CalMan 5 Release Notes and Discussion - Page 93 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 72Likes

post #2761 of 2790 Old 06-17-2015, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Any chance you will add support for the chrome cast as a pattern generator at some point?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2762 of 2790 Old 06-18-2015, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACappo View Post
Any chance you will add support for the chrome cast as a pattern generator at some point?
We are always investigating ways to make calibration easier.
Kris Deering likes this.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #2763 of 2790 Old 06-18-2015, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post
We have a guide for setting up the JVC projectors to get the best results.
You can get it here: http://www.spectracal.com/Documents/...QuickStart.pdf
This guide is supposed to be applicable to my JVC projector (DLA-X30) but I'm a little puzzled by the comment not to use the Custom Color Temp setting.

It is true that the projector provides a 12-point calibration for White, Red, Green, Blue, which can be used to adjust the grey scale as well as the gamma. However, the 12-points are 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 95. Thus, 0 and 100% are excluded and can only be adjusted using the Custom Color Temp Gain and Offset controls.

Can anyone please clarify this?

Thanks.
post #2764 of 2790 Old 06-18-2015, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

The projector has a 256 point LUT inclusive of 0 and 255.

The two point control is abstracted over the LUT, so they are redundant when we are using the LUT.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #2765 of 2790 Old 06-19-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
The projector has a 256 point LUT inclusive of 0 and 255.

The two point control is abstracted over the LUT, so they are redundant when we are using the LUT.
Is that for the entry level DLA-X30/RS45 as well? It doesn't even have CMS that is accessible from the menu.
post #2766 of 2790 Old 06-19-2015, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Is that for the entry level DLA-X30/RS45 as well? It doesn't even have CMS that is accessible from the menu.
Hi, it has 256-Point 1D LUT Table which means Grayscale (RGB Balance/Gamma) only.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #2767 of 2790 Old 06-19-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi, it has 256-Point 1D LUT Table which means Grayscale (RGB Balance/Gamma) only.
Thanks.
Is the LUT only accessible through the serial port? For the regular menu, I can only see the Custome Gamma 12-point grey scale adjustments which is some sort of LUT, but excludes the 0 and 100% points.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 06-19-2015 at 08:13 AM.
post #2768 of 2790 Old 06-19-2015, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Thanks.
Is the LUT only accessible through the serial port? For the regular menu, I can only see the Custome Gamma 12-point grey scale adjustments which is some sort of LUT, but excludes the 0 and 100% points.
Correct the OSD for the projector is an abstraction layer on top of the LUT.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #2769 of 2790 Old 06-21-2015, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I tried to use the color checker trial and the program stops reading the colors as soon as it hits 0,0,0 RBG because my black level is perfect (no light emitting). Is there a way to bypass 0,0,0 reading because as soon as it errors out it resets the whole color checking process again.
post #2770 of 2790 Old 06-21-2015, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Payne View Post
I tried to use the color checker trial and the program stops reading the colors as soon as it hits 0,0,0 RBG because my black level is perfect (no light emitting). Is there a way to bypass 0,0,0 reading because as soon as it errors out it resets the whole color checking process again.
Hi, Open the CalMAN's Workflow & Application Settings Panel -> Workflow Basic Options -> Un-tick from ColorChecker Settings the 'Black' reading.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #2771 of 2790 Old 06-21-2015, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
While Ted mentioned where the setting is at, it should still come back with a reading, even if that reading is minimum reportable value.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #2772 of 2790 Old 06-22-2015, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Our MobileForge pattern generator for iOS is now available for download from the Apple AppStore on your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mobi...1115?ls=1&mt=8
ElectronicTonic and Manni01 like this.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Liaison at SpectraCal
post #2773 of 2790 Old 06-22-2015, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Please contact our tech support. We do support all our customers, but the AVS forum isn't an official line of support.
I have tried tech support on a similar issue in the past.
after a bunch of promises, I was told " it doesn't work so we dropped it".

This is a Calman 5 issues thread.
I have an issue.

Should be easy to replicate in the lab.

I want it out in the open.

Loving D65
post #2774 of 2790 Old 06-22-2015, 06:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Actually this is not a CalMan 5 issues or tech support thread, as per the thread title, it is only a release notes and discussion thread.
post #2775 of 2790 Old 06-22-2015, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 33
then discuss it.

Loving D65
post #2776 of 2790 Old 06-23-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
While Ted mentioned where the setting is at, it should still come back with a reading, even if that reading is minimum reportable value.
Well, its not for me. Not in virtual machines, or even after a re-image. It just states "Read failed."

Because of this, it's impossible for me to demo the 3d LUT in Calman.

I can't turn off Black reading in Lightning LUT

Last edited by Chase Payne; 06-23-2015 at 09:16 PM.
post #2777 of 2790 Old 06-23-2015, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Well, its not for me. Not in virtual machines, or even after a re-image. It just states "Read failed."

