Colormunki Display vs i1 Display Pro - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 10-10-2012, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does the Colormunki Display have the exact same hardware as the i1 Display Pro (aka Display 3)? The Xrite website comparison says the Colormunki Display isn't as fast in taking measurements but I wonder if that's just a consequence of the software they ship with the Colormunki vs the software they ship with the i1 Display Pro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-10-2012, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 99
display pro is a colorimeter the munki is a spectro, 2 different animals. Sectro is very accurate but not as fast and does not work as well in low light. Most pros either have a VERY expensive spectro that is fast, or they have a lesser priced spectro and a higher end colorimeter that they profile against the spectro. Best setup for a home user that want the best accuracy for the buck is an entry level specto and and i1 display pro. Lots and lots of discussion on the topic over the past years.. Do some searches in this forum on "profiling"
post #3 of 15 Old 10-10-2012, 06:29 AM

Some correction:

At least the newest Colormunki Display is a colorimeter and not a spector. The Colormunki Photo is a spectrophotometer.
post #4 of 15 Old 10-10-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
colormunki display is essentially a D3 colorimeter

colormunki photo is a spectro
post #5 of 15 Old 10-10-2012, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 145
As far as we know, the only differences are measuring speed, and the i1D3 has ambient color + luminance measuring vs just luminance on the CMD.
post #6 of 15 Old 10-10-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

display pro is a colorimeter the munki is a spectro, 2 different animals. Sectro is very accurate but not as fast and does not work as well in low light. Most pros either have a VERY expensive spectro that is fast, or they have a lesser priced spectro and a higher end colorimeter that they profile against the spectro. Best setup for a home user that want the best accuracy for the buck is an entry level specto and and i1 display pro. Lots and lots of discussion on the topic over the past years.. Do some searches in this forum on "profiling"
Please read my question carefully. I am aware that the Colormunki is a spectro, but I was asking about the Colormunki Display which is a colorimeter that looks just like the i1 Display Pro (D3).
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

As far as we know, the only differences are measuring speed, and the i1D3 has ambient color + luminance measuring vs just luminance on the CMD.
Is the speed difference between the CD and D3 a software limitation only, i.e. do they both measure at the same speeds when used with HCFR or Chromapure, etc.? I already have a Display Lt and I'm looking for a used i1 Pro but they're not easy to find. I was considering instead to get a brand new Colormunki Display if and only if it's identical (hardware-wise) to the D3. That's what I was looking for validation on.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-10-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 145
AFAIK, it's a limitation on the device.
post #8 of 15 Old 10-10-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by daMaster View Post

Please read my question carefully. I am aware that the Colormunki is a spectro, but I was asking about the Colormunki Display which is a colorimeter that looks just like the i1 Display Pro (D3).
Is the speed difference between the CD and D3 a software limitation only, i.e. do they both measure at the same speeds when used with HCFR or Chromapure, etc.? I already have a Display Lt and I'm looking for a used i1 Pro but they're not easy to find. I was considering instead to get a brand new Colormunki Display if and only if it's identical (hardware-wise) to the D3. That's what I was looking for validation on.

Also the Colormunki Display will only work with X-Rite software or HCFR, there is no official 3rd party support for the meter.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #9 of 15 Old 12-17-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

Also the Colormunki Display will only work with X-Rite software or HCFR, there is no official 3rd party support for the meter.

Has this been confirmed? Will ColorMunki work with CalMan 4 or 5?
post #10 of 15 Old 12-17-2012, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by guida74 View Post

Look at sotti's signature. smile.gif I'm not sure if this is accurate, but I believe that licensing restrictions prevent authorized OEMs like SpectraCal and ChromaPure from supporting the ColorMunki Display..? So while there is support for the ColorMunki Display in free software, such as HCFR and Argyll, it is not supported by CalMAN or ChromaPure. If you want to use one of the "Display 3" meters with CalMAN, then you can purchase either an OEM or retail i1Display Pro.
post #11 of 15 Old 12-17-2012, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

It has been confirmed for a while. It will NOT work with any CalMAN version. X-Rite has locked the meter to their software and have not released its SDK to 3rd party vendors including SpectraCal. HCFR's support is reverse-engineered and not "official".

