Help with Spyder 4 Pro! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-03-2012, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there,

I have a Dell u2410 monitor and just decided to buy a spyder 4 pro and calibrate it. I went to the "standard" mode and set my brightness down to about "17" since the software suggested 120 cd/m2....calibration finished and while screen is dim the colors appear to look good.

Questions:

1. What on earth do the graphs mean in laymans terms. I do not understand in the least what "100% of Adobe rbg" means for example and how to interpret the graph. The new "calibration" lines looked similar on the graph to the factory calibrated adobe rbg settings.

2. It set my white point to 5800...I thought 6500 was recommended

3. My gamma is set to 1.8? I thought 2.2 was the recommended.

I do a bit of photography but I also do some gaming. Do I always keep my monitor at this low level of brightness or is it okay to bump it up?

Thanks for helping a newbie out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-03-2012, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Old school graphic design used D50 and a gamma of 1.8 (Mac's in general used to all be 1.8 back in the "they are better for graphics" day).

Now that calibration is to optmize the monitor so the ICC profile has to do less work.

The software also creates and ICC profile that tells your applications like photoshop or illustrator exactly how much color your monitor can produce so it can adjust the content to match what your display can do.

For games you want to have D65 and a gamma of 2.2 or preferably the sRGB curve. I also have a dell u2410 and game a lot on it, and don't find any issue with keeping brightness in the teens (16 right now). It's way easier on my eyes, high brightness causes eyestrain, but if you like it turned up then by all means turn it up.

Also there isn't anything that says you need it at 120cd/m for photography so feel free to calibrate at 200 or even 250 if you want. The thing is that in order to have accurate color, you can't have alot of ambient light and anything more than about 120cd/m will cause eye strain in a dim room.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #3 of 6 Old 08-03-2012, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Scotti,

The recommended version that spyder gave me was 1.8 gamma and 5800 white. You're saying I should select the 2.2 gama and set white level to 6500 despite recommended settings? Also, why D65/2.2 for games and what do you mean the "sRGB curve"

Sorry for the newbie questions I'm very new to what any of this means. At the results page what does 100% of RGB and 100% of AdobeRGB mean exactly? I don't understand how to interpret the graph
post #4 of 6 Old 08-03-2012, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebamaster View Post

Thanks Scotti,
The recommended version that spyder gave me was 1.8 gamma and 5800 white. You're saying I should select the 2.2 gama and set white level to 6500 despite recommended settings? Also, why D65/2.2 for games and what do you mean the "sRGB curve"
Sorry for the newbie questions I'm very new to what any of this means. At the results page what does 100% of RGB and 100% of AdobeRGB mean exactly? I don't understand how to interpret the graph

Everything on the web and the default for all the content in Windows is based on the sRGB spec which defines a white point of D65 and a specific sRGB gamma curve (maybe not supported in your software). So those are the best settings for general computer use and non-hardcore-crazy-professional graphic design.

If you want your games and your internet to look right those are the settings you want. And since you'll have an ICC profile describing the way it's setup, photoshop or illustrator will look virtually identical with the same content as it would with your current calibration.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #5 of 6 Old 08-03-2012, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Okay thanks again...just one last thing...I noticed that my colors revert back to the original "standard" mode when I launch a game and exit I'm back to the crappy colors unless I open up my ProfileChooser and reselect my calibration settings

Any ideas?
post #6 of 6 Old 08-03-2012, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebamaster View Post

Okay thanks again...just one last thing...I noticed that my colors revert back to the original "standard" mode when I launch a game and exit I'm back to the crappy colors unless I open up my ProfileChooser and reselect my calibration settings
Any ideas?

Don't know about that specifically don't run the spyder software myself.

I do know that keeping the LUT loaded in the video card can be a tricky propisition.
cheebamaster likes this.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page