Perhaps there is a bug with the color checker?
I had this error before. One solution might be to try to connect the probe to a USB powered Hub. When the i1 display pro reads black on a OLED, it takes a long time like 5-15 secs? If your notebooks just drops the power supply to the probe for a sec, you can get that error message. I used to get that message everytime calman tried to read black. I cannot confirm that it was due to me using a usb powered hub or that I exchanged my i1 display pro. But I now have not seen that message anymore.
post #2778 of 2790 Old 06-23-2015, 09:18 PM

Another frustrating thing I am running into with the color checker is a meter correction. I hook up my i1pro and do a multi pass reading, it gives me an offset. I save this profile, then I unplug it and go back to my i1d3 and the profile is not there.

So then I tried manually typing the offsets, and it wont let me type numbers of 0.002 in the values, it just erases them.

Then I tried using BOTH meters at once, since the website said I could and it only can see one of the two meters.
post #2779 of 2790 Old 06-23-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverlim View Post
I had this error before. One solution might be to try to connect the probe to a USB powered Hub. When the i1 display pro reads black on a OLED, it takes a long time like 5-15 secs? If your notebooks just drops the power supply to the probe for a sec, you can get that error message. I used to get that message everytime calman tried to read black. I cannot confirm that it was due to me using a usb powered hub or that I exchanged my i1 display pro. But I now have not seen that message anymore.
I have an external USB powered hub, I've even tried setting low light handler on to 5 seconds and still has the same issue.

Really frustrating, I feel all these auto cal programs just code their software assuming that its impossible to get 0 nit black, so it must be the meters fault.

Last edited by Chase Payne; 06-23-2015 at 09:29 PM.
post #2780 of 2790 Old 06-23-2015, 09:47 PM

So after turning OLED light to 60 and raising brightness so black does bleed light, I did get a 3d LUT.

Then I try to view it in Calman Eyeglass and it just crashes by stating "Calman Eyeglass has stopped working.", tried compatibility mode, admin rights...

I swear all calibration programs are the glitchiest programs I've ever seen.
post #2781 of 2790 Old Yesterday, 12:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
So after turning OLED light to 60 and raising brightness so black does bleed light, I did get a 3d LUT.

Then I try to view it in Calman Eyeglass and it just crashes by stating "Calman Eyeglass has stopped working.", tried compatibility mode, admin rights...

I swear all calibration programs are the glitchiest programs I've ever seen.
Sure seems that way at times but not necessarily here. Seems that you're trying to get your i1d3 to read below its ability to read. Are you manually entering black level? You should be.

You seem to have other issues that might resolve themselves if you do a reinstall. Read the last few entries here and try it. http://www.spectracal.com/forum/view...p=38325#p38325
post #2782 of 2790 Old Yesterday, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Sure seems that way at times but not necessarily here. Seems that you're trying to get your i1d3 to read below its ability to read. Are you manually entering black level? You should be.

You seem to have other issues that might resolve themselves if you do a reinstall. Read the last few entries here and try it. http://www.spectracal.com/forum/view...p=38325#p38325
How can I manually enter in the black level on a 3d LUT?

I also re-imaged my entire computer, it has a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 with nothing installed on it except the default software (c++ redistrub, etc).

Even then, the calman software still crashes when loading a 3dlut into eyeglass, can't find solutions for that either.
post #2783 of 2790 Old Yesterday, 04:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
How can I manually enter in the black level on a 3d LUT?

I also re-imaged my entire computer, it has a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 with nothing installed on it except the default software (c++ redistrub, etc).

Even then, the calman software still crashes when loading a 3dlut into eyeglass, can't find solutions for that either.
I don't use eyeglass so i can't help you there.

As to where to manually enter black level, go to settings (gear icon at upper right), then workflow advanced options tab, then click on black level target. This is where OLED users would enter "0". When you think about it, no meter can read "0" so there has to be a way to bypass the "0" reading and take a manual input.

The issue you're having where you can't have two meters open at the same time for profiling purposes is something else. You can open each of them individually otherwise, right? If you're on windows, you do know about the driver for the i1pro/i1pro2, right? If not, Ted's done well keeping up with these and can be found here JETI/Klein/Lumagen/eeColor/Discus Virtual COM Port Drivers Update For Windows
post #2784 of 2790 Old Yesterday, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Scan and calibration results follow the Meter. Remove the Meter, and install a different one, and your results won't be there. Plug back in the original, results back.

UN65HU9000 - Mine
PN64F8500 / UN55HU7250 / UN32EH5300 / 2 X LG 55LHXs - wife's !
post #2785 of 2790 Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Another frustrating thing I am running into with the color checker is a meter correction. I hook up my i1pro and do a multi pass reading, it gives me an offset. I save this profile, then I unplug it and go back to my i1d3 and the profile is not there.

So then I tried manually typing the offsets, and it wont let me type numbers of 0.002 in the values, it just erases them.

