LightSpace CMS Now Supports Lumagen + eeColor 3D-LUT 4 All - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-18-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

Mr. Shaw was referring to the argyll drivers, which were written custom as opposed to using the x-rite SDK.

I'm unaware of any X-Rite licensee, ie actual company that is out of compliance. So unless you mean an open source project is a respected business, I think you are out of bounds. Not that argyll isn't respectable in their own right, but they are open about the fact they used some work arounds to get D3 support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgill View Post

It's an anti-competitive, artificial market segmentation scheme, something that other companies and industries have attempted too, such as the DVD consortium with region locking. Competition regulators typically take a dim view of such schemes. Companies see what they are able to get away with.

They (ie. Both X-Rite and Sequel, from which they inherited the i1d2), have used this in the past, X-Rite with the DTP22 Digital Swatchbook, and Sequel with the i1d1 & i1d2 and it's predecessors which has a 4 byte "OEM" key. (There could be others - they are just the ones I know about.)

Hi Derek,

Please call off sotti and gwgill. You said you would withdraw your battalions because of too much name calling. Sotti just tagged-team with gwgill to create a flash point topic users are not interested in. Users rule this thread, not developers. We buy your stuff as much as Light Space. This could back fire big time.

Kind Regards,

JJ
mad.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Ft Print View Post

Hi Derek,

Please call off sotti and gwgill. You said you would withdraw your battalions because of too much name calling. Sotti just tagged-team with gwgill to create a flash point topic users are not interested in. Users rule this thread, not developers. We buy your stuff as much as Light Space. This could back fire big time.

Kind Regards,

JJ
mad.gif

First I see nothing wrong with Joel's "sotti" post it is just informational in correcting a point made. Second Graeme "gwgill" does not work for us.

Derek

CTO / Founder - SpectraCal Inc.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 224
DrFaxe, any progress/results to report?

While we do suggest the 'minimum' possible number of pre-calibration settings to be used, that is to prevent 'fighting' between the pre-settings and the actual LUT calibration.

But, having said that, if using additional pre-settings gets a 'cleaner' starting point that is also valid ( it's just harder to accomplish, so we don't initially suggest that approach...).

I think you have probably worked that out for yourself though cool.gif

What's key to focus on is that all the users posting their comments here have gained great results - and as they have experimented they have adopted their own approach to using LightSpace - which is very valid.
We try to set initial starting points to get to see good results as easily as possible - but that's not to say that's as good as it gets. biggrin.gif

Do ask questions though, and we will respond as quickly as we can. as will other users.
There is also a lot of user experience on the Light Illusion forum pages too.

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

Old 12-18-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Interesting information from Don Munsil

Hi Buzz,

Don went on to clarify that statement to avoid the confusion it seems to have caused:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunsil View Post

So yes, I was imprecise. When I said that BT.1886 had a "pure" 2.4 curve, I just meant it doesn't have the linear tail and explicit scaling that's in sRGB and BT.709's encoding curve. I was mentally discounting the black level compensation, because those other curves don't specify black level compensation, and my mental model of how they are actually implemented is basically like BT.1886, but with their piecewise curve substituted for the simple 2.4 power curve.

Joel has informed me via PM that many calibrators and display manufacturers do not do it that way - they treat the gamma curve as an absolute, except for some fudging near zero to avoid clipping. And that fudging is different from implementation to implementation.

More evidence that we need BT.1886, if you ask me. And frankly, it appears that the computer industry needs an addendum to sRGB that specifies a recommended practice for dealing with actual display minimum black levels. Because right now it seems like it's all over the map.

The key advantage to BT.1886 over LS's pure power 2.4 is it's recommend black point compensation via the annex 1 formula.

Also see Don's post here for some nice history on BT.1886 CRT emulation.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 249
It can be very difficult for vendors to convince X-Rite to allow them to support the retail version of the i1D3. I worked on this for two years arguing, pleading, threatening, begging, and using every other tactic I could think of to convince them to allow ChromaPure to support the retail meter. I finally resorted to just forwarding every customer complaint I got about this (of which there were many) to my X-Rite contact, who was personally sympathetic, but did not make company policy. They finally relented after we had lost god knows how much market share and sales.

The only reason to care about the retail meter is that it works with X-Rite's free PC profiling software. The OEM version doesn't. Otherwise, they are functionally identical. It is also extremely beneficial for a vendor such as us to have retail support because there are a lot of opportunistic buyers who have already purchased the retail meter for whatever reason who subsequently come to you asking to buy your software. We had to turn away countless potential sales of this type until we finally secured support.

