CalMan 5 Release Notes and Discussion - Page 88 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes
post #2611 of 2633 Old 01-07-2015, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 178
The pattern window button next to the slider is also duplicated in the source drop down as well.

You can't replace anything but the userimageX patterns. But you could certainly do your own brightness and contrast patterns there.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 2633 Old 01-07-2015, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post
The pattern window button next to the slider is also duplicated in the source drop down as well.

You can't replace anything but the userimageX patterns. But you could certainly do your own brightness and contrast patterns there.

Joel,

Does that file exist for the Enthusiast version ? I see a sub directory called images in Calman Home Theater but only a folder for "Brand Images".

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Harmony 650
Darbee DVP5000
Sony XT1 Soundbase
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
post #2613 of 2633 Old 01-07-2015, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Just create the folder.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #2614 of 2633 Old 01-07-2015, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post
Just create the folder.

Yeah I figured that out duh , works like a charm ! Now I have some skin tone screen caps right in Calman to pull up during calibration.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Harmony 650
Darbee DVP5000
Sony XT1 Soundbase
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
post #2615 of 2633 Old 01-10-2015, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Basically:
When doing the Manual TV Greyscale and CMS calibrations. make sure your TV Remote signals, when changing settings, are not affecting the results if using a VQ! (ie. Ever had changing settings not making a change on your TV, thusly not changing your meter readings?)
I'm now covering the Input for the VQ Remote during calibrations, since I use the Serial USB Connector. Far better results last night!

My Radiances:
After all these years!

Getting an issue while manually calibrating the Samsung UN65HU9000 Greyscale and CMS
(and previously the LG 55LHX, and the Samsung PN64F8500), I got that `Does not
Respond to setting changes' moments!
Will shut everything down, and start over, to continue to finish, or sometimes come
up with the same stalemate. But results were always mixed.
Also over the years was the Info screen popping up from the Radiances due to some
conflict with the TV Remote.
Pushing the Exit button got rid of that issue.
Last night, it finally dawned on me. The Radiance was also being affected in other ways
by the TV Remote, but because nothing was seen on screen, never thought my calibration
was being compromised!
So, last night I covered the front of the Radiance to prevent stray TV Remote signals.
Absolutely the BEST calibration I've done in years!
No more cursing the TV, Calman, and what ever! Radiance front stays covered through out
the calibrations from now on. Only signals going to it is the Serial Connection.

Addendum:
Turn Off the Radiance IR: MENU 0995. To turn back on repeat, or remove power Input, wait 10 seconds and reinsert.

Last edited by p5browne; 01-10-2015 at 01:30 PM.
post #2616 of 2633 Old 01-14-2015, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

New Calman Beta 5.4.1 Build # 1847

New Features:
Added Include Black in AutoCal Adjustments check box. This is available under the Workflow Advanced Options tab. This is saved with the workflow. Prior to this change, if you selected a specific Black Level, CalMAN would attempt to calibrate black to this specified level.
With this box unchecked, CalMAN will instead use this as the value of black for its calibration calculations. Black will not be adjusted, but the targets will be calculated using this specified black.
New History runtype. For you workflow developers, there is a new run type called History. This cal allow you to take multiple readings repeated readings and have them all chart together. In order for this to work, you need to set the layout to History and your graphs to History. There need to be at least one chart on the layout which is set to the runtype of your readings.
For example: if I wanted to have a history of how 100% reads over time, I might throw out an RGB chart and a luminance chart set to history. I might then also add a RGB chart set to single point which is set to grayscale. For grayscale points on the layout, I would set it to White Only.
We'll work on putting together a demo layout/workflow to show this new feature off. In the mean time, we'd love to get feedback from you out there on how you view this new feature and see what tasks you can come up for it.
Changes/Fixes:
Resolved licensing issue for the CR-250 meter
CalMAN now requires version 0.87.13 of madVR. No new functionality yet, but some is coming that requires a later version.
http://spectracal.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=125&t=5565
post #2617 of 2633 Old 01-21-2015, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 586
CalMAN 5.4.1 Open Beta - Build: 1852 Released @ 22 January 2015

Release Notes

Added a Points remaining count for all point based AutoCubes.

