Calibrate Laptop WCG Monitor to sRGB - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-24-2012, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm having a hard time calibrating and creating a profile for limiting my monitor gamut to sRGB.
The problem as you all know is that everything I see on non color managed programs are displayed wrong.
So I want to make 2 profiles, one for sRGB when doing average stuff, and another using my monitor full gamut for working.

Is this possible via only software or I am missing something? I tried setting in Spyder3 software sRGB target, but it didnt make any change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-24-2012, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Spectracal has CalPC or if you already have Calman the CalPC client that lets you do 2D LUT calibrations and creates ICC profile but that is the only software I own and don't know what else is out there. This does not do COLOR just grey scale and gamma.

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 Old 06-24-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 167
The way ICC profiles work, they just document the native gamut.

Then it's up to each application to choose to use ICC, then the content in the app can be tagged to use sRGB, or any other gamut and the application will do it's best job to try and "match" the content to the existing gamut.

As to the color on your desktop, there simply isn't anything you can do for it.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #4 of 11 Old 06-24-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

This does not do COLOR just grey scale and gamma.

It does create an ICC, which does do color. It just can't adjust the color on the desktop because nothing in windows can adjust the gamut on the desktop to be calibrated.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #5 of 11 Old 06-24-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 227
I believe ArgyllCMS can do what you want by adjusting the video card LUT rather than creating an ICC profile.

Personally I use ColorEyes Display Pro to create an ICC profile and then run Firefox as my web browser (it can be configured to color manage everything) use applications like Photoshop and Lightroom for image editing, and madVR for video playback.

That way just about anything important should be color managed.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-24-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

I believe ArgyllCMS can do what you want by adjusting the video card LUT rather than creating an ICC profile.

No it can't nothing can adjust gamut on window.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #7 of 11 Old 06-25-2012, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

So trying to calibrate and profile my monitor for an sRGB output isn't going to change how windows look?

I have a made some kind of a chart to help me understand better what happens under the hood on WCG monitors (PrtScr stands for print screen):
Code:
UNCALIBRATED

PrtScr-> RAW colors (->to Video LUT)

CALIBRATED

Current WCG  (incorrect)

PrtScr->Assumed Monitor Profile (->to profiled Video LUT)

Ideal

PrtScr->Assumed sRGB (->to profiled Video LUT)

I thought that if I profiled to sRGB it would change to:
PrtScr->Assumed Monitor Profile(sRGB) (->to (sRGB) profiled Video LUT )

Which should be correct.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-25-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

The LUT in Windows is only a set of RGB 1D ramps. They can get your gamma set correctly and they can adjust your white point to D65. They can't adjust the gamut, so if green is over-saturated on the desktop, it will still be over-saturated.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #9 of 11 Old 06-25-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Well, the most prominent issue is that everything specially the darks are darker, so most likely a gamma thing. Also excuse my question, but doesn't gamut also include the vertical (brightness) axis?

With all this what is then the procedure to fix any WCG monitor gamma to comply to sRGB? I used Spyder3 and just set as calibration target sRGB, gamma 2,2, D65, white point 80cd/m2 & 80cd/m2. That's all. Anything am I missing?

Thank you!
post #10 of 11 Old 06-25-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogway View Post

Well, the most prominent issue is that everything specially the darks are darker, so most likely a gamma thing. Also excuse my question, but doesn't gamut also include the vertical (brightness) axis?
Thank you!

Most of the time when people are talking about gamut, they are referring simply to the location of the primaries and the secondaries. The gamma does control the vertical axis and when looking holistically at color reproduction the gamma does play an important role.

If you have an sRGB gamma formula available I would use the specific gamma formula, in the absence of the sRGB formula I would use power formula with and exponent of 2.2.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #11 of 11 Old 06-25-2012, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

I don't know. I asked Datacolor mid 2011 about a new Spyder release since Spyder3 was quite old (2007). They intelligently skipped this question and recommended me to buy Spyder3 because it was suited for WCG monitors, so around November I made the decision to buy.
Now you see, in February the released Spyder4, and not only I have an outdated product that I wished to last long, but it even doesn't work for the task I asked to them.

I'm very disappointed, I also bought Spyder2, if I remember correct very late too (in 2007). I'm wasting a lot of money (that I don't have) in professional tools that don't work. In this sense I can't even progress on color management learning because things don't work as they are expected.

The sRGB gamma formula you recommend me is to use in the target sRGB calibration settings?
I'm not sure I can input a gamma formula in Spyder3 software but where is supposed one to obtain an sRGB gamma formula? doesn't WCG gamma and sRGB gamma share same values?
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page