Used Equipment and Software Support - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 07-11-2012, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please forgive the basic question, but I am starting my research into DIY calibration as I just had a new 65VT50 delivered yesterday. After doing a bit of reading, I think I've decided on starting with an i1 Pro spectrophotometer as my first meter and calman DIY software. From what I understand, I can get the whole package new from Spectracal. What I was wondering was if I were to purchase a used i1 Pro, is there any limitation in the software or meter itself that would make a used meter not work? From what I understand, if I were to buy a used meter, I would need to purchase the calman DIY software plus a spectro add-on license. Is there anything else I am missing?

Also, is there any difference between the various versions of the i1 Pro? For example, Amazon sells a version called the EOBAS Pro... from what I gather, the only difference between the various versions is the software it comes with. Are there any to avoid?

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-11-2012, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 88
If you go used, which is a great option, I'd personally suggest sticking with a Rev D... you can even get the UV Cut version and it's supported in CalMAN as an I1Pro.. You basically have everything else right.

I myself just sold my 4 i1Pro Rev D's to members here on AVS.. all sold for approx. $400 or a little more.

Make sure you get the serial number matched plate.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #3 of 20 Old 07-11-2012, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

If you go used, which is a great option, I'd personally suggest sticking with a Rev D... you can even get the UV Cut version and it's supported in CalMAN as an I1Pro.. You basically have everything else right.
I myself just sold my 4 i1Pro Rev D's to members here on AVS.. all sold for approx. $400 or a little more.
If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Thanks for the quick response! I guess I'll wait around for a deal on a used Rev. D meter. I guess I'll give the TV a few hundred hours of break in and in the meantime keep looking for a meter.
post #4 of 20 Old 07-11-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Also, the EFI ES1000 is an i1Pro... I believe a AVS member purchased one on eBay for only $75.. if so, that may have been the buy assuming it had the plate and functional.

the earlier Rev's will work but I personally recommend the Rev D.

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

ControlCAL™

post #5 of 20 Old 07-11-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:

what plate are you referring to? what does it do and what is the significance of the serial number matching?

are there any other parts/accessories it should come with? maybe something to use it with in contact mode?
post #6 of 20 Old 07-11-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

The plate isn't necessarily needed for HT use , but I do suggest you get it (they do come with it from X-Rite)... if you were going to use the meter for spot reading/print work, you will need the matching calibration plate. Resale value will be greater with it.

Here is a pic showing the common accessories

With Ambient light head fitted

ControlCAL™

post #7 of 20 Old 07-11-2012, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 167
The ambient head is required for measuring from a projector and the hanger is really nice to have for flat screens.

You need the base plate to calibrate for measuring reflectance (think paint chips) data.

Both the ambient head and base plater are serialized and should match the meter for best accuracy.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #8 of 20 Old 07-12-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The plate isn't necessarily needed for HT use , but I do suggest you get it (they do come with it from X-Rite)... if you were going to use the meter for spot reading/print work, you will need the matching calibration plate. Resale value will be greater with it.
Here is a pic showing the common accessories
With Ambient light head fitted

Is the ambient head the thing in the little black box in the top picture? or is that something else?
post #9 of 20 Old 07-12-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Yes, the ambient defuser is the black cap with the white dot. Lives in the little black box or just keep it on the meter with the cover over if you are no the type to loss parts.. just keeps the optics clean and protected but could get lost unlike the C6/D3..
post #10 of 20 Old 07-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

The ambient head is required for measuring from a projector and the hanger is really nice to have for flat screens.
You need the base plate to calibrate for measuring reflectance (think paint chips) data.
Both the ambient head and base plater are serialized and should match the meter for best accuracy.

Wow, really wish I would have read this before picking up an used i1 pro on ebay for FP and plasma calibration. I just received it, ran diagnostics (ok) and did a little testing on my computer monitor to make sure it was working.

I DON’T think that this ambient head was included…this is the first time I’ve read about this mad.gif

I quick search on the xrite site shows no accessories sold alone – anyone knows if there is any way to procure a ambient light head or am I SOL for projector calibration?
post #11 of 20 Old 07-12-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 342
You don't need the ambient light head to calibrate a projector projecting onto a screen. I used the i1Pro as my main meter for years and never put the ambient head on, and I do many FPs. You only need it if you want to calibrate a PJ facing the PJ lens instead of the screen.

