Need advice in regards to i1 display2 calibration for normal color temp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-09-2012, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I picked up a i1 display2 colorimeter and I plan on calibrating my Panny GT30 2pt w/b greyscale in the sm using cinema mode warm temp using the chr free cal software along with help from the calibration for dummies guide.

My plan is to calibrate THX mode but I hear that you just want to calibrate warm temp in the sm.I will use cinema and calibrate anyway then work it over to THX.

My question is after I calibrate the warm temp w/b in the sm for cinema and THX ,I would then like to calibrate custom mode using "NORMAL" color temp as I would like a great day setting for the upcoming NFL season.

How would one calibrate normal temp mode? at 6500klv or 7500klv also what is a great light output for a daymode? Thanks

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-09-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis View Post

I picked up a i1 display2 colorimeter and I plan on calibrating my Panny GT30 2pt w/b greyscale in the sm using cinema mode warm temp using the chr free cal software along with help from the calibration for dummies guide.
My plan is to calibrate THX mode but I hear that you just want to calibrate warm temp in the sm.I will use cinema and calibrate anyway then work it over to THX.
My question is after I calibrate the warm temp w/b in the sm for cinema and THX ,I would then like to calibrate custom mode using "NORMAL" color temp as I would like a great day setting for the upcoming NFL season.
How would one calibrate normal temp mode? at 6500klv or 7500klv also what is a great light output for a daymode? Thanks

you always want to target D65 and 6500K

day modes should be 50-60 fL or higher, assuming you have a bright room

if the room is more light controlled, 40-50 fL might be more appropriate
post #3 of 7 Old 08-09-2012, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks plasmapz80,I been doing alot of research and reading over guides and just trying to see what people say in regards to calibrating normal color temp.

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
post #4 of 7 Old 08-09-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 127
There is only one color temp for HD Rec 709 calibration and that is d65.
You normally make adjustment to the preset that is closes to D65 to start (not normally normal)
You day/night cals use the same color temp (D65) but different amounts of light output and possible a different Gamma curve.
The movie or cinema mode are typically the modes used to calibrate since some of the other modes have image enhancements that can not be turned off.
Hope that clears things up a little .. I get the feeling you are confusing color temp (D65 white) with modes and light output.. Don't worry it will all make sense after a while, there is a huge amount of info to absorb and not everything you read is 100% accurate.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-09-2012, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
PeterLewis,

I measured my samsung plasma's normal mode at 8000k, using a i1 display 2. The red levels were at 90% and the blue levels were at 120%. If you want to see what levels your tv is using for the normal mode, just do a greyscale measurement to see what the consistent levels are, which depends on how the tv was engineered. Of course, different models and makes of tvs may be engineered differently.

Some people like movie mode and some like normal. Depends on personal preference.

Vincentfam
post #6 of 7 Old 08-09-2012, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

@vincentfam

My intentions are to calibrate Cinema for a night mode and THX for a day mode with contrast bumped up for more light output.Both modes will be calibrated in the sm w/b in warm color temp (D65).

I also wanted to make an over exaggerated day mode by calibrating custom with normal color temp exclusively only for sports NFL,NBA,MLB and I wanted to make sure I calibrate fleshtones spot on.Thats why I asked for any tips if anybody has done something like this.

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
post #7 of 7 Old 08-09-2012, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis View Post

@vincentfam
My intentions are to calibrate Cinema for a night mode and THX for a day mode with contrast bumped up for more light output.Both modes will be calibrated in the sm w/b in warm color temp (D65).
I also wanted to make an over exaggerated day mode by calibrating custom with normal color temp exclusively only for sports NFL,NBA,MLB and I wanted to make sure I calibrate fleshtones spot on.Thats why I asked for any tips if anybody has done something like this.

PeterLewis,

Here are my recommendations:

It appears that you have a plasma tv. The best patterns per this forum to use are the 10% windows 22% apl that can be found in this forum on the Gamut Calibration Disk that can be downloaded. Another suggestion is to use the small apl window patterns on the avs hd 709 disk. When you measure brightness, some in this forum suggest using the avs hd 709 brightness pattern with 21 and up flashing. There appears to be a disagreement amongst members as to what is the correct brightness setting, but I use this one and it appears to provide picture quality. Some members suggest obtaining a gamma level higher than 2.22. I obtain gamma levels of 2.3 and 2.4 for movie and normal modes, respectively. Your gamma graph should be level. Raising/lowering contrast setting will lower/raise gamma level between 50 % to 100 %. Raising/lowering brightness setting will impact gamma level from 0 % to 50%. Also, you can use a ganging method of collectively raising/lowering in equal amounts after obtaining desired rgb levels. Raising/lowering gains impact gamma level similar to contrast, and raising/lowering cuts impact gamma level similar to brightness setting. Set your contrast level to its highest setting as to not introduce tinting. My white peak levels for normal modes are around 50 ftL, and for movie around 35 ftL. When measuring for normal mode, you need to find out your tv's rgb levels used for that mode. Simply do a greyscale measurement and you will see the rgb levels that are consistent for that mode. All of my techniques involved using settings in the user menu. Adjustments in the service menu were not necessary.

You can see some of my techniques, including sharpness adjustment with DVE pattern, used in my postings in the plasma display forum. Some rgb and gamma graphs are included. Also, you may see some of the appreciative responses.

Good luck,

Vincentfam
Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page