How to save daylight and night settings for Samsung ES series tv? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-17-2012, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last weekend I calibrated a Samsung LED tv of a friend.

Worked without a problem. But how can you save the found daylight and night settings?

Usually (LG, Panasonic, ..) you have two profiles where you can store them and switch between them.

But how is this done with Samsung tvs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-17-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV-Freak View Post

Last weekend I calibrated a Samsung LED tv of a friend.
Worked without a problem. But how can you save the found daylight and night settings?
Usually (LG, Panasonic, ..) you have two profiles where you can store them and switch between them.
But how is this done with Samsung tvs?

There are CAL-DAY and CAL-NIGHT modes that can be activated in the service menu. In the SM, you select Expert and then turn the N/D ADJUST item ON. There is also a FIX option that locks the settings (OFF, ON, and FIX being the three choices for this item) and the SOURCE item lets you either use separate settings for each source (CURRENT) or the same settings for everything (ALL). Be careful in the SM and only use the up and down arrow buttons on the TV remote to scroll down to the Expert section of the SM and then press enter to access that menu. Then select the item you want to adjust by highlighting it and pressing enter and then the right arrow or left arrow buttons can be used to change the value of the item. You can press the menu button to go back a menu and the power button to exit the SM.

Since the left/right arrow buttons change values in the SM, don't trying using them to navigate through the menus (many have bricked their sets this way).
post #3 of 8 Old 07-17-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 502
These cal day and night modes are buggy. I just did a UN- ES7100 the other day and couldn't use them because the 10 pt controls were global between the day and night, and that causes problems.
Might be possible to use Cal Day and then Movie for night, since movie's 10 pt controls weren't tied in with the cal modes. However, I didn't end up doing that myself because after discussing it with my customer he decided he just wanted one mode instead of day and night modes, so I just did Movie.

ISF/THX calibrator with Jeti 1211 reference spectro
Latest reviews:LG 65UB9800Samsung UN65HU8550UN65HU9000, UN85HU8550, LG 55EC9300, LG 55EA8800 (including 3D)

Why I don't publish settings, Review index and rankings, Florida tour Dec '14, Texas tour Jan '15
post #4 of 8 Old 07-17-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

These cal day and night modes are buggy. I just did a UN- ES7100 the other day and couldn't use them because the 10 pt controls were global between the day and night, and that causes problems.
Might be possible to use Cal Day and then Movie for night, since movie's 10 pt controls weren't tied in with the cal modes. However, I didn't end up doing that myself because after discussing it with my customer he decided he just wanted one mode instead of day and night modes, so I just did Movie.

do all current Samsungs have such issues or only certain models/samples?
post #5 of 8 Old 07-17-2012, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for this great informations.

I will give it this weekend a try.

Hm, I just had a call with my friend. In the service menu the entry Expert is greyed out and not selectable ...
post #6 of 8 Old 07-17-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Greetings

It's been buggy for more than a few generations now. Don't even bother trying to lock those night and day modes since the TV has a way of resetting itself when you leave the SM. Lock those day night modes into the default positions is what happens with no way to change it.

regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #7 of 8 Old 08-02-2012, 12:30 AM

Hi,

I wondering about how to access the expert menu as well. I got the UE46ES6300.
I can live with shared 10p settings between night and day really.
Right now I'm tired of adjusting the backlight from 9 to 16 based on the lighting...
post #8 of 8 Old 08-02-2012, 01:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I had a samsung d630 and the night setting would not hold and go back to day setting all the time which was too bright for night viewing.I got a bit of a headache from the brightness.
Reply Display Calibration