New Apartment Screwed up My LCDs Custom Calibrations! WHY?!! PLEASE HELP!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-20-2012, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I just recently moved into a new place, and I just set up my Sharp LCD in my room. When I went to turn it on? It looked great! Though, when I started playing games, and watching Netflix/ movies (I use my Xbox360 for everything)? I started to notice the contrast and brightness were way out of wack!

The contrast was over saturating the whites, and my blacks were so hard/ dense... Thinking, at first, "Oh, my settings must have gotten messed up from unplugging the TV from my old place, and reset to default." I check to see if that was the case? It wasn't!

I'm so confused by this because I calibrated my TV like an art at my previous place. everything looked great at the setting they were at, and now they look like garbage! Not only do I have to drop my contrast ratio, but I also have to raise my brightness up to over the 50% marker! Everything's washed out now! Though, using the calibration tools I have from this site, this is the correct setting its supposed to be at now?! Am I missing something?? I'm at a huge loss here as to why my TV's calibrations are all out of wack!

Is it the voltage coming out of the wall? Did the Xbox360 recently update the Source material for color coding to something outrages now? I'm kind of bummed...

If anyone has an answer, or can at least speculate whats happened? Id love the input!

Thanks you.

Posting my before/ after Custom calibrations and my Sharp LCD model number below:

Sharp Aquos LC-42D64U

Before Custom Calibrations (old house)-

Mode: Dynamic
Backlight: +0
Contrast: 32
Brightness: -1
Color: +0
Tint: -11
Sharpness: -4
Color Temp: Low
Active Contrast: Off
Fine Motion: Off
Film Mode: Off

*NEW* Custom Calibrations (new house)

Mode: Dynamic
Backlight: +0
Contrast: +26
Brightness: +11
Color: +2
Tint: -11
Sharpness: -4
Color Temp: Low
Active Contrast: Off
Fine Motion: Off
Film Mode: Off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2012, 12:23 AM

Liked: 32
Unless you actually used proper calibration equipment, your tv was only visually changed to your liking in the prev. residence. So looks like you have to go back through your settings and make the basics fit the new place. Has nothing to do with voltage, all it has to do, is with the changes in the menu. In order to do a proper calibration, you have to get into the Service menu to make those changes.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 175
It really looks like your video levels changed from video to PC.

I'd suspect a setting in your xbox changed.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
Old 07-21-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

+1; sounds like the most likely explanation, given that the issue is white level and black level related
Old 07-21-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Unless you actually used proper calibration equipment, your tv was only visually changed to your liking in the prev. residence. So looks like you have to go back through your settings and make the basics fit the new place. Has nothing to do with voltage, all it has to do, is with the changes in the menu. In order to do a proper calibration, you have to get into the Service menu to make those changes.

Lol, yes I'm aware I need to change the settings in the menu. If you read my post it states i did that for the new place. Dur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

See, Thats what i thought too! The xbox settings r all calibrated to there default settings. I dont understand why it has made the black levels so washed out
Old 07-21-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hifty View Post

Lol, yes I'm aware I need to change the settings in the menu. If you read my post it states i did that for the new place. Dur.
See, Thats what i thought too! The xbox settings r all calibrated to there default settings. I dont understand why it has made the black levels so washed out

is there a black level setting on the TV as well?

in any case, I'd toggle back and forth between video and PC levels on both devices to see if it reverts back to its correct state (sometimes these controls can be a bit buggy)
Old 07-21-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

is there a black level setting on the TV as well?
in any case, I'd toggle back and forth between video and PC levels on both devices to see if it reverts back to its correct state (sometimes these controls can be a bit buggy)

No, theres just the gimmick "Dynamic Contrast" setting and "film mode". There's no black level like they have on the samsung LCDs.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Check your HDMI color space in the XBox.

Sounds like it thinks you're hooked up to a PC rather than a TV. Might want to try RGB.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.