Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-18-2012, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
TWD
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
When a VT50 set is professionally calibrated are the ISF Day/Night settings locked in and not available to the user? For example, I am going to have my set calibrated, but I may want to tweak a little. Will I be able to do this? If locked, are the settings visible so I can copy them over to CUSTOM and do the tweaking there?

The reason I ask is in the THX cinema mode, skin tones sometimes look too "warm" in WARM 2 and I'll tweak it as needed.

TWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-18-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD View Post

When a VT50 set is professionally calibrated are the ISF Day/Night settings locked in and not available to the user? For example, I am going to have my set calibrated, but I may want to tweak a little. Will I be able to do this? If locked, are the settings visible so I can copy them over to CUSTOM and do the tweaking there?
The reason I ask is in the THX cinema mode, skin tones sometimes look too "warm" in WARM 2 and I'll tweak it as needed.

The settings are not available. ISF modes still enable Aspect adjustments, HDMI settings, and Advanced picture Mosquito NR, Motion Smoother, and Black level.

Either copy down the settings when the display is calibrated or if the calibrator uses ControlCal ask for the xml file - the settings are there. Then you can input everything into Custom.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #3 of 6 Old 07-18-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:

I would think that "tweaking" after a professional calibration would alter the settings somewhat so that your set would no longer be calibrated as defined by established parameters. Writing down the settings as much as you can is always a good idea especially if you mess something up with tweaking so that you can always go back to square one. Or, as suggested, import to the settings to another cal field (Custom I guess on your set) and play to your heart's content. That way you can always quickly go back to what you paid a lot of money for which is the calibration if need be.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-18-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:

While you may wish to do a little tweaking post-cal, keep in mind some changes may hurt your professional calibration. Like the others mentioned, keep a record of all your post-cal settings before making any changes yourself (you can save them on your computer and even print them out to have a hard copy). Also, when the actual calibration is being performed, make sure you're happy with the result before the calibrator leaves in case you want them to tweak or change something. Most calibrators will be happy to do so and the best time to ask is when they show you some reference material near the end of the calibration, as that is where you might find something you'd like altered.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-18-2012, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Thanks all. Just the info I needed. I understand that tweaking may invalidate the the purpose of the calibration and I don't want to do that. I'll discuss with the Calibrator when I have it done.

TWD
post #6 of 6 Old 07-19-2012, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Hi TWD,

As others have said the ISF modes are locked. You are correct that ion the THX Mode Warm 2 color temperature is minus blue, which will appear reddish/greenish in certain luminance ranges especially with Skin Tones. However, the ISF modes when the grayscale is corrected will not look that way if the job is done correctly so you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Kevin Miller
ISF Technician
Co-Instructor ISF Level I & II Seminars
Display Product Development Consultant
kevin@isftv.com
Co-founder tweaktv.com
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page