PLEASE HELP!!!! LG 47LM4600 3D HDTV CALIBRATION SETTINGS!! PLEASE!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 10-30-2012, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am new here and am in great need of help, calibrating my new t.v. It's an LG 47LM4600 3D HDTV.... IV'E never had a t.v. as nice as this one, I hope sincerely that someone here will take time to help someone like me who would so much appreciate it. I really want to see my t.v. at its best, we can't wait for your help, who ever you are out there, thx in advance!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-30-2012, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 252
You are best off to get a calibration disk like AVS HD709, Spears & Munsil, Wow, etc and set the basics (brightness, contrast, sharpness, aspect, color, etc) yourself, or hire a professional calibrator. Sharing settings may be a way to get started to learn what does what but every tv is different and so is your viewing environment so using someone else's settings is not the best way to go.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-30-2012, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thx for trying to help. Which calibration disc that you've shown me do you think is the best?
post #4 of 16 Old 10-30-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbigabbi View Post

Thx for trying to help. Which calibration disc that you've shown me do you think is the best?
The 'Disney World Of Wonder' Blu-ray Disc is the best program for beginners.
post #5 of 16 Old 11-02-2012, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

I picked up the WOW disc like you said, a little confused on the [ADVANCED CONTRAST TEST] Please advise...
post #6 of 16 Old 11-02-2012, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Ball's in your court George wink.gif
post #7 of 16 Old 11-03-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Ball's in your court George wink.gif
Since you were the first to suggest the 'WOW' disc, shouldn't you to respond ahead of me? Besides, abbigabbi's statement is so vague there's nothing to respond to or advise about. Saying, "a little confused," doesn't provide much to work with.
post #8 of 16 Old 11-03-2012, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

I don't understand how to properly gauge while doing the (advanced contrast test) as to where to set (ideal white) to, my contrast on my LG 47 LM4600 is peaking at about 97 right now as is, I've set ideal white so that (the visible white area) is all that can be seen, ideal whit barely seen, that right? Also the SHARPNESS! What a challenge for me with the (Advanced Sharpness) test... I have no idea even with the test what would be considered proper calibration, it mentions that halo effects and such artifacts are not optimal, when u can see them you are supposed to know to back it down, problem is when the contest is all the way up (100%) it doesn't show any halo... I don't know how else to judge... I hope this is enough detail to help with guys, i really do, i want this thing to look great... Thanks for your time.
post #9 of 16 Old 11-03-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB View Post

Since you were the first to suggest the 'WOW' disc, shouldn't you to respond ahead of me? Besides, abbigabbi's statement is so vague there's nothing to respond to or advise about. Saying, "a little confused," doesn't provide much to work with.

WoW was one of three disks I suggested. Personally, I've only used the AVS HD709 disk so I have no first hand experience with the disk and yes, "a little confused" is vague. Besides, you have much more experience in calibrating than I do so your depth of knowledge on all matters calibrating is better than mine.
post #10 of 16 Old 11-03-2012, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Hi George, please read my last post on this thread, its a large paragraph of exactly what I'm having trouble with, (PRIMARILY THE SHARP ADJUSTMENT FOR OPTIMAL CALIBRATION) I've explained in detail what my issues are... Need your help...
post #11 of 16 Old 11-03-2012, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Anybody? Anywhere? Sharpness, please, this is impossible to size up it seems..
post #12 of 16 Old 11-03-2012, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbigabbi View Post

I don't understand how to properly gauge while doing the (advanced contrast test) as to where to set (ideal white) to, my contrast on my LG 47 LM4600 is peaking at about 97 right now as is, I've set ideal white so that (the visible white area) is all that can be seen, ideal whit barely seen, that right? Also the SHARPNESS! What a challenge for me with the (Advanced Sharpness) test... I have no idea even with the test what would be considered proper calibration, it mentions that halo effects and such artifacts are not optimal, when u can see them you are supposed to know to back it down, problem is when the contest is all the way up (100%) it doesn't show any halo... I don't know how else to judge... I hope this is enough detail to help with guys, i really do, i want this thing to look great... Thanks for your time.
I am not experienced with your make and model of TV. Every display type may behave a bit differently from the ideal or from others. Picture adjustment ranges will vary from one display type or model to the next. Test patterns are for general use and some discs offer differing versions of a specific type of test pattern.

Some general guides for avoiding too high contrast are:
1. Avoid producing coloration in the white- usually the white will go slightly pink (magenta).
2. Avoid blanking out white steps above 100% as much as possible.
3. Avoid producing obvious eye strain from too bright of an image in your viewing environment lighting conditions.
Here's a link to a decent tutorial on setting contrast: http://www.tlvexp.ca/tutorials/3-contrast/ .

The sharpness pattern on the 'WOW' program is reportedly very sensitive to slight adjustments.
Here's a link to a decent tutorial on setting sharpness: http://www.tlvexp.ca/tutorials/part1/ .

You may get some assistance from fellow owners of your make and model of LCD. They may be more familiar with unique quirks about the behavior of your set. You can start a thread there or do a search within that section.
Here's a link to that section of this forum: http://www.avsforum.com/f/166/lcd-flat-panel-displays .

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
A Lion AV Consultants affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"
post #13 of 16 Old 11-03-2012, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much, I've done it. Thank you.
post #14 of 16 Old 11-13-2012, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just picked up this TV and used the "in settings" calibration. Came out looking great. I gotta dig out my real calibration disc eventually though. My one big problem is that, the calibrated settings don't apply to 3d.
post #15 of 16 Old 11-26-2012, 01:47 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaze0 View Post

I just picked up this TV and used the "in settings" calibration. Came out looking great. I gotta dig out my real calibration disc eventually though. My one big problem is that, the calibrated settings don't apply to 3d.

How do you calibrate the 3d setting? The menu is not available.
post #16 of 16 Old 11-26-2012, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Wound up calibrating in 2D mode and manually tweaking, it's a pretty terrible experience though frown.gif

It seems like it makes some adjustments to 3D automatically when you switch to a 3D mode. I think brightness and sharpness.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page