Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #991 of 2451 Old 02-09-2013, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello: Using my C3 color meter (using flat panel placement) , Calman 5 and a 100 percent window pattern, what's the best way to adjust maximum light output to 40 fL on my VT50 before proceeding with calibration?

LB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 2451 Old 02-09-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 54
What's not working? Mini alone or TV or only when both are connected? What's wrong in your picture, it looks good!

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #993 of 2451 Old 02-09-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

What's not working? Mini alone or TV or only when both are connected? What's wrong in your picture, it looks good!

My setup is a VT50 and a Radiance Mini 3D, that's working fine. Calman RC1 1109 is not working correctly, look at the light skin and some of the other colors. When this happens its not worth using this calibration, some of the colors are not stable so you end up the skin tones that are way off.

ss.
post #994 of 2451 Old 02-09-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh that. When you said 1109 is "not working" I thought it was a fatal bug. The spike in light skin has already been noted here. I also noticed a slight spike there in 1100 (in previous versions was getting an even bigger blue spike) however I must say overall results are subjectively the best I've seen yet, including flesh tones.

- AVStefan
post #995 of 2451 Old 02-10-2013, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Man, I must be way over my head. I am so confused I have no idea what is going on. Here is my story.

I have the Panasonic 65VT50, DVDO iScan Duo V2, DPG-2000, CalMAN 5 Control, i1 Display Pro, SpectraCal C3, and Spyder 4 TV HD. I can get the meters and the DPG-2000 towork with CalMAN and was able to do a basic calibration. Not a great one because I am still learning. Up till now my experience has been with things like Disney WoW or SM.

So tonight I tried to calibrate using the i1 and the Duo for the first time. What a fiasco! Everything seemed to be recognized ok and then I tried to find the Workflow for the Duo. I can't find it anywhere. I am up to page 95 of this thread and thought I read that there was a Workflow specifically for the Duo. If there is one, where is it? So I tried one of the other Workflows, Advanced just to see what it was like. It seemed to me that it was the Basic Tutorial. The buttons at the bottom said Basic Tutorial and another Tutorial as well as Next. To make a long story short, I started calibrating but my next problem was that the Duo kept turning off! So, to sum up my questions;

1. Is there a Workflow in CalMAN 5 for use specifically with the Duo? If so, where.

2. How do you keep the Duo from turning off?

3. How do I make sure in CalMAN that I am in fact starting anything but a tutorial calibration? Should not the buttons at the bottom say something like Basic, Intermediate, or Advanced depending on what I had chosen?

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Hope the above makes some sense.

Regards,

Steve
post #996 of 2451 Old 02-10-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderduck View Post

Man, I must be way over my head. I am so confused I have no idea what is going on. Here is my story.

I have the Panasonic 65VT50, DVDO iScan Duo V2, DPG-2000, CalMAN 5 Control, i1 Display Pro, SpectraCal C3, and Spyder 4 TV HD. I can get the meters and the DPG-2000 towork with CalMAN and was able to do a basic calibration. Not a great one because I am still learning. Up till now my experience has been with things like Disney WoW or SM.

So tonight I tried to calibrate using the i1 and the Duo for the first time. What a fiasco! Everything seemed to be recognized ok and then I tried to find the Workflow for the Duo. I can't find it anywhere. I am up to page 95 of this thread and thought I read that there was a Workflow specifically for the Duo. If there is one, where is it? So I tried one of the other Workflows, Advanced just to see what it was like. It seemed to me that it was the Basic Tutorial. The buttons at the bottom said Basic Tutorial and another Tutorial as well as Next. To make a long story short, I started calibrating but my next problem was that the Duo kept turning off! So, to sum up my questions;

1. Is there a Workflow in CalMAN 5 for use specifically with the Duo? If so, where.

2. How do you keep the Duo from turning off?

3. How do I make sure in CalMAN that I am in fact starting anything but a tutorial calibration? Should not the buttons at the bottom say something like Basic, Intermediate, or Advanced depending on what I had chosen?