Added a Dataset Segment Size. This allows the user to segment a very large dataset into smaller pieces for display in a layout. When the number of datapoints exceeds the set amount, a selection box appears on the left side of the slider bar, allowing the user to switch between segments. By default this is set to 500 points. This can be done under Settings\Advanced Measurement Options and is only available for ColorChecker or History run types.

Interactive AutoCube (legacy) has been re enabled for those users who wish to use it. This can be enabled under Settings\Application Measurement Options.

Resolved an issue where the .3dx (Eyeglass) LUT file was not being written after an AutoCube if Include Black in AutoCal Adjustments was unchecked.

Resolved a licensing issue which would cause CalMAN to crash if the user entered a Studio Lite license with an existing Studio Express license.

Download Links
Manni01 likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #2618 of 2633 Old 01-28-2015, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What happened to the color cube report template in 5.4?
I have it in 5.36.
When I called Spectracal I was told it was never in Calman 5 HT Enthusiast.

td
post #2619 of 2633 Old 01-28-2015, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
CalMAN 5.4.1 Open Beta - Build: 1852 Released @ 22 January 2015

Release Notes

Interactive AutoCube (legacy) has been re enabled for those users who wish to use it. This can be enabled under Settings\Application Measurement Options.
Thanks. I'm a bit confused... I have a Radiance (XS) with a 5^3 cube and I've been using CalMAN 5's 3D LUT calibration for a couple years now. The last time I used it was about 6 months ago, before all these 3D LUT improvements and changes were made. So I can't decipher what has changed as it applies to 5^3. What is the "interactive autocube (legacy)"? Since it says legacy I assume that is what I have been using and am used to. And if that's right, then what has replaced it and how does it work differently? Under what case/conditions might someone want to go back to the interactive autocube legacy?
post #2620 of 2633 Old 01-28-2015, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Thanks. I'm a bit confused... I have a Radiance (XS) with a 5^3 cube and I've been using CalMAN 5's 3D LUT calibration for a couple years now. The last time I used it was about 6 months ago, before all these 3D LUT improvements and changes were made. So I can't decipher what has changed as it applies to 5^3. What is the "interactive autocube (legacy)"? Since it says legacy I assume that is what I have been using and am used to. And if that's right, then what has replaced it and how does it work differently? Under what case/conditions might someone want to go back to the interactive autocube legacy?
Hi Ric,

In some instances, like with my old JVC X30 which was getting tricky to fully correct with all its gamma droop, wonky gamut etc, the old interactive autocube (the one you know) could give slightly better results with a large LUT (1400 points) than with the default profile (2000 reads) of the new engine, which might be one of the reasons why it has been added back as an option. For various reasons I was running the MadVR LUT over the 5x5x5 Radiance LUT, itself run after a JVC greyscale autocal as I needed a correction for my non-MadVR sources, so that might have added to the problem.

Since I've upgraded to the X500, all my issues with the new engine (using the larger MadVR LUT, not the Radiance LUT or the JVC Autocal) are gone.

As far as I know, with a 5x5x5 Radiance the interactive mode is still the only viable option because you don't have enough points to be able to interpolate anything. That's what I was still using with the Mini 3D.

So for the 5x5x5 Radiance you'll get one choice for the LUT, which is the same old interactive method, and all the 125 points are corrected. You still have to run a 1D 21 points greyscale autocal before as there are not enough greyscale points in the 125 points 3D LUT to get good results otherwise.

To clarify, the interactive method (legacy for larger radiances and still current for 5x5x5 ones) corrects each of the points reading and correcting them. For example, the old standard interactive calibration used around 1419 points and needed around 3000 reads total.

The new method (for larger LUTs only) reads a subset of points (you can choose how many, from 65 to 6000 points and more), concentrating on the most problematic areas of the display, and interpolates a 3D LUT from that profile of the display. So a new 2000 points profile only takes 2000 reads (in about 110mn with my Discus), as no point is corrected. A 3D LUT is then generated according to the gamut/gamma targets, and you can quickly generate as many LUTs as you want from the same profile. It's a much better method as it can be much quicker without any significant compromise re accuracy compared to say a full 17x17x17 LUT which would require more than 4900 reads (and take about 4 hours with my Discus) for no significant benefit.

