CalMan 5 Release Notes and Discussion - Page 120 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 283Likes

post #3571 of 3574 Old 03-27-2017, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3W813 View Post
Just curious, how large of an effect will the errors introduced by the meter profiling process have on a calibration?

For instance, if I have a calibration that has less than 1 dE average across the board, will the errors affect the calibration by a degree of 1-3 dE or something like 5-10 dE?

Thanks
Good question....does anybody know?

Klein K-10A, CR250, i1D3, i1Pro2, Calman Enthusiast, LG 65B6P, Panasonic 65VT50, and a great wife that puts up with all this.:)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3572 of 3574 Old 03-28-2017, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Good question....does anybody know?
I think there's no hard and fast answer here. Too many variables, and results would vary from run to run because of meter and display repeatability.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #3573 of 3574 Old Yesterday, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Has or will anyone use CalMan Enthusiast to calibrate a Sony Z9D?

Will be receiving this TV next week and was just wondering if there is any info on the best way to use CalMan with this TV.

Thank you for any info/advice.

Regards to all,

Steve

post #3574 of 3574 Old Today, 01:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Easy to test for differences between a profiled and un-profiled meter. The issue is will you see a difference let alone measure it.

It would require a reasonable amount of data.

you need to look at the accuracy and precision, however because of the influences of display variability and possibly source variability accuracy is confined to the noise of the system and ability of the meter being tested.

Select your reference meter, run the simple color checker routine. output the data to a spread sheet. repeat until 5~6 sets of data.
Select the colorimeter Un-profiled, run the simple color checker routine. output the data to a spread sheet. repeat until 5~6 sets of data.
Select the colorimeter profiled, run the simple color checker routine. output the data to a spread sheet. repeat until 5~6 sets of data.

you could start with the primary and secondary colors, but I'd advise the color checker to look at internal color volume and thus avoid anywhere where the display could clip.

The concept of 5~6 sets of each color and greyscale is to look for repeatability, 5~6 sets is the minimum to be statistically relevant, which is under the umbrella of accuracy and precision.
We would first look for precision
Avoid dE as this adds another equation, just use raw xyY, u'v' or XYZ.

First plot the reference data into a xy chart, look for clumps of 5 readings.
If they are tightly grouped you have reasonable precision to work with, you should find each colors standard deviation. You kind of need a 3 d chart for xyY.
But you can run average and standard deviations on x,y and Y, XYZ, also plotting each component individually you could identify precision differences.

Then repeat with the Un-profiled data and profiled data.

Then compare the data against the reference, which is closer?
If the clumps of data points over run each other you can get close to no difference, especially if the average of the data point plus the standard deviation crosses into the other meters average and standard deviation.

Masterpiece Calibration Ltd
Lincolnvilleshire
New Zealand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration