ASUS VE278 - Skin/Texture Smoothing in Photos? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-01-2012, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I took posession of this monitor recently. I am satisfied in some respects with the monitor (I think might be TOO bright and contrasty, but this is me coming from a very old ACER model whose controls I never touched). One issue I am having though - and this will perhaps be more familiar if you have done any photography - is that photographs/pictures are coming out as if they have been run through a noise filter; it seems like the monitor is performing some aggressive smoothing to noisy areas and instead images come out looking blotchy. This would be ok (well not really) if I didn't buy this monitor for use with photo editing (I really don't want two monitors).

Here is a photo set on Flickr of what I am talking about. I have an ACER 230HL to the side I was using before (the ASUS didn't arrive with my other components so I went and got another), that does not display this issue. You can also see another issue I am having, the blacks on the ASUS seem TOO black; images (not just photographs but in gaming) are coming out too dark and losing detail. The photo of the buildings photo opened in Photoshop displays this well.

Here is a direct link (spoilered for final Avengers scene reveal) showing the issue I am having (again the ASUS is turned all the way in terms of brightness and contrast):
I will do that. Here are two direct photos (spoilered for final reveal in Avengers) that really show off the issue: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
ASUS: 350wgvn.jpg
ACER: 1053c01.jpg

I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong here or if it's just the difference in monitor technology (?), but any help on setting this thing up or if I have a bad monitor (I can't really believe that, though it is a refurbished model from Amazon) would be appreciated.

EDIT: Yikes. Ok for sh*ts and giggles, I switched to a DVI chord (was using HDMI) - night and day. Nothing is exaggerated as it was through the HDMI chord and my photos (and movies, games, etc) now look good. Now I need to figure out why the HDMI isn't working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-01-2012, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDS! View Post

Nothing is exaggerated as it was through the HDMI chord and my photos (and movies, games, etc) now look good. Now I need to figure out why the HDMI isn't working.

There is a difference between consumer electronics (blu-ray players, cable boxes, ect) and PC video signals.

HDMI tries to be smart, and usually screws up the picture, don't use it for your computer if you don't have to

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page