CalMan 5 Release Notes and Discussion - Page 135 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 459Likes

post #4021 of 4048 Old 09-17-2017, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
From Latest Beta: ''Added support for the HDFury SDK. This enables the HDFury support without the need to copy and paste data from their software. It is listed under HDFury for the manufacturer. The old method is still there under AVTOPcontroller.''

Since the Beta support the SDK which HD Fury released to public for software developers, the AVTOP is not needed, CalMAN can (if the current bug solved) control HD Fury products directly.

Unless there some special instructions not mentioned anywhere yet, seems that its a feature not tested before the Beta release, this is why no-one can make it work (propably this is why is not available that feature at the beta release notes, who knows)

Concur my issue is with HDfury SDK connection not working, Calman now has added option in Source /find source - Manufacturer HDfury, Model HDfury - Integral/Linker/Vertex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4022 of 4048 Old 09-17-2017, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked: 2082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
Wonder if new firmware will be needed for the HDFury products?
HD Fury hasn't released any firmware from July 2017.

There no need for any new firmware since the new DV mode which CalMAN will support is not a capability of HD Fury to generate any DV metadata.

DV signal is a special 8-bit signal (which is including internally YCbCr 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 12bit with dynamic metadata per frame), so CalMAN with LG engineers have agree to a specific HDR10 where when the LG 2017 receives it; it's disabling the DV internal tone/gamut mapping. So HD Fury is used to add just that HDR10 special metadata to the special DV signal.

If we knew that exact code, which is easy to find if you connect 2 HD Fury products together, the first HD Fury product will be commanded from CalMAN for that metadata and the second HD Fury product will grab that metadata from the first unit....then you will be able to send that metadata without connecting HD Fury products from inside CalMAN.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #4023 of 4048 Old 09-17-2017, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Only true if using the hdmi output.

If using an external (sdr) TPG, then the Linker will need to convert 8bit RGB (thorethically it could also be 10bit, but all SDR TPGs & Calman itself use 8bit patterns anyways, if I'm not mistaken) to BT.2020 based YCbCr (12bit but only 8bits are used), tunnel that into 8bit RGB encoded DV with integrates DV metadata, then apply the vendor specific HDR metadata on top of that. This would need a new firmware.

As I just read that Linker now supports DV, that exactly what I would expect it to do when the new firmware is out. Of course I could be wrong.

post #4024 of 4048 Old 09-18-2017, 12:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwound View Post
Only true if using the hdmi output.
If using an external (sdr) TPG, then the Linker will need to convert 8bit RGB (thorethically it could also be 10bit, but all SDR TPGs & Calman itself use 8bit patterns anyways, if I'm not mistaken) to BT.2020 based YCbCr (12bit but only 8bits are used), tunnel that into 8bit RGB encoded DV with integrates DV metadata, then apply the vendor specific HDR metadata on top of that. This would need a new firmware.

As I just read that Linker now supports DV, that exactly what I would expect it to do when the new firmware is out. Of course I could be wrong.[/QUOTE]

CalMAN can generated DV patch only via software pattern generator (if the notebook HDMI has bit perfect RGB output) or using Murideo Six-G or VideoForge PRO 4K external pattern generator.

It's not supporting DV for hardware SDR patch generators.

HD Fury can't do any conversion or patch generation when it's receiving DV signal, it just pass-it-thou, you can't even see if it's 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 or the dynamic metadata). I have asked HD Fury a lot of months ago if they can add patch generation feature, they were negative.

The insertion of HD Fury to the video signal chain when you will use a notebook HDMI output for DV patch generation is only for generating DV Relative Mode patches.....So to send to a display a special HDR10 metadata which will disable the display internal DV tone mapping, so the display will have Power Law Gamma response when you do this a...to calibrate for Gamma 2.2 as target...because DV expect a calibrated 2.2 Gamma display to apply their internal mapping....and then after uploading the new DV file to the display internally (currently LG 2017 OLED's support this), you take post-cal measurements with DV Absolute mode patch generation.

For DV Absolute mode you don't need HD Fury when you are using the CalMAN's software DV (Absolute mode which has enabled the DV mapping) patch generation, if you use any bit perfect RGB output of any notebook/PC.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
post #4025 of 4048 Old 09-18-2017, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
For DV Absolute mode you don't need HD Fury when you are using the CalMAN's software DV (Absolute mode which has enabled the DV mapping) patch generation, if you use any bit perfect RGB output of any notebook/PC.
Yes you do. the PC cannot completely signal Dolby Vision for LG OLEDs (needs an extra signal compared to the Vizios).

