CalMan 5 Release Notes and Discussion - Page 111 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 170Likes

post #3301 of 3318 Old 06-22-2016, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1471 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
CalMAN 2016 (Version: 5.7.0) - Build: 2357 Released @ 22 June 2016

Changes from RC2 (Build: 2353)

Rebranding and a new look for all CalMAN downloads. This includes new a splash screen, logos, and some UI improvements.

Resolved an issue where the 2 point 50%, Peak White dataset was not using Peak White.

Download Links
Is this a free upgrade for those of us who have the previous major release of CalMAN with an active maintenance plan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3302 of 3318 Old 06-22-2016, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Is this a free upgrade for those of us who have the previous major release of CalMAN with an active maintenance plan?
Hi, it's free upgrade for the users that have active maintenance paid.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #3303 of 3318 Old 06-22-2016, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
This is a re-branding of the 5.7.0 RCs, so if you can run those, you can run this. If you needed to update your maintenance to run CalMAN 5.7.0, then you'll need to renew.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #3304 of 3318 Old 06-22-2016, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 2154 Post(s)
Liked: 1666
CalMAN 2016
Version: 5.7.0 Build: 2357
Official Release: June 22, 2016
New Features
Enhanced Dolby Vision Support
CalMAN now imports Dolby Vision .dvgr files to add or update Dolby Vision Golden References for Dolby Vision calibration (Enthusiast)
Added HDR10 Support
New HDR10 workflow. Requires Studio, Expert, Professional, Ultimate, or Enthusiast license levels. (Enthusiast)
New Home HDR report. This report also works with the Dolby Vision workflow for those Enthusiasts who do not have access to the Dolby Vision report. (Enthusiast)
Added support for the AVTOPcontroller for the HDfury Integral 4K60 under sources. By inserting the HDfury Integral 4K60 between a standard pattern generator and display, it can be used to inject HDR10 (CEA 861.3) metadata into the signal. With the AVTOPcontroller software, CalMAN can change the metadata directly. Otherwise, the HDR10 InfoFrame HEX string data are available under the Source tab and it can be copied into the HDfury Integral 4K60’s Windows software UI manually. (Enthusiast)
Widened BT.2020 Support
Added BT.2020 HDR Colorspace Target. (All)
Improved OLED Support
Added Full Field Pattern Insertion feature for OLED displays. With this feature enabled, OLED auto dimming feature is defeated, which is important to get a proper calibration. This feature is under Application Measurement Options and allows the user to specify frequency (in seconds), pattern duration (in seconds) and the pattern level. (All)
Added the OLED Judd Modified white point. (All)
Panasonic
Added support for the 2016 Panasonic DX800/DX900 displays. (Control, Enthusiast)
Added a new EDR for the C6 to support LCD (LED PFS phosphor) displays. (Example Panasonic DX800/DX900). (All)
HP
Added 33 & 65 PC level 1D LUT data point options for the HP DreamColor z27x display. (Enthusiast)
Murideo
Added support for the Murideo SIX-G to the CalMAN Enthusiast license level.
Added Dolby Vision support to the Murideo SIX-G (firmware 1.77 or newer required). Note - There are currently issues with firmware version 1.77 which causes it to pass the wrong metadata for Dolby Vision to the display. (Enthusiast)
Added BT.2020 support for the Murideo SIX-G (firmware 1.77 or newer required). (Enthusiast)
Changes
- Rebranding and a new look for all CalMAN downloads. This includes new a splash screen, logos, and some UI improvements. (All)
- Changed the default data point setting for the Grayscale - Multi layout on the Quick Analysis workflow to 21 instead of 23. ( Control, Enthusiast)
- Headers are now included when copying data out of a datagrid. (All)
- Minor updates to the Home Advanced workflow (Enthusiast)
- Minor updates to the Home Report (Enthusiast, Control, Basic)
- Updated the Dolby Vision Workflow (Enthusiast)
Resolved Issues
- Resolved an issue which could potentially cause hangs when generating 3D LUTs. (Control, Enthusiast)
- Ensured that patterns display correctly in the layout pattern window in the Visual Verification layout of the Monitor - Advanced workflow. (All Installers)
- CalMAN now properly displays "the report is unlicensed" when attempting to open an unlicensed report. (All)
- Resolved an issue that could cause the SpectraCal C6 meter report abnormal data for very close to black readings. (All)
- Resolved issue with the Home Enthusiast workflow that would cause it to populate pre data into the Home Report instead of Post. (Enthusiast)
- Resolved an issue where CalMAN would default the Murideo SIX-G to the Skintone pattern on connect/disconnect instead of the Grayscale Ramp. (Enthusiast)
- Resolved an issue that would cause failed calibrations on all EIZO models. (Enthusiast) (Was present in RC1. Was not in 5.6.1)
- Resolved an issue where the 2 point 50%, Peak White dataset was not using Peak White. (All)
AVfile likes this.

