Can Sharp 80LC632 or 633 be calibrated to ISF levels. Opinions from ISF folks are needed. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-21-2012, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Folks, can any of those 2 TV's be calibrated to the solid ISF performance. Questions I have:
1. Will ISF calibration take into account daytime viewing (ideally I would like to store two profiles Day and Night ISF).
2. Are these TV's more or less expensive to be calibrated?

Anybody in the Chicagoland is willing to come out and do the calibration for me? Pls PM me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvzzz View Post

Folks, can any of those 2 TV's be calibrated to the solid ISF performance. Questions I have:
1. Will ISF calibration take into account daytime viewing (ideally I would like to store two profiles Day and Night ISF).
2. Are these TV's more or less expensive to be calibrated?
Anybody in the Chicagoland is willing to come out and do the calibration for me? Pls PM me.

Yes, I have calibrated many 632Us, and they calibrate well. The measurements are not as perfect as can be had on some displays, but they can still be good. More important, the overall image after calibration can be extremely impressive.

1) It can, though the calibrated modes will not be labelled as "day" and "night", and they will not be locked. Movie would be the most accurate "night" mode. Be sure to tell your calibrator you would like separate day and night modes.

2) Usually the same, but it could depend on the calibrator's pricing structure. They are very easy to calibrate once the calibrator has a good grasp on how it's CMS and gamut behave.

I reviewed the 80LE632U here on AVS: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1363281/official-sharp-aquos-lc-80le632u-owners-thread/30#post_21074429

I tour to Chicago several times a year, as do others.

ISF/THX calibrator with Jeti 1211 reference spectro
Latest reviews:LG 65UB9800Samsung UN65HU8550UN65HU9000, UN85HU8550, LG 55EC9300, LG 55EA8800 (including 3D)

Why I don't publish settings, Review index and rankings, Florida tour Dec '14, Texas tour Jan '15
Old 10-22-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 228
The whole day/night thing is massively overblown. You CANNOT calibrate for "day" because "day" is not consistent. Clouds come, clouds go, seasons change, sunlight is different at different times of day. Room lights are different than daylight. Anything in the room that is changed or moved will change the reflected light in the room. You simply cannot calibrate for a moving target. All you can do is find brighter settings that are still accurate (in a dark room) and call that "day" mode. Though it has nothing (really) to do with being CALIBRATED when there is light in the room. Light in the room de-calibrates a display, even if it is set brighter. I would set the TV somewhere close to 30-35 fL for a dark room, then find settings that get up to maybe 55 fL for a plasma (if it will even get that bright) or maybe 60 fL for an LCD panel. All "day" mode would be is a 60 fL mode that's accurate in a dark room because there's simply no way to know what light is going to be present in the room at any given moment.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX -- ISF -- HAA
Old 10-22-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Greetings

I just tell clients to bump up the backlight to get their "day" mode.

regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

Old 10-22-2012, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, this makes sense. True, I need more light output from the set when daylight. Most of my movie watching is at night but I do watch fair amount during the day time on weekends on winter months. I will keep your suggestions in mind once I discuss it with the local calibrator. One more question: about calibration when everything is run through a DVDO Edge Green processor? I assume we still calibrate the set and processor is not a variable here? I know Edge has CMS capabilities built in not sure how to do it?

Thanks.