Movie Mode or Standard for blu rays, TV etc - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-29-2012, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a PN59d550 samsung plasma

I am always on the fence about which mode to use.

Movie mode makes the whole picture more yellow even if you dont use warm 1 or 2.

Why is it better?

Are the movies suppose to look like movie mode and standard is changing them?

I just want to watch what its SUPPOSE to look like
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-29-2012, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 238
If you want to watch a movie as it was supposed to look like, then you probably need to calibrate your tv to the rec.709 standard. Otherwise, tweak your settings to what you like. The alternative would be to use a calibration disk like AVS HD-709, WoW, etc and at the very least adjust your basic settings (contrast, brightness, sharpness, aspect, etc). That should improve your pq. It won't be calibrated but certainly acceptable.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-29-2012, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 743
I have a 59D8000 and I use mostly movie mode, but sometimes will use standard or relax for certain types of programs (but I watch mostly movies on DirecTV HD or BluRay, but sometimes for Netflix or regular tv shows/sports will find the other settings more pleasing). It's all about what you like, it's quickly accessed so easy to change for a particular program. Do you have all the extraneous programs for eco, contrast, etc turned on or off (assuming the 550 has that much selection)? Sounds like somethings off if there's too much yellow and just maybe calibrating your set, even if just grayscale, is a good start as otto sez...

post #4 of 10 Old 06-29-2012, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

I calibrated with WoW CD.

Was just curious why people prefer movie when it alters colors so much. While i agree skin tones look better the overall colors are different from standard.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-29-2012, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceX View Post

I calibrated with WoW CD.
Was just curious why people prefer movie when it alters colors so much. While i agree skin tones look better the overall colors are different from standard.

movie mode is always closer to a D65 white point, Rec. 709 gamut, and 2.2-2.4 power law gamma... standard is not

so movie mode is the best starting point and also results in the best result post-cal

many unfamiliar with calibration might prefer standard and say movie mode looks too dim and dull (and warm) by comparison, but this is simply because they are used to seeing uncalibrated displays that produce highly inaccurate pictures
post #6 of 10 Old 06-29-2012, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Wouldn't it be nice if the standard setting was actually a reference setting of some sort rather than some sort of marketing turd version of what the name implies...more likely about the energy settings than picture quality especially with the Samsung plasmas from what I know (and experienced). Start in movie mode for your calibration and go from there...turn off the extraneous crap, too.

post #7 of 10 Old 06-30-2012, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

but why does movie mode change so drastically?

Standard is more bluer while movie is darker and a tint of yellow throughout screen.

for gaming movie is horrible and standard is better but i cant decide for blu rays
post #8 of 10 Old 06-30-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

but why does movie mode change so drastically?
Standard is more bluer while movie is darker and a tint of yellow throughout screen.
for gaming movie is horrible and standard is better but i cant decide for blu rays

like I said in my previous post, standard pic mode is nowhere near a calibrated pic while movie is typically pretty close (or at least much closer) to a calibrated pic

if you use movie mode for everything (movies, TV, and gaming), after a couple weeks or so you might get used to it and then prefer it to standard... it takes a while to get used to but in the end it's worth it if you want a pic that's as close to the source material as possible

also, you can calibrate movie either completely with a test pattern disc, meter, and software or you can do a partial calibration with just a disc and you eyes (basic settings like brightness, contrast, sharpness, color, tint, and 1:1 pixel mapping/aspect ratio)
post #9 of 10 Old 06-30-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

yeah ive calibrated basics with Disney WoW and left all things off(dynamic contrast etc)

So your saying that movie mode is closer to what is suppose to be displayed then standard?

For Games I find standard is best because movie alters it too much but movies both look really good but also alot different
post #10 of 10 Old 06-30-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yeah ive calibrated basics with Disney WoW and left all things off(dynamic contrast etc)
So your saying that movie mode is closer to what is suppose to be displayed then standard?
For Games I find standard is best because movie alters it too much but movies both look really good but also alot different

for movies and TV programming, I strongly recommend using movie mode (and calibrating it the best you can)

for games, it's up to you (but I always use movie mode for that too as I find it to look far more natural than standard or game mode)
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page