to spend a couple hundred bucks, if i can't get a decent used meter for less than 100$ that will do better than my eye then i won't be buying a meter right now.
post #7 of 16 Old 06-20-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James View Post

So your saying that i need 2 things now? What is the difference between a colorimeter and a spectrometer? No i'm not willing to spend a couple hundred bucks, if i can't get a decent used meter for less than 100$ that will do better than my eye then i won't be buying a meter right now.

the best you can do for that money is rent a spectro w/o software (and use free ColorHCFR software instead)

any used sub-$100 colorimeter you can find won't be of any use... just wasted money
post #8 of 16 Old 06-20-2012, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So if i we're to say buy a dirt cheap low end meter i could then calibrate with a rented high end meter?
Will both types of meter do what i want? Cause if both will work then i should just save my pennies for a i1pro right unless there are other companies that make these meters at better prices?
]Even if i don't buy a meter i pretty much have nothing to lose by tweaking this crt to get the grayscale even, i realize i can't do gamma by eye though. So what is the difference between the screen, gain, and cutoff controls? is it only the cutoff control that effects shadow detail?
post #9 of 16 Old 06-20-2012, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

the best you can do for that money is rent a spectro w/o software (and use free ColorHCFR software instead)
any used sub-$100 colorimeter you can find won't be of any use... just wasted money

The Spectracal rental comes with software.

You are better off renting a meter from Spectracal for your budget. Your CRT shouldn't need recalibrating that often.

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #10 of 16 Old 06-20-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

The Spectracal rental comes with software.
You are better off renting a meter from Spectracal for your budget. Your CRT shouldn't need recalibrating that often.

The i1Pro rental kit is $200 for 14 days. I assume you're referring to the ColorMunki Rental for $100 for under 30 days? that doesn't come with CalMAN DIY if you don't already have it
post #11 of 16 Old 06-20-2012, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So if i we're to say buy a dirt cheap low end meter i could then calibrate with a rented high end meter?
Will both types of meter do what i want? Cause if both will work then i should just save my pennies for a i1pro right unless there are other companies that make these meters at better prices?
]Even if i don't buy a meter i pretty much have nothing to lose by tweaking this crt to get the grayscale even, i realize i can't do gamma by eye though. So what is the difference between the screen, gain, and cutoff controls? is it only the cutoff control that effects shadow detail?

if speed and low light sensitivity are not important to you, the spectros can be used alone... if those things do matter, you can buy a cheap colorimeter for under $100 and profile it with the rented spectro to get the accuracy of the spectro with the speed and low light sensitivity of the colorimeter... the profile will remain accurate on the display it was created on as long as the colorimeter doesn't drift (further) from the date the profile was created (by you on your actual display)
post #12 of 16 Old 06-21-2012, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Alright thanks for your help smile.gif So on to the gain, cutoff and screen controls what is the purpose of each?
post #13 of 16 Old 06-21-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Please take a read over this guide it will help give you the basics. It refers to projectors but is applicable for all types of displays.
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457
Please note this is rather dated from 2008 and meters and hardware has improved but the basics have not changed.

Also lots of data on the the Spectracal site.
http://store.spectracal.com/support/knowledge.html
post #14 of 16 Old 06-21-2012, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

The i1Pro rental kit is $200 for 14 days. I assume you're referring to the ColorMunki Rental for $100 for under 30 days? that doesn't come with CalMAN DIY if you don't already have it

You are correct. I don't think I ever looked at the Munki rental.

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #15 of 16 Old 06-23-2012, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the link smile.gif I'll probably hold off on getting a meter for now but it's good to know what I need to buy. What's a calman DIY?
post #16 of 16 Old 06-23-2012, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the link smile.gif I'll probably hold off on getting a meter for now but it's good to know what I need to buy. What's a calman DIY?

calibration software for DIY use that goes for $200

another similar package is ChromaPure Standard, which is also $200
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page