Pentile calibration? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-30-2012, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I just got my tv replaced by samsung with a PN60E550. Tv is a big improvement over my PN58C500. But one thing I noticed is around text it looked jagged. Checked specs and it is 1080p. Compared with tv at a few of the local big box places. Same thing. I finally realized where I had seen this before. I realized my old phone was similar (moto photon, now have a gnex which is also pentile but 720 packed in a 5" screen makes it a non issue). Even looked close and counted pixels to see the RGBG sub pixel layout.

So I was just wondering if there were any special rules and such I should apply for looking at things like sharpness and such. I cannot really perceive the issues once I am a few feet away etc, but I am just trying to educate myself and in teh process let other know pentile screens are out there as well now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-30-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post

I just got my tv replaced by samsung with a PN60E550. Tv is a big improvement over my PN58C500. But one thing I noticed is around text it looked jagged. Checked specs and it is 1080p. Compared with tv at a few of the local big box places. Same thing. I finally realized where I had seen this before. I realized my old phone was similar (moto photon, now have a gnex which is also pentile but 720 packed in a 5" screen makes it a non issue). Even looked close and counted pixels to see the RGBG sub pixel layout.
So I was just wondering if there were any special rules and such I should apply for looking at things like sharpness and such. I cannot really perceive the issues once I am a few feet away etc, but I am just trying to educate myself and in teh process let other know pentile screens are out there as well now.

you might just need to go into the advanced picture settings menu and disable edge enhancement and then fine tune sharpness using a test pattern (though a setting of zero might be optimal for a Samsung)
post #3 of 3 Old 06-30-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 265
+1
Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page