UN65HU9000 with SEK-3500U - Mine
UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U / UN32EH5300 / 2 X LG 55LHXs - wife's !
PN64F8500 up for sale
post #3305 of 3318 Old 06-22-2016, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 123
@WiFi-Spy

Nice tutorial about the new features.

Thanks
AVfile likes this.

#1 Calibration Disk / Best Support: Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk
#1 Calibration Software / Best Support: LightSpace CMS - Calibration Comparison
post #3306 of 3318 Old 06-27-2016, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 192
I've tried googling/searching the Spectracal forums but can't quite seem to find an answer:

When I create a meter profile using CalMAN (in this case using an i1 Pro to profile an iD3), where is the file saved? I want to make a copy of it should I ever have to re-install Windows or upgrade my computer and don't need to re-create the profile on a fresh install of CalMAN.

Thanks!
post #3307 of 3318 Old 06-27-2016, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
I've tried googling/searching the Spectracal forums but can't quite seem to find an answer:

When I create a meter profile using CalMAN (in this case using an i1 Pro to profile an iD3), where is the file saved? I want to make a copy of it should I ever have to re-install Windows or upgrade my computer and don't need to re-create the profile on a fresh install of CalMAN.

Thanks!
Hi, The meter profiles are saved there: C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\SpectraCal\CalMAN 5 Home Theater\Profiles

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
post #3308 of 3318 Old 06-27-2016, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Hi, The meter profiles are saved there: C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\SpectraCal\CalMAN 5 Home Theater\Profiles
Ahh, I found those earlier in my search but they are not named what I saved them as when I created the profiles in CalMAN.

Is there a way to verify which profile is which or should I just copy all the files in the 'Profiles' folder and then paste them back if I ever fresh install CalMAN?
post #3309 of 3318 Old 06-27-2016, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Ahh, I found those earlier in my search but they are not named what I saved them as when I created the profiles in CalMAN.

Is there a way to verify which profile is which or should I just copy all the files in the 'Profiles' folder and then paste them back if I ever fresh install CalMAN?
If your meter serial is 00100004, and you have created 10 differenent meter profiles named as Samsung/LG/Sony etc.... then all these tsaved profiled will be inside the 00100004.ccfx file.

Meter profiles are not working for ages, meters are drifting over the time also, so it's better to create new tables more frequently

If you keep data about the XYZ 3x3 matrix CalMAN number of the same display using the same meters each month for example, you will see the differences.

If you own both spectro/colorimeter it's better to create a new table before each calibration sessions.
p5browne likes this.

Last edited by ConnecTEDDD; 06-27-2016 at 11:33 AM.
post #3310 of 3318 Old 06-27-2016, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2407 Post(s)
Liked: 1756
Quote:
If your meter serial is 00100004, then the saved profiled will be the 00100004.ccfx file.

Meter profiles are not working for ages, meters are drifting over the time also, so it's better to create new tables more frequently

If you keep data about the XYZ 3x3 matrix CalMAN number of the same display using the same meters each month for example, you will see the differences.

If you own both spectro/colorimeter it's better to create a new table before each calibration sessions.
Hi Ted,

While I agree in general especially if you measure different displays, it also depends on the meter and the degree of accuracy you're after, as well as the amount of drift from the display anyway. IF you always measure the same display in the same room, I would argue that with the right amount of care depending on the meter reprofiling everytime isn't necessary, especially as you have to check a profile after you make a new one, which can be time consuming.

With a flat panel, then sure, creating a new profile before each session is better (but not necessary depending on the meter, see below).

With a projector which drifts anyway as the lamp ages, you can't compare two results taken a few days apart within the accuracy of the meter/profile, even if you let display and meter warm-up for one hour.

It also depends on the meter. Some drift, some don't.

I've done many tests with my Discus which has glass filters. It doesn't drift at all. ZERO drift. Compared to an i1 display2, or a Chroma 5 which would significantly drift over time, it simply remains exactly the same year after year after year (compared to an up to date, certified i1pro2).

As long as you're careful when you create the profile to note the field of view of each meter so it measures the same area, its exact position and angle, and the exact area of the screen its aiming at (which helps with a meter like the discus which has a laser pointer), there is IMHO no need to reprofile every time.

I position the Discus every time at the same distance from the screen, in the same room, aiming exactly at the center of the smallest window pattern I can display, from the exact same angle I used when I last profiled it, and I get absolutely repeatable results session after session. Reprofiling would give me zero improvement in accuracy.

