help me choose between Calman 5 and Chromapure with radiance mini 3d - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 09-24-2012, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have previously had a license for calman 4 and really liked it. i have the radiance so like the idea odds the new 125pt calibration. Which one is better generally and more specifically for this task. i can get the Chromapure significantly cheaper than calman 5 as it would have to be the enthusiast at $399.

THANKS

Stu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 09-24-2012, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 175
if you previously had CalMAN v4 you are either eligible for a free upgrade to 5, or steeply discounted pricing.

I'm not on the sales side, so you'll have to call the office in the morning to get details. Also I believe the add on for chromapure for their cube calibration is $230 on top of their base license.

From a technical perspective CalMAN offers selectable gamma formulas and gamma targets. You can also select your accuracy threshold(more accuracy = more time). We have a colorchecker chart that is great for at a glance accuracy check. We also have the widest support for meters and upgrading meters is a no fuss, no charge experience.

I tend to be a bit biased because I wrote all the cube AutoCal code.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #3 of 29 Old 09-25-2012, 09:23 AM

Liked: 20
I own both software applications, Chroma Pure and CalMAN 5. But I will be honest: I haven't used Chroma Pure for some month. For ME CalMAN is much more flexible and autocal really works (nearly) perfectly.

Sources: Panasonic BDT-110, Toshiba HD-XE-1, Vantage VT-1S
Video processing: Lumagen Radiance 2041
Calibration: Full LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5 Business Pro, Chroma Pure
Probes: X-Rite EODIS3 / C6 / Chroma 5 / i1 pro 2
Targets: JVC-X500, TX-P65VTW60
Sound: Yamaha RX-V2067
post #4 of 29 Old 09-25-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I was in a very similar position of having a very old Calman license and colour meter that needed replacing. In the end I went for Chromapure as it was cheaper and more convenient for me to buy in the UK. I found Chromapure to be very easy to use and work well with the Lumagen. I'm very happy with the results.
post #5 of 29 Old 09-25-2012, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Chaps, I will check my license details I am a bit rubbish at keeping track of those things so will see what possibilities I have for an upgrade or a transfer. In the UK there is a special on the Cube Autocal meaning that $293 would get the all in, whereas $399 for Calman.

That said there are other advantages from Calman as outlined by Sotti above which might be worth the extra outlay.
post #6 of 29 Old 09-25-2012, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

meant to ask what options are open under evaluation for Calman?
post #7 of 29 Old 09-25-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Calman has all functions turned on in eval mode but you can only use the simulated meter.
post #8 of 29 Old 09-25-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhain1 View Post

Thanks Chaps, I will check my license details I am a bit rubbish at keeping track of those things so will see what possibilities I have for an upgrade or a transfer. In the UK there is a special on the Cube Autocal meaning that $293 would get the all in, whereas $399 for Calman.
That said there are other advantages from Calman as outlined by Sotti above which might be worth the extra outlay.

If you could PM me your CalMAN v4 license I can tell you what the date code is and the cost if any to go to CalMAN 5. But even worse case you purchased your v4 license two years ago it would only cost you two years worth of maintenance to get on CalMAN 5 so less than $140.

Derek

CTO / Founder - SpectraCal Inc.
post #9 of 29 Old 09-25-2012, 12:06 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhain1 View Post

Thanks Chaps, I will check my license details I am a bit rubbish at keeping track of those things so will see what possibilities I have for an upgrade or a transfer.

As sotti said ... only NEW customers have to pay 399 USD for CalMAN 5 Enthusiast ! I would get in contact with SpectraCal. They could make you an offer. It depends on what CalMAN version you own

Sources: Panasonic BDT-110, Toshiba HD-XE-1, Vantage VT-1S
Video processing: Lumagen Radiance 2041
Calibration: Full LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5 Business Pro, Chroma Pure
Probes: X-Rite EODIS3 / C6 / Chroma 5 / i1 pro 2
Targets: JVC-X500, TX-P65VTW60
Sound: Yamaha RX-V2067
post #10 of 29 Old 12-15-2012, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does using the Calman 5 negate the need for a Professional ISF calibrator? Could a layman not do the basic adjustments on the Radiance?

Not trying to put anybody out of work....just want to justify the value.

