crt gamma - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-12-2012, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hi,

I am trying to calibrate gamma on a grade 1 broadcast crt monitor, using i1 and hcfr. I've set the black level successfully using the pluge pattern. However, when measuring gamma I get an s shape, starting around 2.9 at 0ire to 2.1 at 90ire. Am I using the right gamma setting in hcfr? Display gamma. Or is it impossible to measure crt gamma with my setup?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-13-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 111
That's not all that uncommon with CRT's. Very often you may have to make a choice between having "inky blacks with crushed shadows" or a smooth gamma response, or something in between. That being said, I would have expected "better" from a "broadcast grade" monitor.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-13-2012, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I was thinking that as most post production material is graded on these crt monitorsthen that is the output.I should aim for on a flat panel. Now, the crt doesn't crush blacks to the extent that you cannot view the 2% above black bar. However, if I visually adjust the brightness control on the flat panel to match the overall picture quality of the broadcast monitor, the flat panel will exhibit severe black crush. So, it's a case of do I go for an image which is clearly what the director did not intend, or accept black crush to give a closer image to what the director has seen??
post #4 of 4 Old 08-15-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Has anyone else, on this forum, measured a broadcast monitor, such as a Sony BVM CRT? If so, can you please provide your measured results?
We calibrate our flat screens to produce best shadow details...etc, but how far away is the results from what has been graded on a post production broadcast monitor?

Thanks
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page