TV CALIBRATION - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 09-30-2012, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Have a Sony KDS-55A3000 SXRD BRAVIA. From what I've read, a professional calibration is worth the price. Any thoughts on if a calibration is worth doing and if so anyone know of any ISF certified techs in the Baltimore area(Towson-just north of Baltimore)? Best Buy has it for $250 thru Geek Squad, but i'm trying to stay away from BB. From what i've heard and read, Geek Squad is a ripoff- and basically imcompetent. Also curious of what the price of a good calibration will run. I'm seeing prices from $250 up to $700, and how long it takes. Thanks for any thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-30-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Here is an article you may find interesting and possibly helpful when trying to decide on a good calibrator. It has been a while since I read this but I believe it will answer all your questions and some you have not thought to ask.
http://www.tlvexp.ca/2011/12/hit-and-run-calibration-drive-by-shootings/

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 Old 09-30-2012, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting article Doug, That seems to confirm my initial thoughts that "you get what you pay for" regarding calibrations. So, in response to my first thread question, Does anyone know of any good ISF certified techs in the Baltimore area? Any thought would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob
post #4 of 17 Old 09-30-2012, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Send a message via AIM to Rayjr Send a message via Yahoo to Rayjr Send a message via Skype™ to Rayjr
Here is a list of calibrators that are THX Certified.

THX CALIBRATORS

Michael Chen (MichaelTLV) is one of the instructors of the THX Program

Hope this helps.

RayJr

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"

post #5 of 17 Old 09-30-2012, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 412
I travel to Baltimore quite often. I'll be in northern VA next weekend.

ISF/THX calibrator, HDTVbyChadB
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:

post #6 of 17 Old 10-01-2012, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Bob, you better play the lottery, having Chad available is a fantastic stroke of good luck! You will definitely get what you pay for and then some !

Doug

post #7 of 17 Old 10-01-2012, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 42
im looking for isf calibrator in new york area, i have LG55LM7600. and how much it cost and how many hours to be calibrated so that i can manage my time from work. thanks.

Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
post #8 of 17 Old 10-01-2012, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Chad, Any chance i'll have time for me when you're in Va? I'm about 20 minutes drive north of downtown Baltimore. If you could let me know i'd appreciate it. It's a Sony Bravia SXRD KDS-55A3000 - would like it calibrated. Thanks Doug for the heads-up. Bob
post #9 of 17 Old 10-01-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Sure, I'll contact you.

Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:

post #10 of 17 Old 10-05-2012, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by cglenn View Post

I just received my Samsung 8000. Out of the box, the picture has a slight greenish cast to it. Adjusting the red-green balance does not help it.

What are the settings I should play with to address this issue?

Thank-you.
You are hijacking this thread. It would be more productive to start your own thread of inquiry for your make and model of TV.
post #11 of 17 Old 10-06-2012, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Just had Chad calibrate my Sony highly recommend him. Loving the picture. Thanks Chad, i'll let you know about the Sharp 80LE632U. Bob
post #12 of 17 Old 12-24-2013, 04:34 AM

Liked: 12

I am looking for someone like Chad to calibrate my new Panasonic zt 65 in the baltimore area. Towson actually. thadhunter@hotmail.com.

Thanks guys. Great site

post #13 of 17 Old 12-24-2013, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, I get there every couple months on average. smile.gif

Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:

post #14 of 17 Old 12-24-2013, 06:08 AM

Chad. I read your review on the VT. Do you have any thoughts on the ZT 65inch? I ended up just paying the extra 300 for the ZT 65 inch over the VT. Thanks

post #15 of 17 Old 12-24-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

The ZT does seem slightly better at rejecting ambient light, especially at certain angles where the screen layer difference can be more obvious. Otherwise they behave identically. Both are absolutely wonderful displays.

Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:

post #16 of 17 Old 12-24-2013, 06:59 AM

Yea that is what I had gathered from reading other reviews. With the price drop I felt like it was worth it with the room I will be using it in. Thanks. Any ideas on when you will be in the area? Is it a good idea to put some hours on it before have you or someone calibrate it?

Thanks again

post #17 of 17 Old 12-24-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Probably Feb. Although there's no hard evidence I'm aware of, if you want to play it safe you should put about 300 hrs on it.

Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:

Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page