D65 converted to a paint code? probably a silly question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-21-2012, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Probably a dumb idea but I have to paint the kitchen and I really like D65 white..
I know Sherwin Williams has a system with a spectro that will read a color patch/swatch/chip or whatever you put in front of it and convert that to a paint code. Anyone know what system this and what color space it uses? Just wondered if they can manually enter the coordinates for say D65 to get a really nice white?
I know if I ask the person a the store, I will get deer eyes..

Or is it not applicable since D65 is talking about light and paint just reflect light either being neutral or adding/subtracting color from the light.. ug..think I just answered my own question..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-21-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Or is it not applicable since D65 is talking about light and paint just reflect light either being neutral or adding/subtracting color from the light.. ug..think I just answered my own question..

That's it right there, paint absorbs and reflects light but doesn't actually have any color. The color comes when you bounce light off of it.

A perfectly reflective paint + D65 light would give you a D65 looking paint.

Really you'll need to know what the light in the room looks like before you could adjust to figure what you'd need to absorb to pull it to D65.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #3 of 4 Old 06-21-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Probably a dumb idea but I have to paint the kitchen and I really like D65 white..
I know Sherwin Williams has a system with a spectro that will read a color patch/swatch/chip or whatever you put in front of it and convert that to a paint code. Anyone know what system this and what color space it uses? Just wondered if they can manually enter the coordinates for say D65 to get a really nice white?
I know if I ask the person a the store, I will get deer eyes..
Ain't logic grand? What you need for your kitchen goals is truly neutral white (or light gray) paint and D65 lighting. You can get by with high CRI (90 or better) 6500K lighting. True CIE D65 lighting is rare. You may send me a PM if you want to discuss it in more detail.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
A Lion AV Consultants Affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"
post #4 of 4 Old 06-21-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Thanks George! I think it is probably best in the end, if I just let the wife pick the paint.. No pain involved!!!
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page