Then I tried using BOTH meters at once, since the website said I could and it only can see one of the two meters.
See my posting above re Meter change out.

Both Meters should be detected as separate entities when you do the Search - sometimes I have to do the Search several times before it catches the second Meter.
Have also found some Meters and Power Hubs don't see eye to eye, and the Meter has to plugged in directly to the CPU.
Myself - plug in the C6, or i1Display Pro, and the i1Pro 2. Do the profile, shut down, place i1Pro 2 back into it's case. Restart backup with the C6, or i1Display Pro (Depending which one was profiled to), install the profile, then continue on.

UN65HU9000 - Mine
post #2786 of 2790 Old Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
See my posting above re Meter change out.

Both Meters should be detected as separate entities when you do the Search - sometimes I have to do the Search several times before it catches the second Meter.
Have also found some Meters and Power Hubs don't see eye to eye, and the Meter has to plugged in directly to the CPU.
Myself - plug in the C6, or i1Display Pro, and the i1Pro 2. Do the profile, shut down, place i1Pro 2 back into it's case. Restart backup with the C6, or i1Display Pro (Depending which one was profiled to), install the profile, then continue on.
Is there a way to export a profile then import it? Because I cannot get both meters to show up at once. Calman appears to be doing things that I hate in regards to programming, by adding unnecessary restrictions to things because the developers think that it would be impractical to do so.

Quote:
I don't use eyeglass so i can't help you there.

As to where to manually enter black level, go to settings (gear icon at upper right), then workflow advanced options tab, then click on black level target. This is where OLED users would enter "0". When you think about it, no meter can read "0" so there has to be a way to bypass the "0" reading and take a manual input.

The issue you're having where you can't have two meters open at the same time for profiling purposes is something else. You can open each of them individually otherwise, right? If you're on windows, you do know about the driver for the i1pro/i1pro2, right? If not, Ted's done well keeping up with these and can be found here JETI/Klein/Lumagen/eeColor/Discus Virtual COM Port Drivers Update For Windows
I tried this, apparently it ignores this setting during the 3dLUT calibration. It still errors out, until I raise brightness to have 0 IRE emit light.

Also, eyeglass is really important. I am trying out this software before I buy it. Eyeglass allows me to test how effective a 3dLUT can be to my image; but since it is broken, I can't see how effective the 3dLUT would be.

Not really a great sell if the "trial" doesn't work for me.... to top all that off, they restrict their forums to have an account which is ridiculous.

Last edited by Chase Payne; Yesterday at 11:30 PM.
post #2787 of 2790 Old Today, 12:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Also, eyeglass is really important. I am trying out this software before I buy it. Eyeglass allows me to test how effective a 3dLUT can be to my image; but since it is broken, I can't see how effective the 3dLUT would be.

Not really a great sell if the "trial" doesn't work for me.... to top all that off, they restrict their forums to have an account which is ridiculous.
For clarity, did Spectracal give you a temporary license to try out Calman?

If so, which version of Calman are you using?
post #2788 of 2790 Old Today, 12:28 AM

Quote:
For clarity, did Spectracal give you a temporary license to try out Calman?

If so, which version of Calman are you using?
No, it's the color checker version. The whole purpose of the color checker software is to show you how accurate your display is. It then creates a profile as a 3d LUT that corrects your color balance and white balance settings, exports it in a special file that only works in eyeglass.

The eyeglass software can then be used to show a before and after picture of how your display would look like if you calibrated it with Calman, that's when you decide to purchase the program or not. That's why they provide it for "free", it's really just a demo to show you how the software works before you decide to purchase it to actually calibrate your display.

That is of course... if the software actually worked.
post #2789 of 2790 Old Today, 04:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
.... to top all that off, they restrict their forums to have an account which is ridiculous.
All you have to do on that forum is to register. Its really pretty easy and you may get more attention from Spectracal there than you would here. If nothing else, pick up the phone and give them a call.

Quote:
No, it's the color checker version. The whole purpose of the color checker software is to show you how accurate your display is. It then creates a profile as a 3d LUT that corrects your color balance and white balance settings, exports it in a special file that only works in eyeglass.
I see where you're coming from now.

Just to save yourself any more grief, call them and explain what's happening. See if they'll give you a temporary license to download enthusiast version (or whichever version you intend to buy) and see how it works. I wouldn't doubt that something got changed that didn't make it to the stand alone color checker version. In the online info I've come across, it didn't really say that they'd let you profile a colorimeter from spectro using colorchecker. The parts might appear on the screen but not actually work which is what it sounds like it is doing. Besides, wouldn't you rather use the actual program that you intend to buy to decide if you want it or not?
post #2790 of 2790 Old Today, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I was once granted a 30 Day trial, but I don't know if that is done anymore.
As a Freebie, I can't see profiling being permitted. Surprised it lets an actual Meter even be used.
Most trial versions are to check out the scope of the software, but no actual Meter can be used, just a pretend one.

UN65HU9000 - Mine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page