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Hope the above makes some sense.

Regards,

Steve

There are three tabs at the top right of the calman page, click on the one that says Display direct control, now once you have opened that tab you will see a tab that says find direct control click on it, now you will see a popup tab that says Display use the down arrow where it says Manufacturer (AV Foundry) you will see a list now click on DVDO and then connect, done.

Don't have a DVDO so I don't know if there is a setting for that, but Calman should set the settings so your DVDO stays connected

Top Left green tab (Calman 5), click on it and then on workflow Template and make your choice for the workflow you want.. ,

ss
post #997 of 2451 Old 02-10-2013, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

There are three tabs at the top right of the calman page, click on the one that says Display direct control, now once you have opened that tab you will see a tab that says find direct control click on it, now you will see a popup tab that says Display use the down arrow where it says Manufacturer (AV Foundry) you will see a list now click on DVDO and then connect, done.

Don't have a DVDO so I don't know if there is a setting for that, but Calman should set the settings so your DVDO stays connected

Top Left green tab (Calman 5), click on it and then on workflow Template and make your choice for the workflow you want.. ,

ss

Thank you very much! I appreciate your help.
post #998 of 2451 Old 02-10-2013, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderduck View Post

Thank you very much! I appreciate your help.

In Duo Main Menu > Configuration > Menu Timeout > Off
post #999 of 2451 Old 02-10-2013, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PE06MCG View Post

In Duo Main Menu > Configuration > Menu Timeout > Off

Of course, I should have caught that one!. !My only excuse is that it was late and I was tired.

Thank you very much!
post #1000 of 2451 Old 02-10-2013, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I have no idea where I should post this. I have the CalMAN Enthusiast/Radiance/C6 with a JVC RS20 and am overall very pleased. But watching Downton Abby I see those incredible neon yellow greens that used to plague the RS1 so long ago. Other parts of the series are universally beautiful. It's just the lawns about town and around the abby that are hideous. Occasionally there are lawns with proper greens, and also the trees look spot-on. I haven't seen this on any other Blu-rays.

So... is this a bad color on the disk, or does the disk try to represent a green that gets into a part of the color space that is off... a place that no other disk has attempted to use? How do I tell if it's in the source? It would be helpful if there was some utility that you could mouse over a scene and get the color and luminance values at that spot. Well, I'm sure there is, just not at my pay-grade. smile.gif
post #1001 of 2451 Old 02-10-2013, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

erkq,
There are a lot of JVC users in the Spectracal forum so that's where you could post this.
You might also want to post which version of Calman you have last used on the JVC and Radiance, and which workflow (if cube LUT have you enabled 125-point gamut options in the Radiance?)

- AVStefan
post #1002 of 2451 Old 02-11-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

erkq,
There are a lot of JVC users in the Spectracal forum so that's where you could post this.
You might also want to post which version of Calman you have last used on the JVC and Radiance, and which workflow (if cube LUT have you enabled 125-point gamut options in the Radiance?)

I'll try the Spectracal forums. But to answer your questions: I'm using CalMAN Entusiast 5.0.4.933 running the "Color Cube (3D LUT)" workflow.

I'm coming to believe it's in the source material. I've never seen ugly greens in any other disk I've watched including the HD-DVD of Things we Lost in the Fire... notorious for pushing green boundaries.
post #1003 of 2451 Old 02-11-2013, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If you have a test disc with a full gradient grayscale ramp, put it up, turn the color control a few clicks to the red side (basic color control), then look at it for a 15 seconds or so, then swing it back to your current setting... Might provide insight. Or, MIB/Dark Knight v Matrix. Matrix is definitely green.
post #1004 of 2451 Old 02-15-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The spike in light skin has already been noted here. I also noticed a slight spike there in 1100 (in previous versions was getting an even bigger blue spike) however I must say overall results are subjectively the best I've seen yet, including flesh tones.