Thanks Joey
post #11 of 29 Old 12-16-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeycalda View Post

Does using the Calman 5 negate the need for a Professional ISF calibrator? Could a layman not do the basic adjustments on the Radiance?
Not trying to put anybody out of work....just want to justify the value.
Thanks Joey

There are still quite a few setup issues and other kind of gotachas a professional calibrator might be able to handle for you. Things like evaluating which color format (RGB or YCC) the display works with best. You also still need to do a bit of setup on the display. Brightness, contrast and cuts and gains all need to be set correctly for the cube to work properly.

Then their is also the issue of equipment, many pro's are going to be equipped with very high-end gear.

A caveat, is that the type of calibrator I'm talking about is the touring type like the ChadBs of the world that really know their stuff.

With all of that said, once you get to the point where everything behind the radiance is setup correctly, running AutoCal from CalMAN will give you darn near bit perfect results.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #12 of 29 Old 12-16-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

No idea what hardware is required for Chromapure but with Calman V5 really needs at least Windows 7 64bit, lots of ram, and at least the HD4000 video processor (this setup seems to work .. OK (Dell 6430).. Not that this is surprising, as windows 8 is out..
Just that some folks don't buy new laptops and upgrade OS levels if what they have still work for their purpose. This is something to consider before you buy any software. In this case XP ain't going to cut it with V5 of Calman.
PlasmaPZ80U likes this.
post #13 of 29 Old 12-16-2012, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

No idea what hardware is required for Chromapure but with Calman V5 really needs at least Windows 7 64bit, lots of ram, and at least the HD4000 video processor (this setup seems to work .. OK (Dell 6430).. Not that this is surprising, as windows 8 is out..
Just that some folks don't buy new laptops and upgrade OS levels if what they have still work for their purpose. This is something to consider before you buy any software. In this case XP ain't going to cut it with V5 of Calman.

CalMAN 5 runs just fine on XP as long as your video drivers are current. The problem is some manufacturers did not keep up video drivers on XP. So yes Win7 is a better bet because you should be able to use current video drivers. As for ram 4gb is also fine. In fact 32bit Windows won't use anymore. If the eval version of CalMAN 5 runs on your computer you are good to go.
Rolls-Royce and PlasmaPZ80U like this.

Derek

CTO / Founder - SpectraCal Inc.
post #14 of 29 Old 12-17-2012, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Ive used an old Compaq Presario (C774tu) single core 2ghz Celeron , 3G Ram, intel integrated graphics & 32bit Vista, running Calman ultimate v5, Cube Autocal / Lumagen Radiance with no issues tongue.gif
post #15 of 29 Old 12-17-2012, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad View Post

Ive used an old Compaq Presario (C774tu) single core 2ghz Celeron , 3G Ram, intel integrated graphics & 32bit Vista, running Calman ultimate v5, Cube Autocal / Lumagen Radiance with no issues tongue.gif

Like Derek said, it is hit of miss with older OS levels. .Net 4.5 is not available for XP and is recommended for V5 to run well. All I am saying is the OP has V4 that ran just fine on his laptop, V5 might not.. For me, it did not, even with updated drivers. Now, with a more current OS and new hardware I have no major issue.
post #16 of 29 Old 02-06-2013, 09:23 AM

scotti,
I'm a noob who is considering a hardware/software bundle so that I can do my own calibration.

I was wondering if you would be willing to answer a few questions for me.

First, when you talk about the need to evaluate "which color format (RGB or YCC) the display works with best" and to do "a bit of setup on the display" like brightness, contrast and cuts and gains, are those things that (1) you think a non-professional, end-user could get right given sufficient patience, trial and error, etc. and (2) for which there are resources to which such a person could refer to help him/her figure out whether or not they are right?

Second, if I bought a CalMAN/i1 display pro bundle, are there be any licensing restrictions that would prevent me from legally calibrating more than one display (i.e. my projector, my computer displays, my tvs)?

Thanks,
Mike
post #17 of 29 Old 02-06-2013, 09:31 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnergyManMSG View Post

First, when you talk about the need to evaluate "which color format (RGB or YCC) the display works with best" and to do "a bit of setup on the display" like brightness, contrast and cuts and gains, are those things that (1) you think a non-professional, end-user could get right given sufficient patience, trial and error, etc. and (2) for which there are resources to which such a person could refer to help him/her figure out whether or not they are right?

