Eizo CG275W Calibration Targets For Color Navigator - sRGB, Rec 709 & Adobe RGB - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-27-2012, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Hi,

I just purchased an Eizo CG275W and I am about to calibrate it using an i1Display Pro and Color Navigator 6.1.1.3.

I want to calibrate for sRGB, Rec 709 and Adobe RGB and I'm unsure about some settings, here's what I got so far:

(1.) sRGB

Gamut: Monitor Native (?)
Brightness: 80 cd/m2 (?)
White point: D65
Black: minimum
Tone curve: Gamma 2.2
Tone Curve Priority: Gray balance (?)

--> I'm unsure about Gamut, Brightness and Tone Curve Priority

(2.) Rec 709
White point: D65
Tone curve: Gamma 2.4

--> I'm unsure about Gamut, Brightness and Tone Curve Priority

(3.) Adobe RGB
White point: 5000K (?)
Tone curve: Gamma 2.2 (?)

--> I'm unsure about pretty much everything here... Wink

What settings should I use for the 3 targets above ?

What other targets have you calibrated for and what were the settings ?

Thanks.

- M

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
profiling & calibration workflow tools:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

meter: Klein K-10 A, i1Pro, i1D3
AVS thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-27-2012, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
For Gamut, if you want to have sRGB and AdobeRGB modes, it likely has those as gamut targets. If you use Monitor Native, that's going to be a much wider gamut than those colorspaces, so everything is going to be incorrect for them. Rec 709 and sRGB are identical except for the Gamma curve, where sRGB uses sRGB and Rec 709 has no set gamma curve and is more based on your environment. For the brightness this should be based on what you need it for. Are you in a dark environment where you have no ambient light and are doing print work? Then 80-100 cd/m2 seems good. Are you in a bright area with lots of light? Maybe 150-200 cd/m2 then.

Also, AdobeRGB has a gamma of 2.2 implied, a White Point of D65 (not 5000K), and a white point of around 160 cd/m2 based on spec. My question would be why are you setting it up this way, if you aren't sure what the values should be?

Chris Heinonen
Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity,

Displays Editor,

Contributor,
and

ISF Level II Certified Calibrator,
post #3 of 3 Old 06-28-2012, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 358
@Smackrabbit: thanx for your response, completely makes sense. This is the first time that I calibrate the Eizo (I just got it) and the first time playing with Color Navigator, I'm still confused regarding the presets of the Eizo... ;-)

Yes, obviously sRGB and Rec 709 have the same gamut, I was confused by the Gamut select menu not offering a Rec 709 option. initially I thought I would have to select a preset mode in the Eizo OSD and then calibrate for that preset (e.g. sRGB preset), that's why I thought maybe selecting monitor native is correct... Anyways, I see the option now to manually enter the RGB primaries so I can easily define any gamut.

Since the monitor will degrade over time, I assume these preset modes will be less and less useful over time... ?

Regarding the brightness, I'm uncertain which value to choose... I don't do print work, I do mainly Rec 709 editing, image editing and some graphic art, VFX & SFX. My room is not perfectly darkened so during the day it is brighter than when I work at night... so maybe 100 cd / m2 is a good compromise. Btw, if you set the Eizo higher than 120 cd / m2 your 5 year warranty is invalid, so I guess 120 cd / m2 is their recommended max... Which now also confuses me regarding setting up an Adobe RGB target... I'll email my Eizo contact...

Regarding response curves, here's how I understand it:

> sRGB has a hybrid encoding & decoding function consisting of a linear slope and a gamma curve of 1 / 2.4 or 2.4 - a straight forward Gamma of 2.2 comes closest to the native sRGB decoding response curve

> similar is Rec 709 (linear slope + 1 / 2.22 curve for encoding), with the difference that the decoding Gamma curve should end up with an final image gamma of 1.2, a straight decoding Gamma of 2.4 comes closest. That is also the value that the ITU has now set the decoding Gamma to.

Do you agree that the Tone Curve Priority should be Gray Balance ?

Thanks !

- M

calibration & profiling solutions: Lightspace, Spaceman, Calman, Argyll, ColorNavigator, basICColor
profiling & calibration workflow tools:

meter: Klein K-10 A, i1Pro, i1D3
AVS thread:
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page