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Liaison - CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
post #4026 of 4048 Old 09-18-2017, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

We a looking into why the HDFURY is not working for you guys.

post #4027 of 4048 Old 09-18-2017, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I was able to reproduce the crash when I had the HDFURY GUI application opened while trying to connect in CalMAN. With the GUI application closed I can connect in CalMAN without issue.

post #4028 of 4048 Old 09-18-2017, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
Yes you do. the PC cannot completely signal Dolby Vision for LG OLEDs (needs an extra signal compared to the Vizios).
Ops, I forgot that it's not required for VIZIO only.

post #4029 of 4048 Old 09-19-2017, 02:06 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
With BT.1886, the gamma varies with the measured black point. It gets to 2.4 only if the black point measure 0.000 nits. I have attached a picture that shows the gamma when the measured black point is 0.05 nits. It gets to 2.35 max.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
If you are talking about that off-the-curve jump between 0 and 10%, it's because you were only measuring 0 and 10%. It won't plot along a rapidly changing curve like that because you aren't measuring anywhere within that curve. It has no data to plot. If you have the patterns, try 0 - 100% in 5% increments.
Thanks guys! Then there is only one question as to what the gamma value in madvr? (2.30 or 2.40)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg madvr.jpg (73.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170916_230718.jpg (887.3 KB, 16 views)
post #4030 of 4048 Old 09-19-2017, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
I was able to reproduce the crash when I had the HDFURY GUI application opened while trying to connect in CalMAN. With the GUI application closed I can connect in CalMAN without issue.

Seems the issue is related to the Linker, one CM user has success connecting with an Integral after updating fgpa and mcu but when he tried his Linker he still got the connection error, see Spectracal forum.
post #4031 of 4048 Old 09-19-2017, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1701 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Wifi-Spy,

Once this all gets worked out, could you post a video showing step by step procedure.
post #4032 of 4048 Old 09-19-2017, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hitman- View Post
Seems the issue is related to the Linker, one CM user has success connecting with an Integral after updating fgpa and mcu but when he tried his Linker he still got the connection error, see Spectracal forum.
It looks like the Linker SDK has some differences compared to the Integral. So for now only the Integral will work.

post #4033 of 4048 Old 09-19-2017, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Need guidance on which Color Gamut Target should be used for 4K inputs.
My environment includes a Panasonic UB900 ->Lumagen Pro -> JVC RS500
I've set up the Lumagen Pro to temporarily output to CMS1 for my active input (default for HDR/Rec2020 material).
I'm calibrating for HDR in SDR mode. I have set CMS Gamma to 3D LUT = SDR and set ColorSpace to SDR2020.
In running the Cube 3D LUT I'm faced with choosing one of many Color Gamut Targets. My thinking, given the above setup, is to use Rec2020 under standard calibration, rather than Rec709. I think this will provide the correct SDR patterns for HDR display in SDR mode. This to use the Rec2020 primaries, though the calibration for 100% primaries will blow out. Is that correct?

JVC RS500 - Stewart Firehawk - Lumagen Radiance Pro - Anthem D2V - Revel Salon speakers - SV Sound SB13 Ultra sub - Various sources
post #4034 of 4048 Old 09-19-2017, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjschaff View Post
Need guidance on which Color Gamut Target should be used for 4K inputs.
My environment includes a Panasonic UB900 ->Lumagen Pro -> JVC RS500
I've set up the Lumagen Pro to temporarily output to CMS1 for my active input (default for HDR/Rec2020 material).
I'm calibrating for HDR in SDR mode. I have set CMS Gamma to 3D LUT = SDR and set ColorSpace to SDR2020.
In running the Cube 3D LUT I'm faced with choosing one of many Color Gamut Targets. My thinking, given the above setup, is to use Rec2020 under standard calibration, rather than Rec709. I think this will provide the correct SDR patterns for HDR display in SDR mode. This to use the Rec2020 primaries, though the calibration for 100% primaries will blow out. Is that correct?
I tried that, but my setup seemed to have issues trying to do the 1D greyscale that it does prior to doing the 3D LUT. Had JVC on REC2020. SJ
post #4035 of 4048 Old 09-19-2017, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
I tried that, but my setup seemed to have issues trying to do the 1D greyscale that it does prior to doing the 3D LUT. Had JVC on REC2020. SJ
I had no issue with 1D grayscale. Only discovered issues with the 100% primaries. Again, I'm still uncertain that I've got the right Color Gamut Target.

JVC RS500 - Stewart Firehawk - Lumagen Radiance Pro - Anthem D2V - Revel Salon speakers - SV Sound SB13 Ultra sub - Various sources
post #4036 of 4048 Old 09-19-2017, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I had no issue with 1D grayscale. Only discovered issues with the 100% primaries. Again, I'm still uncertain that I've got the right Color Gamut Target.
Let me know what you find out. I'm trying to create a 3D LUT for a HDR2020 input into my Lumagen Pro and then outping SDR2020 to my JVC projector. I have the JVC set to REC2020 colorspace. Lumagen Pro IM off. Are you doing a two point gain/offset prior to doing your run? Thanks. SJ
post #4037 of 4048 Old Yesterday, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Let me know what you find out. I'm trying to create a 3D LUT for a HDR2020 input into my Lumagen Pro and then outping SDR2020 to my JVC projector. I have the JVC set to REC2020 colorspace. Lumagen Pro IM off. Are you doing a two point gain/offset prior to doing your run? Thanks. SJ
Basically followed all of Jim Peterson's recommendations from the Lumagen Pro forum. I'd done the 2-point cuts/gains for standard rec709 for non-HD calibration. For the HD side of things, after setting all inputs to point to CMS1, I didn't redo the cuts/gains since I felt I was clearly already in the ballpark. What exactly do you mean by "JVC set to REC2020 colorspace"? Hope somebody chimes in about the Color Gamut Target...

