CalMan 5 Release Notes and Discussion - Page 112 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 172Likes
post #3331 of 3334 Unread 08-03-2016, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
I'll take another look this evening. I don't print reports. That's for smart people.

Seems though that even with a .8 dE 2000, I can see some differences on the color checker with certain patches and presumably with only certain types of errors.

Just as a practical matter, is this theory correct? You really should use a stimulus level that nails the grayscale for the same level in terms of RGB and gamma. If its not 75% than something pretty close to it?

Wonder how this affects LUTs processing?

Is the point of using 75% stimulus to find the lowest stimulus level that provides acceptable results? My KURO calibrates much better and much faster using 100% stimulus I have found (except for 100% white for some reason).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 3334 Unread 08-03-2016, 04:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8sound View Post
Is the point of using 75% stimulus to find the lowest stimulus level that provides acceptable results? My KURO calibrates much better and much faster using 100% stimulus I have found (except for 100% white for some reason).
If a display was absolutely dead linear, I don't think it would matter. Problem is that consumer displays aren't. Many find that using 75% saturation and 75% stimulus provides a more accurate picture....than say using 100% saturation. Specifically, on my Samsung F8500 plasma, I use 80% saturation...which from what I gather is a bit of an odd bird but it does get me pretty good flesh tones. If I used 100% saturation of the F8500, skin tones tend to be a bit pale. I guess it becomes a question of compromise. What gives you the best picture for your taste. I prefer good skin tones as its pretty obvious when its not.

We watch a lot of satellite and OTA. Even with a good calibration, some content is mastered either over or under saturation. However, commercials look pretty good.
post #3333 of 3334 Unread 08-04-2016, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
CalMAN 2016 5.7.1 Open Beta - Build: 2391 Released @ 04 August 2016

Release Notes

Added support for the Rhode and Schwarz VTC pattern generator (Ultimate, Professional, Expert, Studio)

Added support for the CRI CR-300 Spectro (Ultimate, Professional, Studio, Studio Lite, ColorMatch)

Added support for the Flanders Scientific BoxIO. This supports 1D and 3D LUTs. (Ultimate, Studio)

Resolved a file permissions issue in the C:\Programdata sub directory which could cause a number of problems including errors adding license keys, log file errors on startup, and similar.

Known Issue

Somehow Quick Analysis workflow got set to PC levels instead of Video levels. Heads up for anyone who might get caught unawares.

Download Links

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #3334 of 3334 Unread 08-04-2016, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
If a display was absolutely dead linear, I don't think it would matter. Problem is that consumer displays aren't. Many find that using 75% saturation and 75% stimulus provides a more accurate picture....than say using 100% saturation. Specifically, on my Samsung F8500 plasma, I use 80% saturation...which from what I gather is a bit of an odd bird but it does get me pretty good flesh tones. If I used 100% saturation of the F8500, skin tones tend to be a bit pale. I guess it becomes a question of compromise. What gives you the best picture for your taste. I prefer good skin tones as its pretty obvious when its not.

We watch a lot of satellite and OTA. Even with a good calibration, some content is mastered either over or under saturation. However, commercials look pretty good.

I need to also qualify my statement that I'm referring to better results creating the 3D LUT in eeColor Box and then measuring the results. The brighter patterns not only significantly speed up readings of the color patches, but also improves the final results both in the reports and watching content. If 3D LUTs were not being employed to correct the signal, I might not be making these statements.
chunon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration