I may be able to borrow a DTP-94 from someone. Based on my research, it is also a colormeter, not a spectrometer. Any opinion on how it drifts as it ages and whether it's worthwhile to use it to perhaps calibrate my i1 LT?
The i1 Pro seems to be selling for ~500 used. That's still not cheap.
I also found this link Massive Color Drift Correction for i1 Display Colorimeter
. I share the same frustration. I expected an $150 meter to last slightly longer.
I vaguely recall reading about drift and the difference between color-meter and spectro-meter when I purchased the LT back in 2008. At the time I simply assumed that for what I do (calibrating a plasma TV), the drift won't bother me. I am simply interested in getting the display to work reasonably well. I am not after a perfect calibration. Boy was I wrong. We are talking about significant drift that pretty much renders the meter useless after 2 or 3 years.
Anyway, I can calibrate the black/white level using the free AVS HD disc. I really only need the meter to calibrate the grayscale (RGB high/low). To me I feel this is the most bang for the buck and doing this will get me 90% of the benefit of a calibration. And I simply don't have time to research and do the remaining 10% with 2 kids in the house. My wife is already jokingly asking me when I will start calibrating the new TV, as she vividly remembered how I spend hours on it 4 years ago while she was taking care of our 1st baby.
I was hoping the 2nd time around it will be much faster since I already know what to do, but the damn meter is now useless.
Anyway, if I do bite the bullet and get the i1 Pro, how long is it expected to last, for what I do (basic grayscale calibration)? If the answer is it would still perform reasonably well in 10 years, then maybe I'll get it. It doesn't look expensive compare to that $500 ISF calibration I did back in 1998 (ouch), or how much I spend in daycare or diapers each month!