I'm not getting any spikes with RC1 (1109) biggrin.gif

- AVStefan
post #1005 of 2451 Old 02-15-2013, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 183
New Beta RC2 now available (1122):

http://www.spectracal.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=4593

I was doing a 1109 Calibration and came down to this Forum while waiting for the 125 Point to complete. When I returned upstairs to install this newest Beta, noticed that the Light Skin no longer had the Spike, and just about every colour was barely above Reference. Difference - maybe because I fined tuned the Contrast and Brightness. Possibly this is a sign that they aren't set quite right, when the Light Skin has the Spike. Will have to check this out again in the future if the Spike reappears, and re-calibrate the Contrast and Brightness.
1122 Grayscale, faster, more accurate and an overall flatter result from 0 to 100IRE. Now doing the 125 Point while typing this out.
post #1006 of 2451 Old 02-15-2013, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 167
We did find some optimizations for edge cases in the cube, so I wouldn't be surprised if these results didn't look just a bit better post cal.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #1007 of 2451 Old 02-16-2013, 01:11 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

We did find some optimizations for edge cases in the cube, so I wouldn't be surprised if these results didn't look just a bit better post cal.

I hope one "not" is wrong. smile.gif
post #1008 of 2451 Old 02-16-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I ran a LUT cube using beta RC2, imo its worth D/L and running a LUT cube calibration.

ss
post #1009 of 2451 Old 02-16-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

I ran a LUT cube using beta RC2, imo its worth D/L and running a LUT cube calibration.

ss

Yep we are pretty much done with CalMAN 5.1 this is the final RC (release candidate) next will be RTM (release to manufacturing). So now on to CalMAN 5.2 in a couple of weeks. We are at HPA next week showing off CalMAN Studio 5.1 to colorists, cinematographers and the like also with our new partner Pandora with the Pluto should be a great reception. Meeting up with our good friend Charles Poynton at HPA so myself and Joel can talk about further advancements for the Studio space. If you don’t recognize the name he is the guy that “Wrote the Book”. As for 5.2 the plan is finish adding support for the JVC x6 series and the Panasonic xx60 series and whatever else lands on our docks in the next few weeks. As always Joel has a few new tricks up his sleeve we can announce later. We will be looking for beta testers once we have most of the code tested for these displays.

Derek

CTO / Founder - SpectraCal Inc.
post #1010 of 2451 Old 02-16-2013, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjsmith View Post

Yep we are pretty much done with CalMAN 5.1 this is the final RC (release candidate) next will be RTM (release to manufacturing). So now on to CalMAN 5.2 in a couple of weeks. We are at HPA next week showing off CalMAN Studio 5.1 to colorists, cinematographers and the like also with our new partner Pandora with the Pluto should be a great reception. Meeting up with our good friend Charles Poynton at HPA so myself and Joel can talk about further advancements for the Studio space. If you don’t recognize the name he is the guy that “Wrote the Book”. As for 5.2 the plan is finish adding support for the JVC x6 series and the Panasonic xx60 series and whatever else lands on our docks in the next few weeks. As always Joel has a few new tricks up his sleeve we can announce later. We will be looking for beta testers once we have most of the code tested for these displays.

Hi Derek,

I realise you have been concentrating on making 5x5 work so didn't expect much for us DUO owners but I didn't expect that starting with RC2 that the Quick Analysis would stop performing in Colorchecker, saturation sweeps and Luminance sweeps.
Hope there will be a fix for this before you assume all is well.

We can probably fix it ourselves in Design Mode so perhaps you are relying on our resourcefulness and will go ahead as above?
post #1011 of 2451 Old 02-16-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by PE06MCG View Post

Hi Derek,

I realise you have been concentrating on making 5x5 work so didn't expect much for us DUO owners but I didn't expect that starting with RC2 that the Quick Analysis would stop performing in Colorchecker, saturation sweeps and Luminance sweeps.
Hope there will be a fix for this before you assume all is well.

We can probably fix it ourselves in Design Mode so perhaps you are relying on our resourcefulness and will go ahead as above?

We change a few things in how our datasets work and it looks like we did not update the QA workflow to follow suit. Trust me we won't release unless it right.

Derek

CTO / Founder - SpectraCal Inc.
post #1012 of 2451 Old 02-16-2013, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Derek,
I am looking forward to the autocal for the new JVC projectors. I have about 200hrs on my X75/RS56 already and have done a calibration with the CM 5.0.4 (Enthusiast) / C-6 profiled to the i1Pro / and DPG-2000 with very good results. I was wondering what would be required to calibrate the 3-D mode of these projectors? (patterns or extra equipment)

Rick
post #1013 of 2451 Old 02-16-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post

Derek,
I am looking forward to the autocal for the new JVC projectors. I have about 200hrs on my X75/RS56 already and have done a calibration with the CM 5.0.4 (Enthusiast) / C-6 profiled to the i1Pro / and DPG-2000 with very good results. I was wondering what would be required to calibrate the 3-D mode of these projectors? (patterns or extra equipment)

Projectors aren't able to do color cube calibrations if that's what you're referring to when you say "3D". You need something like the eeColor box, Radiance or Duo (I think the Duo does it).
post #1014 of 2451 Old 02-16-2013, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Projectors aren't able to do color cube calibrations if that's what you're referring to when you say "3D". You need something like the eeColor box, Radiance or Duo (I think the Duo does it).

The Duo doesn't

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #1015 of 2451 Old 02-16-2013, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

The Duo doesn't

Now I'm curious. I swore there was a third consumer level box that could act as a LUT for CalMAN.
post #1016 of 2451 Old 02-16-2013, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

You need something like the eeColor box, Radiance or Duo (I think the Duo does it).

With the Enthusiast license you need a Radiance or ColorBox. eeColor is not supported.
post #1017 of 2451 Old 02-17-2013, 01:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Sorry wasn't very clear on my question. I am familiar with color cube calibration with an external box. I was wondering about the procedure for a full calibration in the 3-D mode of the projector. I assume I would use my i1Pro and take reading through the active 3-D glasses in the profile mode then profile to the C-6 then just do a normal calibration with C-6 using the patterns from my DPG-2000?

Rick
post #1018 of 2451 Old 02-17-2013, 03:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

We change a few things in how our datasets work and it looks like we did not update the QA workflow to follow suit. Trust me we won't release unless it right.

Thanks Derek,

Glad to hear that those of us who are able to get satisfactory Calibration results via manual methods are still being catered for.
post #1019 of 2451 Old 02-17-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry wasn't very clear on my question. I am familiar with color cube calibration with an external box. I was wondering about the procedure for a full calibration in the 3-D mode of the projector. I assume I would use my i1Pro and take reading through the active 3-D glasses in the profile mode then profile to the C-6 then just do a normal calibration with C-6 using the patterns from my DPG-2000?

Ah... so I showed my ignorant self to the CalMAN masses for no reason... I know nothing about 3D calibration. At least I know I don't know anything about that.
post #1020 of 2451 Old 02-17-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes that is how you would profile your meters for 3D (Stereo) calibration, However I would think you would have to turn on 3D mode in your projector before profiling and during the Cube calibration.
I don't use a projector I use a plasma, but this is how I do a 3D (stereo) calibration and profiling my C6 and I1pro2, so other than meter placement I would think all would be the same.

ss.

btw, if you get a pop up screen that says the profile is out of the suggested range, that's normal per Joel.
And I would think you would want to crack up the FL so you get in the range of 5 to 6FL for a 3D (stereo) calibration.But as I said I don't use a projector. . ,
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page