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #12 of 15 Old 12-19-2012, 08:56 AM

How accurate is the ColorMunki Display? I bought this meter a week ago (brand new) and have been using it with HCFR v.3.0.4.0 to calibrate my DLP projector. For some reason I think that this colorimeter or at least mine may be providing higher readings for the blue primary, green and red seem to be on par. The reason I think this is becuase of all the professional reviews I have read for my projector (Optoma HD8200) the default warm color temperature setting for cinema or reference mode is +/- 7500K and I obtain consistent readings of upwards 7900K-8000K. On the RGB levels graph, the red, green and blue track linear per the professional reviews; (plus blue, green close to 6500K and minus red).

The picture looks much better after I calibrated to 6500K, but I keeping thinking in the back of my head; is the meter off??? I realize that these lower cost meters have limitations and cannot compare to the higher end professional equipment; but a 400K to 500K color temp. error seems substantial.

In HCFR I select my meter ColorMunki Display, display type refresh (single chip DLP), reading type non-contact, Spectral Sample Projector. Advanced menu, Preferences, General uncheck the use measured colors box. References tab select HDTV - REC 709 as the standard, Advanced tab I checked the Do not use luminance in delta E formula. From there I just followed the CurtPalme GREYSCALE & COLOUR CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES.

PS I don't think that the ColorMunki Display requires calibration before taking any measurements.
post #13 of 15 Old 12-19-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:

How accurate is the ColorMunki Display? I bought this meter a week ago (brand new) and have been using it with HCFR v.3.0.4.0 to calibrate my DLP projector. For some reason I think that this colorimeter or at least mine may be providing higher readings for the blue primary, green and red seem to be on par. The reason I think this is becuase of all the professional reviews I have read for my projector (Optoma HD8200) the default warm color temperature setting for cinema or reference mode is +/- 7500K and I obtain consistent readings of upwards 7900K-8000K. On the RGB levels graph, the red, green and blue track linear per the professional reviews; (plus blue, green close to 6500K and minus red).
The picture looks much better after I calibrated to 6500K, but I keeping thinking in the back of my head; is the meter off??? I realize that these lower cost meters have limitations and cannot compare to the higher end professional equipment; but a 400K to 500K color temp. error seems substantial.
In HCFR I select my meter ColorMunki Display, display type refresh (single chip DLP), reading type non-contact, Spectral Sample Projector. Advanced menu, Preferences, General uncheck the use measured colors box. References tab select HDTV - REC 709 as the standard, Advanced tab I checked the Do not use luminance in delta E formula. From there I just followed the CurtPalme GREYSCALE & COLOUR CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES.
PS I don't think that the ColorMunki Display requires calibration before taking any measurements.

Another thing that just came to mind and enters the equation is my screen material; maybe there is a colour shift towards blue? I have a 92" Elunevision Reference Studio 4K Tab-Tensioned motorized screen with 1.0 Gain? Thoughts?
post #14 of 15 Old 01-08-2014, 08:58 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

How accurate is the ColorMunki Display?

Guilda74, could you please tell us what and how did you to make Colormunki Display works with Color HCFR? I have one and I'm not able to use with this software yet!!

Thank you
Ivan Milazzotti
post #15 of 15 Old 01-08-2014, 09:08 AM

Ivan,

Its been a while since I used the ColorMunki and I have since sold it....

It does work with Color HCFR, just search on AVS and there is a wealth of info on it with tutorials on getting it set-up; if I recall I had to install a USB driver which was on the supplied CD to get HCFR to recognize it.

Good Luck!
iMilazzo likes this.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page