You need the base (with matching serial #) if you ever want to send the meter back to Xrite for a factory recertification, though Spectracal can now provide recert services (they couldn't the bulk of the time that I used the i1Pro), and I don't think they need it.
post #12 of 20 Old 07-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Thank you, Sir. I feel much better now.
post #13 of 20 Old 07-12-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Yes, the ambient defuser is the black cap with the white dot. Lives in the little black box or just keep it on the meter with the cover over if you are no the type to loss parts.. just keeps the optics clean and protected but could get lost unlike the C6/D3..

thanks
post #14 of 20 Old 07-12-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

You don't need the ambient light head to calibrate a projector projecting onto a screen. I used the i1Pro as my main meter for years and never put the ambient head on, and I do many FPs. You only need it if you want to calibrate a PJ facing the PJ lens instead of the screen.

Agreed, no use even for FP, IMO offscreen is the way to go.. you will need it if you want to do the offset shooting facing the lens..

Where I used the ambient light head, it was for getting the spectral data of a light source, for another project of mine.. mainly some LEDS, w/Argyllcms.

You would use the plate for spot reading recal but don't need it for HT.. I suggest you do make sure you receive it unless you pay <$100 for an i1Pro.

ControlCAL™

post #15 of 20 Old 07-12-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post

Wow, really wish I would have read this before picking up an used i1 pro on ebay for FP and plasma calibration. I just received it, ran diagnostics (ok) and did a little testing on my computer monitor to make sure it was working.
I DON’T think that this ambient head was included…this is the first time I’ve read about this mad.gif

don't worry about it for monitor / display calibration, assuming you got your i1Pro for a great price.. as I said, I had no problem selling 4 i1Pros with the accessories pictured for approx. $400, a very fair price for known history and Rev D's..

ControlCAL™

post #16 of 20 Old 07-12-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Are used ColorMunki Spectros also in the market currently? I noticed SpectraCal has stopped carrying new ones recently. I eventually want to get a used spectro and would like to get a real good deal on it, considering that I'd need to spend an extra $150 on the spectro add-on license key for use with CalMAN. I don't need one just yet since I have a good profile on my C6 for my primary display. I'll be likely getting one when my C6 needs re-calibration (since the spectro can be used to create a profile negating the need for re-calibration, which isn't cheap at $175).
post #17 of 20 Old 07-12-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I have a ColorMunki Photo Spectro (full retail package including never used X-Rite's software), black one.. I will be posting it (there were a couple already interested...

ControlCAL™

post #18 of 20 Old 07-12-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I think the matched base plate is required for running the i1Diagnostics tool however.

Realisticly it has also been stated that other than a dropped (internally damaged) i1Pro nobody appears to have seen one that was actually out of specification regardles of revision.

The various revisions were released within about a year of eachother so simply getting a revision D does not insure anything other than slighty faster reads versus a revision A (B-D are about the same).

The revision D was only released for materials compliance reasons, from a function aspect all revisions are the same other than some read speed tweeks.

With that said it is suggested to get one with a more recent validation certificate from X-rite if you can, just as added assurance of accuracy.

I have talked directly with X-rite on this a couple of times.

Jason
post #19 of 20 Old 07-12-2012, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for all the advice and pictures guys... immensely helpful.

From my reading it seems that the only drawback to the i1 Pro seems to be low-light readings < 20% stimulus... how much of a hinderance is this going to be in calibrating the VT50? From some reading it seems that people have gotten even the i1 Pro to work with longer read times... either way, I'd rather not have to buy a second meter to get the low end calibrated if I don't have to...
post #20 of 20 Old 04-28-2013, 01:11 AM
Advanced Member

Would a Calman Enhanced Spyder3 and a I1Pro be a usable combo? I already have the Spyder and Calman V3.7, and want to upgrade to V5 Enthusiast to take advantage of autocal with my Radiance XD. Would any version of the I1Pro work with Calman?
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page