Calibrating rbg gains and cuts ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-13-2012, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
When your calibrating your rgb gains using a 80% greyscale window and for cuts using the 30% do you do it while having the service menu screen up? or do you have to keep bouncing in and out of the menu.

I have a panny GT30 using hcfr and a i1display2 and i'am curious as to what is the rule for the proper method.

I'am calibrating warm temp in cinema so I can have both cinema and THX calibrated and I'am in cinema/warm mode in the service menu.

I'am just curious as taking measurements in the service menu seem higher in regards to taking them outside off it.

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-13-2012, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
In your tv's advanced menu, you can adjust the white balance (rgb) and gamma. In the service menu, you run the risk of destroying or damaging your tv. If you are beginning to calibrate, you should probably consider taking your time instead of messing with the service menu. Just google: tv sevice menu warning damage, or view postings in this forum.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-13-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Greetings

The only way to set the grayscale correct in the THX mode is to do it from the service menu. The SM access on the Panasonic is really rather benign ... as most of the dangerous stuff was already removed from there.

A calibrated Custom mode on the set does not give one the same results as a calibrated THX mode. There is more to the THX mode than just grayscale and color gamut stuff and that is not reflected in the custom mode.

As for going in and out ... take a reading in the SM and then take one outside ... and see how different they are. Sometimes they are close enough that it doesn't matter. On some occasions, you have to pop back and forth.

regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #4 of 10 Old 08-13-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Micheal,I had to pop in and out of the sm as having the sm screen up raised the reading by few%....

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
post #5 of 10 Old 08-13-2012, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV View Post

There is more to the THX mode than just grayscale and color gamut stuff and that is not reflected in the custom mode.

such as? can you elaborate?
post #6 of 10 Old 08-14-2012, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I took some measurements of warm temp in cinema mode and I noticed the red is considerably much higher to the other two colors.

I took a look in the service menu and it would take alot of bringing down the red drive almost 20 ticks to get it almost on par.

What would be the correct method on correcting the high red drive,by bringing it down by so much or bringing up the other two colors to try and balance it out?

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
post #7 of 10 Old 08-14-2012, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Normally you want to leave green alone.

Keep in mind that the i1display 2 is an older probe that is very susceptible to drift because of the exposed filters. Unless you have profiled it against a spectro or accurate meter, it might be (very possibly) be inaccurate now. I highly recommend getting an i1display 3/pro.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-16-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

Normally you want to leave green alone.
Keep in mind that the i1display 2 is an older probe that is very susceptible to drift because of the exposed filters. Unless you have profiled it against a spectro or accurate meter, it might be (very possibly) be inaccurate now. I highly recommend getting an i1display 3/pro.

I found this post from Chad B here in one of the other threads..

"I wouldn't say that. Even ignoring the low end controls, you should be able to get dE UV under 3 from 20%-100%, and most of the way much lower.

But you're right, the low end controls don't work as expected. It's normal for them. For example, if you have a broad green emphasis starting around 40-50% and getting stronger as you approach 10%, you won't be able to correct most of that with the cut control. Instead work on balancing the entire grayscale range with the drive controls, which do work pretty much evenly across the range. Don't concentrate just on 100%; take a full run and concentrate on making the entire range as well balanced as possible without using the low end controls.

And you are right, you should always double check your results outside of the service menu"....

This was the exact problem i encountered with what Chad stated,i calibrated the 80% greyscale and just the 30% and I had a green hue from 50% >10% and I thought it was my meter.

I will now go back and calibrate the 20%-100% greyscale accordingly mainly with the drvs to balance it out all across and to avoid the green hue.....Thanks Chad B.

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
post #9 of 10 Old 08-16-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis View Post

I found this post from Chad B here in one of the other threads..
"I wouldn't say that. Even ignoring the low end controls, you should be able to get dE UV under 3 from 20%-100%, and most of the way much lower.
But you're right, the low end controls don't work as expected. It's normal for them. For example, if you have a broad green emphasis starting around 40-50% and getting stronger as you approach 10%, you won't be able to correct most of that with the cut control. Instead work on balancing the entire grayscale range with the drive controls, which do work pretty much evenly across the range. Don't concentrate just on 100%; take a full run and concentrate on making the entire range as well balanced as possible without using the low end controls.
And you are right, you should always double check your results outside of the service menu"....
This was the exact problem i encountered with what Chad stated,i calibrated the 80% greyscale and just the 30% and I had a green hue from 50% >10% and I thought it was my meter.
I will now go back and calibrate the 20%-100% greyscale accordingly mainly with the drvs to balance it out all across and to avoid the green hue.....Thanks Chad B.

yes, if you only have one or two points of grayscale adjustment you want to minimize overall error from 10% to 100% (or 20% to 100%) instead of just focusing on 1-2 points of the grayscale only
post #10 of 10 Old 08-16-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I start at 20/80 but check 10-100 and do any fine tuning.
Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page