I do reprofile if I change projector or when I profile a different display, for example I created a new profile when measuring the LS10000 or the Sony VW500ES, I didn't use my JVC profile to do this. Of course if I was measuring different displays in different rooms I would also reprofile. But with my usual JVC projector in my room, taking the precautions mentioned above, I don't reprofile everytime because it's simply not necessary.
post #3311 of 3318 Old 06-27-2016, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I have set my routine to re-profiling every 6 months. I think this would be a fair amount of time between profiling.
But, if one is carrying the profile over a larger amount of time, I don't think this is a good idea.
It's not like the profiling is a long and tedious affair, it's not.

PN64F8500 up for sale
post #3312 of 3318 Old 06-27-2016, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
I have set my routine to re-profiling every 6 months. I think this would be a fair amount of time between profiling.
But, if one is carrying the profile over a larger amount of time, I don't think this is a good idea.
It's not like the profiling is a long and tedious affair, it's not.
Why six months and not 3 or 9 or 18?

If your meter drifts, you have to re-profile more frequently than every six months, or your calibration isn't accurate.

If your meter doesn't drift, there is nothing to gain in reprofiling (as long as you follow the guidelines I shared earlier).
post #3313 of 3318 Old 06-27-2016, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Why six months and not 3 or 9 or 18?

If your meter drifts, you have to re-profile more frequently than every six months, or your calibration isn't accurate.

If your meter doesn't drift, there is nothing to gain in reprofiling (as long as you follow the guidelines I shared earlier).
If your meter drifts you can manage your total error budget by properly selecting time between profiling based on acceptable deviation introduced by the meter.
post #3314 of 3318 Old 06-27-2016, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
If your meter drifts you can manage your total error budget by properly selecting time between profiling based on acceptable deviation introduced by the meter.
Exactly. My meter doesn't drift, hence no need to reprofile. A meter that drifts a lot needs reprofiling more often than 6 months. I just don't get in which way a fixed value like 6 months helps in any way.
post #3315 of 3318 Old 06-27-2016, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Unless you send in your Meter to Spectracal, how can you tell if it's drifting when you don't have a reference other than comparing results with the Spectro, versus the Colormeter, and comparing with past results?

PN64F8500 up for sale
post #3316 of 3318 Old 06-27-2016, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Unless you send in your Meter to Spectracal, how can you tell if it's drifting when you don't have a reference other than comparing results with the Spectro, versus the Colormeter, and comparing with past results?
You can view the profile tables after profiling and see any change. Or, am I missing your question?
post #3317 of 3318 Old 06-27-2016, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Drifting has nothing to do with being reference. I simply compare the readings from my profiled meter (Discus in my case) to my spectro (i1pro2). Every single time I run this check, I get exactly the same results, hence my profiled meter (Discus) doesn't drift.
The i1pro2 doesn't drift either. When you send the i1pro2 for recalibration to x-rite (I'm in Europe so can't send it to Spectracal), they only do a verification. They never recalibrate it. If they do, it means your i1pro2 is defective and they charge a lot more than when they recertify it (this information comes from x-rite themselves). So if you pay the usual price for a recalibration, it means your i1pro/pro2 hasn't drifted. The information they send you in the certificate is exactly the same as the time before and as the information provided in the certificate that came with it when you purchased it.
So the i1pro2 is not a reference meter, but it can be used, as long as it isn't defective (and mine isn't as it's regularly verified) to check whether another meter, the Discus in this case, drifts or not.
By the way, the fact that the discus doesn't drift thanks to its glass filters is well-documented, I'm not making this up, I just don't take manufacturers' claims for granted and have verified it many times before trusting it. I used to have an i1 display2 and a chroma 5, and I would never have not reprofiled these for more than one month. They were drifting almost as fast than the bulb in the projector!
Anyway, I think we're off topic, I just wanted to specify in which way and in which case it wasn't necessary to reprofile a meter.
Everyone is free to do what they want. If reprofiling every session, or every 6 months, makes you feel better, more power to you, as long as you check every new profile as it's very easy to create a bad profile, even when created with the greatest care.
Reprofiling before every session, as long as you check the profile every time as well, is certainly the safest option if you don't take the precautions I do to make sure I get repeatable results with the same profile. You certainly can't re-use a profile and expect accurate results if the FOV, position, distance, angle of the meter, area of the screen measured, room (especially amount of ambient light, I have none in my bat loft), display and screen are not the same as when you profiled it.

Last edited by Manni01; 06-27-2016 at 09:32 PM.
post #3318 of 3318 Old 07-06-2016, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

CalMAN 2016 (Version: 5.7.0a) - Build: 2359 Released @ 6 July 2016

Resolved Issues

Resolved an issue where client licenses or client license packs were not being applied correctly.

Download Links

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration