post #2071 of 2488 Old 01-23-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

We do have a direct dialog going with the user and are in the process of trouble shooting the issue with him.

You guys are great, in general and your product has added a lot to our enjoyment of our home theater.

But, the user I'm talking about is me! smile.gif And no one has been in touch with me about anything.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2488 Old 01-23-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

You guys are great, in general and your product has added a lot to our enjoyment of our home theater.

But, the user I'm talking about is me! smile.gif And no one has been in touch with me about anything.

You might have to restate your issue, what you said in the previous quote I couldn't follow.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #2073 of 2488 Old 01-23-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by PE06MCG View Post

However, recent TV's in the UK at least, are subject to a 4 hour window of use.
I spoke to Sharp Support about this and they said it was an EU Regulation that they were required to comply with (power saving enforcement by The European Union)

A few ms here and there in CalMan isn't going to solve that problem. Only voting the eco-fascists out of office will.
Chad B likes this.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #2074 of 2488 Old 01-23-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

A few ms here and there in CalMan isn't going to solve that problem. Only voting the left-wing eco-fascists out of office will.

Watch it, buddy....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2075 of 2488 Old 01-24-2014, 01:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

A few ms here and there in CalMan isn't going to solve that problem. Only voting the eco-fascists out of office will.

Sorry, not meant as a political statement merely a comment on trends that will affect the way that my calibration time must slot into any 4 hour window. Be warned, even Eco- tolerant Canada may decide energy saving should be imposed rather than advised (LOL).

Regarding our ability to influence Rules and Regulations in the EU I'm afraid we are strictly limited. The only way to avoid these being arbitrarily imposed is for individual countries to leave the Common Market.

Incidentally, you may find this News item in todays News that illustrates global differences amusing.

:http://news.sky.com/story/1200181/marmite-seized-in-canada-customs-crackdown

You will note at the end that the UK is trying to influence EU to ban a certain dye (to conform with the Canadian viewpoint), we cannot decide for ourselves.
AVfile likes this.
post #2076 of 2488 Old 01-24-2014, 02:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Yeah... me too. This is the third post about this in 5 days... absolutely no response whatsoever. In all fairness I guess I should try Spectracal directly.

Is your Mini's firmware current? Two days ago, I ran a cal on my Mini 3D, which had been replaced on my primary display by a 2021 a few months ago. Initially, I was getting virtually the same symptoms as you: only small windows, wrong colors being displayed, etc. My 2021 had worked just fine during a cal with 5.2.3 last week, so I was puzzled. I checked the firmware version on the Mini, and it was at 090313, which was prior to Lumagen's support for custom window sizes and APL patterns. I updated the Mini's firmware to the most recent, and everything began to work perfectly on the next calibration attempt -window sizes as requested, correct colors displayed during the cal, and so on and so forth.

Based on this, I believe that CalMAN 5.2.3 now requires support for custom window sizes in the Lumagen processors in order to work correctly with them.
erkq likes this.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #2077 of 2488 Old 01-24-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Brilliant! I'll BT that's it!!
post #2078 of 2488 Old 01-24-2014, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
How does using APL patterns help with Plasma displays and how do I optimize for Plasma (in terms of setting up the pattern generator) as opposed to any display?
post #2079 of 2488 Old 01-24-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsform1 View Post

How does using APL patterns help with Plasma displays and how do I optimize for Plasma (in terms of setting up the pattern generator) as opposed to any display?

APL patterns are used with plasmas to prevent triggering the display's automatic brightness limiting circuitry. Search and you'll find that different brands and models of plasmas work best with different APL patterns.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #2080 of 2488 Old 01-24-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post

APL patterns are used with plasmas to prevent triggering the display's automatic brightness limiting circuitry. Search and you'll find that different brands and models of plasmas work best with different APL patterns.

I wouldn't necessarily say that... the good thing about fixed APL patterns is that the fixed APL keeps the ABL circuit engaged by exactly the same amount as you go from 0% black to 100% white. With normal patterns as you get closer and closer to 100%, the APL increases quite a bit (which makes the ABL engage more and more) and can throw off gamma readings at the top end or worse if the patterns are large enough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2081 of 2488 Old 01-26-2014, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member

5.2.3 has does not have a selector for the Accupel 5000. Anyone else seeing this issue?
post #2082 of 2488 Old 01-26-2014, 11:26 PM

Liked: 56
Quote:

5.2.3 has does not have a selector for the Accupel 5000. Anyone else seeing this issue?

Panasonic TX-P42GT50E, Oppo 103, Schiit Vali, Denon AHD2000 + Moon Audio Blue Dragon V3, Phonak Audeo 121, Vsonic GR07, Fiio E17, Cowon S9, XLO cables :: CalMAN 5 Enthusiast,Chromapure Standard, i1D3, i1Display 2, TED's Calibration Blu Ray Disc v1.0 & v1.1
post #2083 of 2488 Old 01-27-2014, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsut View Post

Don't know if it was the removal and reloading of Calman or The drivers... But it's working now.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
post #2084 of 2488 Old 01-27-2014, 11:59 AM

Liked: 30
I am not sure if I already posted this or not but the latest CalMAN version uses Black 6.2% and White 92% in Saturation Sweeps tab of the QuickAnalysis workflow when 0-255 range is selected. When 16-235 range is selected, it uses Black 0 and White 100. Should it not be the other way around? Expanding built-in patterns to PC levels is enabled. Gamma used - BT.1886 and/pr power law.
post #2085 of 2488 Old 01-28-2014, 11:37 AM

Liked: 13
Spoke to someone at Spectracal today. Very helpful and knowledgeable. I'm going to buy the CalMan Control but still not sure about which meter to get. The i1 says "projectors" whereas the c6 specifies types of projectors. I have a JVC RS46U which is dila. That's specifically mentioned with the c6 but not the i1. Thoughts?

Dedicated theater

JVC RS46U

Lumagen XE3D

115"d 16:9 DIY AT Seymour XD screen with DIY masking

Marantz SR7008

Oppo BDP103

Darbee Darblet

Klipsch RF7II mains

Klipsch RC64II center

PSA XS15 Sub

Roku3

Harmony 900

post #2086 of 2488 Old 01-28-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricmanscott View Post

Spoke to someone at Spectracal today. Very helpful and knowledgeable. I'm going to buy the CalMan Control but still not sure about which meter to get. The i1 says "projectors" whereas the c6 specifies types of projectors. I have a JVC RS46U which is dila. That's specifically mentioned with the c6 but not the i1. Thoughts?

When you say i1, do you mean the i1 Pro2 or the i1 Display Pro (thanks for the confusing names X-Rite)?

The i1 Display Pro is a very similiar meter to the C6, it just doesn't have as many tables for different display types, as well as lacking the adaptive exposure modes the C6 has. But it would be very similar in accuracy on the JVC.

The i1 Pro2 is a spectro, so it is almost display type agnostic, it works very well for accuracy on almost any kind of display. But it doesn't read dark light very well, so it's not well suited to being a primary meter for calibrating a projector. You can do it, just that your results on the low end won't be very reliable.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #2087 of 2488 Old 01-28-2014, 06:49 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

When you say i1, do you mean the i1 Pro2 or the i1 Display Pro (thanks for the confusing names X-Rite)?

The i1 Display Pro is a very similiar meter to the C6, it just doesn't have as many tables for different display types, as well as lacking the adaptive exposure modes the C6 has. But it would be very similar in accuracy on the JVC.

The i1 Pro2 is a spectro, so it is almost display type agnostic, it works very well for accuracy on almost any kind of display. But it doesn't read dark light very well, so it's not well suited to being a primary meter for calibrating a projector. You can do it, just that your results on the low end won't be very reliable.

Sorry I wasn't clear on that. Trying to be short, typing on phone. I was referring to the i1 display oem which I believe is the display pro. For starters I want to use the autocal and see where that gets me and go from there.

Dedicated theater

JVC RS46U

Lumagen XE3D

115"d 16:9 DIY AT Seymour XD screen with DIY masking

Marantz SR7008

Oppo BDP103

Darbee Darblet

Klipsch RF7II mains

Klipsch RC64II center

PSA XS15 Sub

Roku3

Harmony 900

post #2088 of 2488 Old 01-30-2014, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 327
I've found with the display pro and ArgyllCMS that adaptive integration mode with a baseline integration time of 0.5 sec is a good balance between speed and low-light precision. Does CalMan support this adaptive (internally) integration mode on retail D3's or is that reserved for the C6? If not, how many reads are performed below the luminance cut-on when low light handling is checked? I'd like to run the probe using similar integration time schemes when using the two softwares.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

-----

post #2089 of 2488 Old 01-30-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

I've found with the display pro and ArgyllCMS that adaptive integration mode with a baseline integration time of 0.5 sec is a good balance between speed and low-light precision. Does CalMan support this adaptive (internally) integration mode on retail D3's or is that reserved for the C6?
The adaptive exposure is exclusive to the C6.
Quote:

If not, how many reads are performed below the luminance cut-on when low light handling is checked? I'd like to run the probe using similar integration time schemes when using the two softwares.
The low light handler has similar fixed integration times for the D3 retail/OEM. I don't know how much special case stuff we do with the meter that might be different than the argyll driver. I know Derek does a little bit of extra work with every meter to try and get them to behave more reliably.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #2090 of 2488 Old 01-30-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The adaptive exposure is exclusive to the C6.

The low light handler has similar fixed integration times for the D3 retail/OEM. I don't know how much special case stuff we do with the meter that might be different than the argyll driver. I know Derek does a little bit of extra work with every meter to try and get them to behave more reliably.

Thanks sotti, so below the chosen luminance level instead of multiple reads at one integration time, the integration times are extended? Can I get the luminance level vs. integration times used? (no problem if that's proprietary, it would just save me the time to measure them. smile.gif )

-----

post #2091 of 2488 Old 01-30-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

Thanks sotti, so below the chosen luminance level instead of multiple reads at one integration time, the integration times are extended? Can I get the luminance level vs. integration times used? (no problem if that's proprietary, it would just save me the time to measure them. smile.gif )

Nothing proprietary it is set by the user as part of our LLH interface. We have the value for the trigger and what to do above or below that trigger for exposure times in seconds.

Derek

CTO / Founder - SpectraCal Inc.
post #2092 of 2488 Old 01-30-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjsmith View Post

Nothing proprietary it is set by the user as part of our LLH interface. We have the value for the trigger and what to do above or below that trigger for exposure times in seconds.

Thanks Derek, it seems like a black patch measurement was taking longer than the 2 seconds I set the low side to so I thought there may be more going on.

-----

post #2093 of 2488 Old 01-30-2014, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

I see that there is a release candidate for 5.3 on the download site. However the release notes are for 5.2.3. What the additions in 5.3?
post #2094 of 2488 Old 01-30-2014, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I see that there is a release candidate for 5.3 on the download site. However the release notes are for 5.2.3. What the additions in 5.3?

The release notes are also there.

Quote:
CalMAN 5 for Home Video

CalMAN 5.3.0 RC1 Release Notes, January 30, 2014

New Features

Added support for the DVDO AVLab TPG pattern generator.
Added a BG LED table for C6 meters.
Added OLED support for i1 Display Pro meters (retail and OEM).

Changes

CalMAN version 5.3.0 and later now require up-to-date maintenance at install
Added maintenance reminder to installer for license renewal.
Created “Cancel” option for installations with out of maintenance license keys
Added option to force installation for out of maintenance license keys. Note – You will be in evaluation mode if choosing this option.
As of CalMAN 5.3.0, Windows XP support has been dropped.
We have moved to unified .exe installers for Business, Home Theater, and Studio.
CalMAN 5.3.0 and later will now require .NET 4.5.1 or higher.
Cleaned up meter tables (display types). We have not removed any functionality, just combined entries which were using the same table.

Resolved Issues

Resolved an issue where older downloadable calibration tables for Enhanced meters were not being used.
Resolved an issue where the VideoForge II HDMI pattern generator was not enabled for the Control and Enthusiast licenses.
Made a change which should make the C3 meter more reliable at low light readings.
post #2095 of 2488 Old 01-30-2014, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

When I checked they still had the release notes for 5.2.3
post #2096 of 2488 Old 01-30-2014, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

well.... the 5.3 release canidate doesn't work for the Calman's own ColorBox. Haven't tried to calibrate my ColorBox for awhile as I have at a place where it was good. Brought it down to my my test TV and no function of changing any thing. No changes for the WB (cannot manually be manipulated using DDC) or the 3D LUT (don't even bother using DDC to control the 3DLUT, it would take a 2 days for you to manually put things in.
post #2097 of 2488 Old 01-31-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:

well.... the 5.3 release canidate doesn't work for the Calman's own ColorBox. Haven't tried to calibrate my ColorBox for awhile as I have at a place where it was good. Brought it down to my my test TV and no function of changing any thing. No changes for the WB (cannot manually be manipulated using DDC) or the 3D LUT (don't even bother using DDC to control the 3DLUT, it would take a 2 days for you to manually put things in.

Hello, is it working with 5.2.3 version?

S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #2098 of 2488 Old 01-31-2014, 08:28 AM

Liked: 56
I am not glad to see that CalMAN 5.3RC is forcing me to install C3 drivers even I have no C3 probe. If I want to skip C3 drivers install, whole CalMAN installation is rolled back.
WHY ???

Panasonic TX-P42GT50E, Oppo 103, Schiit Vali, Denon AHD2000 + Moon Audio Blue Dragon V3, Phonak Audeo 121, Vsonic GR07, Fiio E17, Cowon S9, XLO cables :: CalMAN 5 Enthusiast,Chromapure Standard, i1D3, i1Display 2, TED's Calibration Blu Ray Disc v1.0 & v1.1
post #2099 of 2488 Old 01-31-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 191
Sounds like it's best to wait this one out until the Final Release.
post #2100 of 2488 Old 01-31-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by prsut View Post

I am not glad to see that CalMAN 5.3RC is forcing me to install C3 drivers even I have no C3 probe. If I want to skip C3 drivers install, whole CalMAN installation is rolled back.
WHY ???

A skip button should be a good idea.

S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page