Everybody here at one time started out just where you are. There is plenty of info available both here and at SpectraCal's forum and SpectraCal is also just a phone call away.

Quote:

Second, if I bought a CalMAN/i1 display pro bundle, are there be any licensing restrictions that would prevent me from legally calibrating more than one display (i.e. my projector, my computer displays, my tvs)?

Calibrating multiple displays is not a problem. If you are also going to calibrate PC monitors you want the Enthusiast level of CalMAN as you need a CALPC client license.
post #18 of 29 Old 02-06-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

What Praz said.

Given a willingness to learn and an attention to detail, calibration is something just about anyone should be able to wrap their head around.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #19 of 29 Old 02-06-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Sooti. You married. After X number of years my wife can not turn on my home theater if I am away without calling me. And all she has to do is push two power buttons on. No matter how willing she was, there is no way in the world should could ever run an autocal on Spectracal or Chromapure. Your generalization is false. smile.gif

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #20 of 29 Old 02-06-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Sooti. You married. After X number of years my wife can not turn on my home theater if I am away without calling me. And all she has to do is push two power buttons on. No matter how willing she was, there is no way in the world should could ever run an autocal on Spectracal or Chromapure. Your generalization is false. smile.gif

No she doesn't have a willingness to learn.

It's not important enough for her to know how to do it, she's more comfortable just calling you.

My 5 year old wants to learn and has (to turn on the hometheater).

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #21 of 29 Old 02-06-2013, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Being capable of doing something does not mean that one wants to do it.
post #22 of 29 Old 02-06-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 580
I want to be able to do X. I really want it but I can't do it. I can't stuff a basketball. I really really try. My wife can do many things. But some things she just can't no matter how hard she tries. Things that are easy and simplistic to me.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #23 of 29 Old 02-06-2013, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

I want to be able to do X. I really want it but I can't do it. I can't stuff a basketball. I really really try. My wife can do many things. But some things she just can't no matter how hard she tries. Things that are easy and simplistic to me.

For example it is quite well documented than many more women then are challenged in their spatial reasoning. Some in fact are virutally impaired and can get lost in their own local neighborhoods. So I will agree with you that some men and women can not do some things. To Sotti's point though most of the difficulty with using AV control equipment is motivational. If someone can cook a meal, get kids off to school, buy groceries including driving back and forth to the store they have sufficient step memory to run the remote. On the other hand I have seen women including my wife that needs to make multiple pre-runs in the car to be assured of arriving at a new desitnation safely...

Technology phobia is real and can contribute to the reluctance to work the dials so to speak. I can recall my mother literally shaking and refusing to touch a computer keyboard even though she had worked and succeeded at a high level in the days of Selectric and manual typewriters. My elderly Mom lives with us and never touches the remote.

No matter how hard I try to sing the results will always be disastrous as I am partially tone deaf... Motivation will not fix that. In the case of getting the TV and AVR on and a Netflix movie up, that can be learned provided no physiological limitation and sufficient motivation. I include phobias in the physiological category for the sake of this discussion.

Just another blank signature.
post #24 of 29 Old 02-07-2013, 11:31 AM

Thanks for the reply and info! Enthusiast it is for me!
post #25 of 29 Old 02-07-2013, 11:33 AM

Thanks to both you and sotti for the encouragement!
post #26 of 29 Old 02-07-2013, 11:43 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:

You're welcome. smile.gif
post #27 of 29 Old 02-12-2013, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

After X number of years my wife can not turn on my home theater if I am away without calling me. And all she has to do is push two power buttons on.

OT, but I can't resist...

You made it too complicated. It has to be one power button. biggrin.gif And that single button has to configure everything too. My theater is as easy to use as a TV/DVD combo. My wife can handle it as well as a young woman (32 yo) who is living with us. The young lady has had friends over for "movie night" when my wife and I were out of town and everything went fine.
post #28 of 29 Old 02-12-2013, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

It'll be great. That's what I have with a Radiance and C6. (I run it on a 1.6G dual core laptop running 32 bit Win 7) Results are fabulous.
post #29 of 29 Old 02-13-2013, 02:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 49
I get fantastic results using an OEM D3 or a C6 via a Duo using either Calman 5 enthusiast or Chromapure.
My laptop is a 64bit PC using W7.
Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page