Color control. What does it really? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-19-2012, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a projector with a CMS that does not work. The color space is very large, and colors are overly saturated

I can correct oversaturated colors in CIE by controlling color?

The color control allows me to reduce the saturation of the color?

There are some negative effect if I adjust the saturation by controlling color?

Thank you very much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I believe the color control just reduced the brightness of the colors not the saturation. I used to have an RS-1 with oversaturated colors and it helped fool you if you lowered the color but all it did was tone down the brightness of the colors.
diego hammer likes this.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Tom Huffman has the best description:

Goto the section titled "Why can't I fix oversaturated colors by simply turning down the main Color control?"

http://www.avsforum.com/t/852536/basic-guide-to-color-calibration-using-a-cms-updated-and-enhanced
diego hammer likes this.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

Old 10-19-2012, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Tom Huffman has the best description:
Goto the section titled "Why can't I fix oversaturated colors by simply turning down the main Color control?"
http://www.avsforum.com/t/852536/basic-guide-to-color-calibration-using-a-cms-updated-and-enhanced

What Huffman tells us, that the color control does not work to solve problems in the saturation color space? Is that correct?

If that is correct, a question. Why manufacturers put color control?. Color control is a tool unnecessary in a projector?

Thank you very much
Old 10-19-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by diego hammer View Post

What Huffman tells us, that the color control does not work to solve problems in the saturation color space? Is that correct?
If that is correct, a question. Why manufacturers put color control?. Color control is a tool unnecessary in a projector?
Thank you very much

Color luminance can be a problem.

More than anything it's just legacy from the analog broadcast days.

When they added color to the black and white system, the color information was on a slightly different frequency than the B&W data. Basically the B&W is just the Y in YCrCb encoding, the color being the CrCb data. Well as the signal traveled 35 miles or more, the CrCb data could attenuate at a different rate than the Y data and would also shift it's phase slightly.

If you remember back to the old console style TV's they often had Color phase and Color amplitude, which eventually became just color and tint. Now that everything is all digital all the time, these two controls are completely redundant, our ability to correctly decode YCrCb data to RGB, shouldn't need any "tuning" parameters. But with the creative things Manufacturers do to sell sets with 13,000K white points, sometimes the color and tint can still help get a more accurate image.
diego hammer likes this.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
Old 10-19-2012, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

Color luminance can be a problem.
More than anything it's just legacy from the analog broadcast days.
When they added color to the black and white system, the color information was on a slightly different frequency than the B&W data. Basically the B&W is just the Y in YCrCb encoding, the color being the CrCb data. Well as the signal traveled 35 miles or more, the CrCb data could attenuate at a different rate than the Y data and would also shift it's phase slightly.
If you remember back to the old console style TV's they often had Color phase and Color amplitude, which eventually became just color and tint. Now that everything is all digital all the time, these two controls are completely redundant, our ability to correctly decode YCrCb data to RGB, shouldn't need any "tuning" parameters. But with the creative things Manufacturers do to sell sets with 13,000K white points, sometimes the color and tint can still help get a more accurate image.

thanks for such a detailed explanation

I understand that trying to correct the saturation by controlling the main color is not possible or appropriate because it would cause even greater errors in color luminance ?

excuse my english
Old 10-19-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by diego hammer View Post

thanks for such a detailed explanation
I understand that trying to correct the saturation by controlling the main color is not possible or appropriate because it would cause even greater errors in color luminance ?
excuse my english

Not only that, but it doesn't have any effect on saturation at the edge of the gamut.

If you're display is undersaturated at 100% saturation, that is simply a physical limitation of the display. Nothing can fix that kind of error.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer