Monitor Calibration question (Brightness) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-13-2012, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So im trying to calibrate my monitors (3 of them) I use them on my office, mostly (90 % of the time programming) (black background dark white/light grey txt) Now the real question.

Im trying to calibrate my monitors using the Spyder4Elite, when it scans when the lights are on it says Medium, and recommends setting my monitor between 175-200 ca/m^2 , but when the lights are off it detects my ambient light to be Low, and it recommends my brightness to be between 125-150 ca/m^2...

I normally work on my office from 5pm to 1am (i know weird hours)

So basically about 50% of the time the ambient light is medium, and the other 50% is Low, so how should i calibrate my monitor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-13-2012, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMiguel View Post

So im trying to calibrate my monitors (3 of them) I use them on my office, mostly (90 % of the time programming) (black background dark white/light grey txt) Now the real question.
Im trying to calibrate my monitors using the Spyder4Elite, when it scans when the lights are on it says Medium, and recommends setting my monitor between 175-200 ca/m^2 , but when the lights are off it detects my ambient light to be Low, and it recommends my brightness to be between 125-150 ca/m^2...
I normally work on my office from 5pm to 1am (i know weird hours)
So basically about 50% of the time the ambient light is medium, and the other 50% is Low, so how should i calibrate my monitor?

you could either split the difference or setup a day and night mode (if possible)
post #3 of 4 Old 07-13-2012, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

you could either split the difference or setup a day and night mode (if possible)
\

it seems like every one in the internet, suggest 120 cd/m2 but that on my iMac doesnt work very well.. Since the panel doesnt have an AG coating, it reflects alot the image, i think they make this screens so bright (400+ cd/m2) to prevent that much reflection...

i been using the iMac at max brightness for about 1 year... but not sure if thats bad for my eyes... Also i didnt use that much before, now that im using it alot, im not sure whats a good setting for always looking at the screen.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-14-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Nothing is "bad for your eyes". The only problem you will have if the screen is too bright is squinting (face muscles) or headache (eye-strain). Headaches from eye-strain do not hurt your eyes, only hurt your head.

If you use a dimmer screen, your eyes will be more comfortable. To eliminate reflections, you must remove light that is behind you. You can turn the computer in a different direction or close curtains... anything that will reduce the light behind you.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page