Panel light - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-11-2012, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi,

I have chromapure with a xrite display 2 spectroradiometer and a display 3 colorimeter. I have searched in the chromapure manual and also the "grayscale for dummies" HFCR webpage, but I cannot find anywere what to do with panel light. I have a plasme that can ajust panel light, and the lcd's I have seen so far as well. When I try to set contrast by measuring the light output (103-130cd/), I notice that both the contrast setting as well as the panel light setting affects this. But what gives the best result, what do I need to look for?
Its difficult to find the right contrast for me since I havent found a tv yet that has white clipping, they all keep displaying the bars at 100% contrast.
Thanks!

Wouter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-11-2012, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Asuming panel light is the same as cell light it should Set to max

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #3 of 4 Old 07-12-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Why is it hard to find the best contrast setting? You set Contrast so that 100% white measures about 35 fL... a little dimmer (maybe 30 fL) for a completely dark room, or a little brighter (maybe 40 fL) if there's some light in the room.

All those instructions about finding the highest setting where you do not have white clipping... that's just baloney. All that does is find the highest possible setting for the Contrast control that doesn't cause loss of detail in highlights. You rarely want the highest possible Contrast setting, you want a COMFORTABLE Contrast setting that does not cause eyestrain. And the instructions with white level test patterns never tell you that.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #4 of 4 Old 07-12-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

All those instructions about finding the highest setting where you do not have white clipping... that's just baloney. All that does is find the highest possible setting for the Contrast control that doesn't cause loss of detail in highlights. You rarely want the highest possible Contrast setting, you want a COMFORTABLE Contrast setting that does not cause eyestrain. And the instructions with white level test patterns never tell you that.

Well, if you're calibrating an LED/LCD, then you want the highest setting where there's no white clipping and after that you can use the backlight control to get the desired light output.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page