Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 08-23-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Hi,

I'll be happy to load up graphs to show you how it goes with my pj.

Im not familiar so much with anything other than projectors where the range the controls give you is pretty wide.

I tried calibrating my plasma once but it just wasn't the same type of fun. So, I just went with warm 2 and turned off overscan and stuff like that,biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 08-23-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

Hi,
I'll be happy to load up graphs to show you how it goes with my pj.
Im not familiar so much with anything other than projectors where the range the controls give you is pretty wide.
I tried calibrating my plasma once but it just wasn't the same type of fun. So, I just went with warm 2 and turned off overscan and stuff like that,biggrin.gif

confused.gif ......... I just don't have words... mouth open.. head shaking.. So you don't care if your Plasma is calibrated but you will argue tooth and nail the you can effect gamma in a great way using the 2 point controls.. OK Then!
post #33 of 36 Old 08-23-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote "
......... I just don't have words... mouth open.. head shaking.. So you don't care if your Plasma is calibrated but you will argue tooth and nail the you can effect gamma in a great way using the 2 point controls.. OK Then!"

I have a 42" plasma 3DTV bought on Black Friday that is mostly used by my wife and kids. Stuff like Spongebob and The Closer.

Downstairs I have a 82" screen and projector in a dedicated Home Theater.<- That's the one I use and the one I care about.

If you own a projector,... you understand.

If you don't own a projector ... well,... sorry to hear that. tongue.gif

I did a basic calibration for the other set but trust me when I say my wife and kids didn't care either way.

-Brian
post #34 of 36 Old 08-23-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Yep, only watch the projector, but every other display is calibrated, can not stand to look at an uncalibrated image any more! As long as everyone is happy, that is really all that matters in life!!
post #35 of 36 Old 08-30-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Hello Again,

I got some time to tune my pj today (since the kids started back to school). I've uploaded 2 graphs of gamma before and after.

I leave all my basic settings at default (Contrast, Brightness, Color, Tint.) I dis-able lots of video processing in my pj (Iris, Color Correction, Gamma Settings) becuase my pj gets some strange artifacts and they all dissapear without the extra processing.

So All I adjusted were cuts, gains and panel drivers. Panel Drivers is like a master contrast for each color and I needed to adjust those.

You see in the end I went from a gamma of approx 1.8 to approx 2.1. I "should" try to raise it a bit more but on my projector a slightly low gamma makes a very great picture.

gammaafter.jpg 196k .jpg file

gammabefore.jpg 192k .jpg file

illum-after.jpg 157k .jpg file

illum-before.jpg 158k .jpg file

Settled? I can answer and further queastions or concerns.

Some notes-
The Gamma looks flatter in the first (Before)graph... true.
Neither before or after is perfect. It's all I had time for today.
My projector comes with a gamma correction software you run on a PC and then upload to the pj via serial cable. It lets you adjust the curve of each primary color and it lets you nail RGB balance and gamma. However, My pj also has known issues with blocky, blotchy blacks and in my experience dis-abling more of these types of corrections eliminates those problems. What you wind up with is worst graphs but better picture... Another topic completely.... Which I think will warrant another thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gammaafter.jpg (195.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg gammabefore.jpg (191.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg illum-after.jpg (157.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg illum-before.jpg (158.2 KB, 12 views)
post #36 of 36 Old 08-30-2012, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
You can definitely affect gamma with gain/cut controls. However, these are crude controls for adjusting white balance, and even more crude controls for adjusting gamma. A lot of trial and error is needed to use gain/cut to adjust W/B and gamma. I've done it and like a poster mentioned earlier, it can be at the cost of black level. Personally, unless the gamma is extremely terrible, I prefer darker blacks over "correct" gamma. You'll just have to play with the controls and see what you like.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page