I'm sure Joel will comment on that if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Manni01; 01-28-2015 at 10:57 AM.
post #2621 of 2633 Old 01-28-2015, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondave View Post
What happened to the color cube report template in 5.4?
I have it in 5.36.
When I called Spectracal I was told it was never in Calman 5 HT Enthusiast.

td
I think that was the report that wasn't suppose to be in Enthusiast that slipped in somewhere along the line. They finally took it out. You might be getting error reports on program startup saying that the report isn't supported in your version.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #2622 of 2633 Old 01-28-2015, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
I think that was the report that wasn't suppose to be in Enthusiast that slipped in somewhere along the line. They finally took it out. You might be getting error reports on program startup saying that the report isn't supported in your version.
Seems strange that you can do a 3d cube calibration but can't do a report.
post #2623 of 2633 Old 01-28-2015, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondave View Post
Seems strange that you can do a 3d cube calibration but can't do a report.
CalMAN Home users are not licensed for that report. It is for professional use only.

Joel has replayed about this @ SpectraCAL's forum.

I think that report was working for home users at past, it was a bug/licensing error that fixed later with a 5.4.x release, but not sure 100% about this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
post #2624 of 2633 Old 01-30-2015, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

CalMAN 5.4.1 Open Beta - Build: 1856 Released @ 30 January 2015

Release Notes

Added support for the following 2014 EIZO models
CG247, CG277, CX241, an CX271

Download Links

post #2625 of 2633 Old 02-05-2015, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

CalMAN 5.4.1 RC1 - Build: 1862 Released @ 05 February 2015

New Features

Added "Include Black" option in AutoCal Adjustments checkbox. This is available under the Workflow Advanced Options tab and is saved with the workflow. With this box unchecked, CalMAN will not adjust absolute black in calibrations, but custom black level targets may still be set within the workflow.

Added "Points Remaining" indicator to progress windows for point-based 3D LUT calibrations.

Added support for 2014 EIZO models: CG247, CG277, CX241 and CX271.

Added support for new firmware for Colorimetry Research meters (CR-100, CR-250) that improves meter syncing.

Ultimate License Only: added new History runtype that allows users to display multiple readings on the same chart.

Ultimate License Only: added ST.2084 gamma formula for high dynamic range (HDR) displays.

Enthusiast License Only: added new History runtype that allows users to display multiple readings on the same chart.

Changes

Changed default setting for input and output on the DVDO TPG to "Limited." This assures the output levels of the device are not compressed.

CalMAN support for madVR pattern generator and 3D LUTs now requires version 0.87.13 of the madVR software.

Computer monitor workflows no default to full PC levels (0-255) for compatibility with the sRGB gamma standard.

Resolved Issues

Resolved licensing issue with the CR-250 spectroradiometer.

Resolve an issue that would cause CalMAN to crash or stop during a 3D LUT calibration or LUT retargeting.

Resolved an issue that prevented workflow charts from updating properly.

Download Links

post #2626 of 2633 Old 02-12-2015, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

CalMAN 5.4.1 RC2 - Build: 1868 Released @ 12 February 2015

New Features

Coming Soon...

Changes

Coming Soon...

Resolved Issues

Coming Soon...

Download Links

post #2627 of 2633 Old 02-12-2015, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Calman 5.4.1RC2 Build # 1868:

Here's my quick and dirty version then.

Resolved issue with the Eizo CX models which would cause errors in regards to features not being supported.
Resolved issue where CalMAN would crash when attempting to connect to a C3 meter. Supposedly this should be any SIP based meter, but I was only able to reproduce it on the C3.
Resolved issue where a cube LUT would not get written if a limited range calibration was being performed on a device capable of full range. This would apply to the Cube Generator as well as specific LUT devices.
Increased LUT performance for high density LUTs near black.

