Questions about Spectracal Products - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 38 Old 05-30-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 154
So import issues aside, why does the Spectracal ColorBox (~$1600) cost so much more than the eeColor box (375 BPS or ~ $570USD as of yesterday?)

Or am I missing something on the Spectracal store?

Edit: Sorry misremembered the eeColor price ... but we're still talking at least 3x difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 05-30-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

So import issues aside, why does the Spectracal ColorBox (~$1600) cost so much more than the eeColor box (275 BPS or ~ $418USD as of yesterday?)

Or am I missing something on the Spectracal store?

We covered this before it's called margin and without margin companies don't stay in business. You can't sell hardware at cost or near cost. The original price of the eeColor was $1600 when launched two some years ago. Now you have company's selling at a heavily reduced discount. But lucky for the consumer you have a choice. Buy the ColorBox at it's original retail price or the discounted eeColor.

Derek

CTO / Founder - SpectraCal Inc.
post #33 of 38 Old 05-30-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjsmith View Post

We covered this before it's called margin and without margin companies don't stay in business. You can't sell hardware at cost or near cost. The original price of the eeColor was $1600 when launched two some years ago. Now you have company's selling at a heavily reduced discount. But lucky for the consumer you have a choice. Buy the ColorBox at it's original retail price or the discounted eeColor.

Just curious, I would have thought it be more expensive across the pond with all the VATs et al. then again there would also the cost of shipping/import which isn't in that $570 figure.

At the moment, I don't really see a need for the device since I've gotten my LG's average gamut dE down to ~2.0 even including the wonky 100% saturation points in the mix, while the greyscale is < 1.0 dE ... So either way, it would seem like severe overkill for my $550 display. wink.gif
post #34 of 38 Old 05-31-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

At the moment, I don't really see a need for the device since I've gotten my LG's average gamut dE down to ~2.0 even including the wonky 100% saturation points in the mix, while the greyscale is < 1.0 dE ... So either way, it would seem like severe overkill for my $550 display. wink.gif

I did a bit of statistics on this and I agree that for sets with a good internal CMS it is overkill. I do however like that I can have presets for HD and SD primaries and flip from D65 to D55 for the occasional old movie look, and there is a high "tinker" satisfaction factor if you are into such things. There is also the potential to do a lot of environmental adaptation using surround measurements and color models (CIECAM02 for example) but I haven't gone too far in that direction yet.

edit:

If you extrapolate the dE benefit to the entire color population the cost/(color*dE) improvement is about 0.7 cents per color relative to a good internal CMS and 0.3 cents per color starting from the native colorspace. (how's that for a marketing bullet point)
post #35 of 38 Old 05-31-2013, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjsmith View Post

I posted a reply to this, but it was pulled as an 'infraction' of the rules on product promotion.

Really weird, as other companies post about products all the time...

But anyway, the comments about 'margins' and 'at cost' or 'near cost', are without fact.

Enough said.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #36 of 38 Old 06-01-2013, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

I did a bit of statistics on this and I agree that for sets with a good internal CMS it is overkill. I do however like that I can have presets for HD and SD primaries and flip from D65 to D55 for the occasional old movie look, and there is a high "tinker" satisfaction factor if you are into such things. There is also the potential to do a lot of environmental adaptation using surround measurements and color models (CIECAM02 for example) but I haven't gone too far in that direction yet.

edit:

If you extrapolate the dE benefit to the entire color population the cost/(color*dE) improvement is about 0.7 cents per color relative to a good internal CMS and 0.3 cents per color starting from the native colorspace. (how's that for a marketing bullet point)

In my case, the one "big" error remaining on my set can't be corrected by a LUT anyway ... specifically the blue-magenta-red side of the triangle is just a smidge undersaturated, which wrecks havoc on the 100% saturated magenta point.
post #37 of 38 Old 06-01-2013, 01:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Illusion View Post

I posted a reply to this, but it was pulled as an 'infraction' of the rules on product promotion.

Really weird, as other companies post about products all the time...

But anyway, the comments about 'margins' and 'at cost' or 'near cost', are without fact.

Enough said.

I happened to see both of the offending posts before they were removed. I apologize for stirring up the hornet's nest, that wasn't my intention. To put the subject to bed, I choose to believe that Spectracal's "cost" may not have been the same as your (or the other fellow's) cost.
post #38 of 38 Old 06-02-2013, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

PS: I suppose I could have saved everyone the trouble if I had dove into the "LightSpace" thread first ... again, apologies.
Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page