Can't calibrate with i1Display - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-30-2012, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey all, I'm at the end of my rope with my i1Display. I have been using Calman 5 with a Lumagen Radiance XD3D and JVC RS 40 projector. I own a colormunki design and use that to profile my i1Display before use each time. The problem I have been running into is with the new 3D LUT calibration. My colorimeter can't seem to read many shades of red. The meter fails with a read sync error every single time I get to a dark shade of red (25% I think), it also fails if I try to use a wide color gamut. I have tried many different placements (5", 1', 2', 5', 10') always reading off the screen, and nothing seems to help. Otherwise the meter works very well, and produces a great gamma curve. Has anyone else run into these types of issues reading red with the i1Display, is there something obvious that I could be getting so very wrong? Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-30-2012, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 342
I have run into an issue with the C6 where the red takes way longer to read than any other color. The C6 is the same hardware as your meter, just souped up with more calibration tables and more sophisticated exposure times and control by the software.
Have you tried runing the multipoint white balance with your i1Display and then the Cube calibration with the ColorMunki? Maybe that could get you a temporary fix until the issue can be truly resolved.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-30-2012, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Have you tried runing the multipoint white balance with your i1Display and then the Cube calibration with the ColorMunki? Maybe that could get you a temporary fix until the issue can be truly resolved.

Yeah, I can calibrate the 3D Cube with the Colormunki, but it takes most of the night (I have to leave it running and come back to it in the morning which wasted precious projector hours).
post #4 of 9 Old 09-30-2012, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dmaven View Post

Hey all, I'm at the end of my rope with my i1Display. I have been using Calman 5 with a Lumagen Radiance XD3D and JVC RS 40 projector. I own a colormunki design and use that to profile my i1Display before use each time. The problem I have been running into is with the new 3D LUT calibration. My colorimeter can't seem to read many shades of red. The meter fails with a read sync error every single time I get to a dark shade of red (25% I think), it also fails if I try to use a wide color gamut. I have tried many different placements (5", 1', 2', 5', 10') always reading off the screen, and nothing seems to help. Otherwise the meter works very well, and produces a great gamma curve. Has anyone else run into these types of issues reading red with the i1Display, is there something obvious that I could be getting so very wrong? Thanks for any advice.

Have you tried turning sync off?

The other thing you could try doing is extending the exposure time.

Try going into the color cube step and and using the triplet control in the lower left to pick red 71,16,16 to get that dark red color. Then you can play with exposure and sync modes till you find what works.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #5 of 9 Old 10-01-2012, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

Have you tried turning sync off?
The other thing you could try doing is extending the exposure time.
Try going into the color cube step and and using the triplet control in the lower left to pick red 71,16,16 to get that dark red color. Then you can play with exposure and sync modes till you find what works.

Thank you for the useful suggestions. I did try turning sync off, and I set the low level exposure to each setting (1, 1.5, 2, 3, 4, 5 I think). The meter just couldn't read that low red (71, 16, 16 as you say), nor could it read any red that migrated too far out (to the right) of the rec. 709 cie chart.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-01-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 111
What is your max light output reading? The RS40 I did had so little (light 8fl) I had issues reading red slow at 75% stimulus (this was just a standard cal with profiled C6).
I am sure you have the beast mounted to the ceiling but if your screen is utility gain and angle of the projector is not important, and you can pop it off the mount with out to much hassle, move it to a table close to the screen to bump up your light output. Not the most elegant solution but may help you get a better set of readings.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-01-2012, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

What is your max light output reading? The RS40 I did had so little (light 8fl) I had issues reading red slow at 75% stimulus (this was just a standard cal with profiled C6).
I am sure you have the beast mounted to the ceiling but if your screen is utility gain and angle of the projector is not important, and you can pop it off the mount with out to much hassle, move it to a table close to the screen to bump up your light output. Not the most elegant solution but may help you get a better set of readings.

Good point, I think I get around 5-6fl off the screen. Should I perhaps read off the projector instead? Moving the projector to calibrate seems an awful nuisance. Or, what if I just used optical zoom to scale to the minimum size (I'm in about the middle of the projector's throw range for my size screen), that would brighten things a bit I think? Also, how far do you usually place the colorimeter from the screen? BTW, thank you all for the great help and suggestions.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-01-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dmaven View Post

Good point, I think I get around 5-6fl off the screen. Should I perhaps read off the projector instead? Moving the projector to calibrate seems an awful nuisance. Or, what if I just used optical zoom to scale to the minimum size (I'm in about the middle of the projector's throw range for my size screen), that would brighten things a bit I think? Also, how far do you usually place the colorimeter from the screen? BTW, thank you all for the great help and suggestions.

What I would do is setup the i1 Display Pro facing the projector and close to it, and then profile the i1 Display Pro against the colormunki with the colormunki facing the screen.

That should take care of the light issues.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #9 of 9 Old 10-01-2012, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

I took your advice and it worked really well. When profiling Calman complained about the offset being really high, but things generally looked good to my eye. I got the following results from a 120 point calibration. Aside from 95IRE being a bit off everything looked really good, and after watching about 20 mins of a show things looked nice. Thanks for all the advice.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page