There is also an updated Client 3 for PC which resolves the client crashing with some Samsung monitors.
lovingdvd likes this.
post #2628 of 2633 Old 02-20-2015, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

CalMAN 5.4.1 Open Beta - Build: 1876 Released @ 20 February 2015

Changes & Fixes

1) Hopefully we have fixed the crashes people have been seeing. These are generic Windows crashes, which cause CalMAN to just exit.

2) Hopefully have resolved an issue which could cause CalMAN to hang (or go run off to play with the faeries) at the end of a cube calibration. The dialog box is still there, the progress bar still moves, but no progress is made.

3) Changed the meter mode default for the CR-250 from Fast 2x to Normal

4) Reduced discontinuities in the WTW region of a WTW LUT when only profiling to reference white.

5) Resolved issue that would cause points to remain on any chart which used a filtered data set. This was most noticeable on the CIE chart during cube calibrations.

Download Links

post #2629 of 2633 Old 02-21-2015, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Someone mentioned # 1870 - where did we miss that one? (Said they reverted to # 1870 after having issues with # 1876)

Sounds like it's best to wait out this one, although I don't really see any issues using the equipment I have.

Last edited by p5browne; 02-22-2015 at 11:11 AM.
post #2630 of 2633 Old 02-22-2015, 02:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
Someone mentioned # 1870 - where did we miss that one? (Said they reverted to # 1870 after having issues with # 1876)

AFAIK 1870 was an internal/closed build to debug specific issues, not a released beta build. Sorry if I caused any confusion.
post #2631 of 2633 Unread Today, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Bluetooth Serial Adapter

I own a JVC projector. I would like to use it's internal pattern generator with CalMan 5. CalMan only supports RS232 communication for JVCs.

I own a bluetooth serial adapter. I hook up the adapter to my JVC rs232 port and pair it to my laptop.

Using a simple com terminal application, I am able to communicate with my JVC projector and verify "connection". However, Calman just gives me errors after a bit of time.

The only difference to an application that is indirectly using this type of adapter is that speed of operation is slower @ ~150ms vs <50ms when wired directly.

I suspect this is what is causing CalMan to error out as it times-out after it doesn't receive a reply to a request within a pre-defined interval.

Has anyone successfully used any RS232 adapter with CalMan? Is it possible to change/configure CalMan serial communication settings?

Thanks.
post #2632 of 2633 Unread Today, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly85 View Post
I own a JVC projector. I would like to use it's internal pattern generator with CalMan 5. CalMan only supports RS232 communication for JVCs.

I own a bluetooth serial adapter. I hook up the adapter to my JVC rs232 port and pair it to my laptop.

Using a simple com terminal application, I am able to communicate with my JVC projector and verify "connection". However, Calman just gives me errors after a bit of time.

The only difference to an application that is indirectly using this type of adapter is that speed of operation is slower @ ~150ms vs <50ms when wired directly.

I suspect this is what is causing CalMan to error out as it times-out after it doesn't receive a reply to a request within a pre-defined interval.

Has anyone successfully used any RS232 adapter with CalMan? Is it possible to change/configure CalMan serial communication settings?

Thanks.

Calman doesn't support yet the latest JVC projectors (I think you have an rs49), so you're getting a similar error with Bluetooth as we're getting with RS-232.

It used to work fine using rs-232 with my X30 (rs-45) but it doesn't work with my X500 (rs49).
post #2633 of 2633 Unread Today, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Calman doesn't support yet the latest JVC projectors (I think you have an rs49), so you're getting a similar error with Bluetooth as we're getting with RS-232.

It used to work fine using rs-232 with my X30 (rs-45) but it doesn't work with my X500 (rs49).
Ah. I was aware of some autocal issue; didn't know it was a basic comms issue.

Apparently you have to have a licensed version or something to get MadVR TPG support in Calman... for me this is ideal as I only use the PJ for movies with MPC-HC & MadVR.

Just looking for an AutoCal solution for my i1D3 and screen (which as you known Manni) neither of which the JVC autocal supports.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page