Newbie, Calibration and Recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-13-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

I am completely new to the projection world and I just wanted to share an experience from my newbie standpoint. Having very limited knowledge in this realm I spent a lot of time reading posts in this forum and others along with various podcasts and educated myself as best I could so when it came time to buy a projector I would be able to get the most out of the process. With the help of the resources above I settled on a JVC DLA-RS20. I bought it used from a local seller. The projector had already been calibrated by a well known individual in the calibration business so I was very excited to get it home and installed so my kids and I could enjoy it. I have had it up for approx 3 weeks and have been enjoying every minute of it. It has been a great investment.

Now, knowing that the projector had been calibrated before I didn't even think to have to have re-callibrated for my environment. I was sincerely happy with the picture. I played around with moving back and forth from the THX setting and the calibrated one. While the THX setting was very good the calibrated one was better. Everyone who came to watch a movie at my house was very impressed with the picture.

About two weeks ago I had contacted Ray Coronado Jr from SoCal HT (http://socalht.com/index.html) regarding projector placement details and a little bit of troubleshooting. He was very gracious when it came to answering my questions even though I had not purchased anything from him. He took me through all of my questions with detailed answers that included the reason why I wanted to do certain things and what the affects would be if I wasn't able to do those things. I sincerely appreciated that help.

Last week I called Ray again to discuss possibly having him come out to look at my projector and giving it a full THX calibration. I told him that it had already been calibrated and that I thought it looked pretty good. However he explained to me the benefits of having it calibrated in my environment and what benefits I could possibly see by doing this. Coming to the conclusion that this would be money well spent I decided to have the work done this morning. Ray arrived ahead of schedule and prepared for the work ahead. He spent several hours with me not only going through the calibration process but explaining to me what he was doing every step of the way. He made it a total learning experience for me. It turned out to be a fun process. Worth every penny. The end result was far superior to the previous calibration as well. I can't believe that I have such a stunning image in my living room now. Good stuff...

Bottom line is if you are new to this, are in Southern California and have a projector and or TV to calibrate Ray Coronado of SoCal HT does fantastic work. I would whole-heartedly recommend him to anybody I know personally in need of his services. When the time comes to do it all over again with a new projector down the road I will call upon him again.

Thank you Ray!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-13-2012, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Ray's the MAN!smile.gif
post #3 of 3 Old 10-15-2012, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Send a message via AIM to Rayjr Send a message via Yahoo to Rayjr Send a message via Skype™ to Rayjr
Thanks for the kind words Chris....hope you are enjoying your RS-20

RayJr.
Reply Display Calibration