xvYCC on or not for cal. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 11-02-2012, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Did my first Calman 5 calibration on my Sammy Plasma last night. I used movie mode and there was a setting for "xvYCC" on/off. I turned it off. Should I have it on and does it have something to do with color gamut?

Sammy 4k UN65HU9000 CURVED - Calman5 Calibrated" ------------- Oppo 103D for Blu Ray & SACD & DVD-A
Denon X4000 Audio Video Receiver
B&W 602 S3 & B&W HTM62 Center with Axiom QS4 surrounds ---------- SVS PB-1000 SUBWOOFER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-02-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 174
I'd turn it off.

There is no xvYCC content, so best case everything looks exactly the same.

Worst case the xvYCC implementation is broken and you get artifacts.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #3 of 17 Old 11-02-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

I'd turn it off.

is that setting the same as deep color (such as on a BD player or PS3)? or is it different but still related?
post #4 of 17 Old 11-02-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

is that setting the same as deep color (such as on a BD player or PS3)? or is it different but still related?

Deep Color is a little bit different, it just adds bit depth, which could be good provided your processor and display also have support for it.

DeepColor = more bits.
xvYCC = wider gamut.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #5 of 17 Old 11-02-2012, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'd turn it off.

Thanks sotti. I figured if not sure then off would be better until I asked about it.

On another note during my calibration using the movie mode my luminance is not high enough for dim lit room. It was just above 30 and Calman said "40 to 50 for dim lit and 30-40 for dark lit room" I had my cell light at max 20 so no room to go up.

I used movie mode because it was very close to D6500 right? I had no problem getting deltaE at 2 or less on a 2 point gray scale cal @ 30 and 80%.

Sammy 4k UN65HU9000 CURVED - Calman5 Calibrated" ------------- Oppo 103D for Blu Ray & SACD & DVD-A
B&W 602 S3 & B&W HTM62 Center with Axiom QS4 surrounds ---------- SVS PB-1000 SUBWOOFER
post #6 of 17 Old 11-02-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't worry about luminance targets, that is just general rule of thumb guidance.

30fL should be fine for a dim room.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #7 of 17 Old 11-02-2012, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Don't worry about luminance targets, that is just general rule of thumb guidance.
30fL should be fine for a dim room.

Good to know. Picture looked great. Now going on to a 10pt cal and then I'll take a look at CMS which can be adjusted on my display.smile.gif

post #8 of 17 Old 11-03-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 227

xvYCC is not something that is "added" to non-xvYCC sources by processing. All it does is look for the "extra xvYCC code" within the video stream. If that code is there, the xvYCC processing decodes it and plays the source with the larger gamut it was encoded with. But xvYCC-encoded sources can be played on non-xvYCC hardware because xvYCC video's "core" or "root" video is a "nornal" HD video stream. Only the expanded gamut data is encoded separately from the conventional video stream... if that "extra" data is not there, xvYCC can't do anything. And if that "extra" data is there, the video will still play normally even if xvYCC is disabled... you just won't get the wider gamut. If you don't have a personal digital video camera that you use to make xvYCC-encoded video and nobody ever sends you such a disc, you'll NEVER use xvYCC whether it is enabled or disabled.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #9 of 17 Old 01-03-2013, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

xvYCC is not something that is "added" to non-xvYCC sources by processing. All it does is look for the "extra xvYCC code" within the video stream. If that code is there, the xvYCC processing decodes it and plays the source with the larger gamut it was encoded with. But xvYCC-encoded sources can be played on non-xvYCC hardware because xvYCC video's "core" or "root" video is a "nornal" HD video stream. Only the expanded gamut data is encoded separately from the conventional video stream... if that "extra" data is not there, xvYCC can't do anything. And if that "extra" data is there, the video will still play normally even if xvYCC is disabled... you just won't get the wider gamut. If you don't have a personal digital video camera that you use to make xvYCC-encoded video and nobody ever sends you such a disc, you'll NEVER use xvYCC whether it is enabled or disabled.

I know there's no recent activity here, but wanted to ask a question regarding this. I have a UN65ES8000 Sammy and a Pioneer Elite VSX-53 AVR. I know both support xvYCC, so thought I should turn it on in the TV menu. After reading this I figured there would be no change because the actual source from DirecTV isn't sending an actual xvYCC signal, or whatever you want to call it, but when I turn xvYCC on in the TV menu, I get a definite change in my picture quality. I'm not saying it looks better, but there is a definite and obvious change in the colors on the TV. They actually seem to look a little washed out compared to having it off, but still. So my question is, why am I able to see a change in my picture/color quality when enabling it if the source doesn't actually have it? Is it being added by the AVR and the TV is utilizing it from there? If that's the case, should it be left on for a wider color gamut and then recalibrated?
post #10 of 17 Old 01-03-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestered View Post

I know there's no recent activity here, but wanted to ask a question regarding this. I have a UN65ES8000 Sammy and a Pioneer Elite VSX-53 AVR. I know both support xvYCC, so thought I should turn it on in the TV menu. After reading this I figured there would be no change because the actual source from DirecTV isn't sending an actual xvYCC signal, or whatever you want to call it, but when I turn xvYCC on in the TV menu, I get a definite change in my picture quality. I'm not saying it looks better, but there is a definite and obvious change in the colors on the TV. They actually seem to look a little washed out compared to having it off, but still. So my question is, why am I able to see a change in my picture/color quality when enabling it if the source doesn't actually have it? Is it being added by the AVR and the TV is utilizing it from there? If that's the case, should it be left on for a wider color gamut and then recalibrated?

If it directv looks different with it on, something in your xvYCC pipeline is broken.
Turn it off.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #11 of 17 Old 01-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
That's what I figured and exactly what I did. Thanks for the response!
post #12 of 17 Old 01-04-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Yeah, I agree, if turning on xvYCC changes the image visibly when you are playing nornal non-xvYCC sources, one or both of the involved components are doing something wrong. It's always safest to keep it turned off, but turning it on should not change what you see on-screen from normal consumer video sources (cable, satellite, blu-ray) should not change at all. xvYCC's coordinates for the wider gamut are unrecognizeable to any normal "HDTV mode". If that mode changes anything, the TV or source have some kind of problem.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #13 of 17 Old 10-11-2013, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Now that we have xvYCC consumer sources available with the Sony "Mastered in 4K" blurays, how do we calibrate for it?

I see there are options for DCI or rec2020 in the latest Calman, but no xvYCC option. So supposing we have content, a source and a display able to handle xvycc, what do we have to do to display the wider gamut properly?
post #14 of 17 Old 10-11-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

Now that we have xvYCC consumer sources available with the Sony "Mastered in 4K" blurays, how do we calibrate for it?

I see there are options for DCI or rec2020 in the latest Calman, but no xvYCC option. So supposing we have content, a source and a display able to handle xvycc, what do we have to do to display the wider gamut properly?

For calibration, you could create a custom color target within CalMAN. Make sure that you have all 3 parts (source, content, and display), and that xvYCC is switched on in the source and display, then create the custom target. You would have to use xvYCC test patterns, and I don't know if any currently exist.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #15 of 17 Old 10-11-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. Do you know the gamut coordinates of xvycc so that a custom gamut can be created?
post #16 of 17 Old 10-11-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

Thanks. Do you know the gamut coordinates of xvycc so that a custom gamut can be created?

There aren't xvYCC coordinates, all the x,y coordinates are based off Rec.709, then the xvYCC adds a differencing off of those to extend out. But the extension to the gamut isn't constant, it varies based on the ability to create differences in the signaling.

You could think of them as 110% saturation points.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #17 of 17 Old 10-11-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Joel, just got your reply in the Calman forum as I wasn't sure you were still following this thread.
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page