post #4038 of 4048 Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Basically followed all of Jim Peterson's recommendations from the Lumagen Pro forum. I'd done the 2-point cuts/gains for standard rec709 for non-HD calibration. For the HD side of things, after setting all inputs to point to CMS1, I didn't redo the cuts/gains since I felt I was clearly already in the ballpark. What exactly do you mean by "JVC set to REC2020 colorspace"? Hope somebody chimes in about the Color Gamut Target...
Using one of the user memories and setting the color profile to BT2020. Is that not correct? Seems everyone has indicated to do this. I have A RS600. SJ
post #4039 of 4048 Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Using one of the user memories and setting the color profile to BT2020. Is that not correct? Seems everyone has indicated to do this. I have A RS600. SJ
So what specifically did you choose in the JVC? For example, if setting up picture mode User1 what color profile did you pick? Was it Standard or a custom? If custom how did you set up BT2020?

post #4040 of 4048 Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So what specifically did you choose in the JVC? For example, if setting up picture mode User1 what color profile did you pick? Was it Standard or a custom? If custom how did you set up BT2020?
Used the downloaded BT2020 color profiles from JVC (from one of the custom user memories). Don't have access to my projector right now to look..... SJ
post #4041 of 4048 Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Used the downloaded BT2020 color profiles from JVC (from one of the custom user memories). Don't have access to my projector right now to look..... SJ
Oh. Seems that if I simply use a Standard color profile and then do a calibration I'd arrive at a suitable result using the Lumagen Pro? Is there some advantage to downloading the BT2020 profile from JVC to the projector and using it as the base for doing the CalMAN calibration?

Last edited by sjschaff; Yesterday at 11:44 AM.
post #4042 of 4048 Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh. So, what's the procedure for downloading? Web location and method for getting it onto the JVC? Not familiar with any of this.
Go to the JVC PRO website.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/i...&feature_id=11

The first link is the software used to download. The second link explains HDR settings.... SJ

Also, there is an entire thread on calibration software

JVC Calibration Software V6 For 2015 Models (X9000,X7000,X5000,RS400,RS500,RS600)
WiFi-Spy likes this.

Last edited by SJHT; Yesterday at 11:44 AM.
post #4043 of 4048 Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Go to the JVC PRO website.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/i...&feature_id=11

The first link is the software used to download. The second link explains HDR settings.... SJ

Also, there is an entire thread on calibration software

JVC Calibration Software V6 For 2015 Models (X9000,X7000,X5000,RS400,RS500,RS600)
See my updated post. I've done a Gamma calibration using the JVC software but had not seen this particular bit. Again, I'm unclear on what value I would derive from using the JVC BT2020 profile instead of say Standard and proceeding to do a CalMAN calibration from there? I figure that telling CalMAN that I want to target SDR2020 would suffice.

post #4044 of 4048 Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Just received my Calman bundle. Very excited!! I want to apologize right now for all the dumb questions I will be asking. Reading you on here I can tell you all are Pro's and I can't wait to learn from you guys. Thx in advance.

Home Theater: Optoma UHD65, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- 18" Velodyn Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Oppo 203, XBox One
post #4045 of 4048 Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
See my updated post. I've done a Gamma calibration using the JVC software but had not seen this particular bit. Again, I'm unclear on what value I would derive from using the JVC BT2020 profile instead of say Standard and proceeding to do a CalMAN calibration from there? I figure that telling CalMAN that I want to target SDR2020 would suffice.
Not sure of the answer. I always assumed one would use the BT2020 color space, but maybe that's why my greyscale 1D LUT is so bad (before proceeding to the 3D LUT).... SJ
post #4046 of 4048 Old Today, 02:16 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi All,

Last night I tried AutoCal with my ks8000. The first greyscale readings and calibrations were pretty nice with a delta 0,3 and gamma very precise. Then started cycling the 80, 90 and 100 and everything got worse. Delta rise up until 2 for 100 and 90 and gamma looks like a roller coaster. Had no problem at all with my manual calibration.

Last edited by MrRobotoPlus; Today at 02:27 AM.
post #4047 of 4048 Old Today, 03:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Send a message via AIM to lovswr
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
OK, so I setup the ES file explorer, installed the MF file, and then installed the sideload launcher. It loads right up and I see this screen, can't wait to try it out later this week.

Will this work on just about any sony running Android TV? I have an 55 in 810C

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold
Don't fall for the HDMI 1.3 Hype!
PSN = lovswr
XBOX Live = lovswr
post #4048 of 4048 Old Today, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It looks like the Linker SDK has some differences compared to the Integral. So for now only the Integral will work.
Are there plans for a new beta until the end of this week with HD Fury Linker support?
-Hitman- likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page