Graeme is a very talented programmer who reverse engineered the X-Rite driver, so the products he develops are not subject to the sort of restrictions that X-Rite partners are subject to. He can even add extra features. This extends to support for the less-expensive ColorMunki Display, which is slower than the the i1D3, but is otherwise functionally the same, support for which X-Rite continues to withhold from vendors. No doubt writing that he "hacked" the driver was merely an inartful way of describing what he really does, which is reverse engineering. And, yes, I am sure that X-Rite does not like this, not that this should concern anyone here.

What I found really, really strange about all of this this is that for the life of me I could never comprehend how these sort of restrictions made X-Rite one extra dime of profit. I could never really get a rational answer from them explaining this policy. In the end it seemed like they had different internal divisions and they wanted to ensure that each received their share of orders. To be quite frank, they can get away with this obnoxious policy only because they are a functional monopoly. I am not a lawyer and I am not making a legal claim. Simply from the standpoint of common sense if you want a really good affordable colorimeter X-Rite is the ONLY source on the planet, so even if they piss you off where else are you going to go? The Spyder4 is just not competitive with the i1D3, and the Discus is quadruple the price with very little extra in performance and whose form factor makes it LESS functional for those calibrating projectors. To get a clearly superior colorimeter you need to get a Klein K-10A which is about 25x more expensive than the i1D3. If I were Klein I would be nervously looking over my shoulder because X-Rite could very easily scale up the i1D3 and release a professional colorimeter that would equal the K-10A's performance at a 1/4 the cost, if they wanted to. Fortunately for Klein I don't think they want to. X-Rite seems to have had a somewhat unsatisfying experience with the Hubble and professional display calibration has always been a tiny part of their business, which is concentrated on the photography and PC profiling segment.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

Old 12-19-2013, 12:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post

In the end it seemed like they had different internal divisions and they wanted to ensure that each received their share of orders.
One of my acquaintances with more direct contact with X-Rite certainly has the view that internally they have many factions, and is far from cohesive. This is not an unusual situation when a company is the product of the acquisition of many other companies. Perhaps we are lucky in some ways that they are not perfectly single minded :-)
Quote:
If I were Klein I would be nervously looking over my shoulder because X-Rite could very easily scale up the i1D3 and release a professional colorimeter that would equal the K-10A's performance at a 1/4 the cost, if they wanted to.
I'm sure there are many talented people in X-Rite cable of stepping up to the plate if they so desired, but (as I hear it), Tom Lianza is no longer with the company. Perhaps he is still doing work for them in some other capacity - I've yet to hear exactly what the situation is.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

The key advantage to BT.1886 over LS's pure power 2.4 is it's recommend black point compensation via the annex 1 formula.
As has been said LS does use the Annex data, and soon it will also offer the user the ability to use Appendix adjustments too.

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

Old 12-19-2013, 05:18 AM

Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Illusion View Post

DrFaxe, any progress/results to report?

While we do suggest the 'minimum' possible number of pre-calibration settings to be used, that is to prevent 'fighting' between the pre-settings and the actual LUT calibration.

But, having said that, if using additional pre-settings gets a 'cleaner' starting point that is also valid ( it's just harder to accomplish, so we don't initially suggest that approach...).

I think you have probably worked that out for yourself though cool.gif

What's key to focus on is that all the users posting their comments here have gained great results - and as they have experimented they have adopted their own approach to using LightSpace - which is very valid.
We try to set initial starting points to get to see good results as easily as possible - but that's not to say that's as good as it gets. biggrin.gif

Do ask questions though, and we will respond as quickly as we can. as will other users.
There is also a lot of user experience on the Light Illusion forum pages too.

Steve

Hi Steve

to be honest, not yet. My display is still in the break-in period and I will not stress it before 500 hrs with longer profiling sessions.
I will do some QPs tomorrow to see if the precal setup I choosed is good. As soon as the data is available I report here.

Thanks a lot for taking so much care...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Illusion View Post

As has been said LS does use the Annex data, and soon it will also offer the user the ability to use Appendix adjustments too.

Steve

thankfully this statement will end the debate !
Old 12-19-2013, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Here are some screen shots of a profile/LUT (4913) I just did using my above suggestion, only tweaking the RGB settings a little. Color space came out at 99%, all the charts are the Raw data no filters or touch up.

ss
Old 12-19-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Here are some screen shots of a profile/LUT (4913) I just did using my above suggestion, only tweaking the RGB settings a little. Color space came out at 99%, all the charts are the Raw data no filters or touch up.

ss

Excellent, ss. smile.gif
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

Old 12-19-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Here are some screen shots of a profile/LUT (4913) I just did using my above suggestion, only tweaking the RGB settings a little. Color space came out at 99%, all the charts are the Raw data no filters or touch up. ss

Hi Silly Sally:

Excellent! I noticed your Pre-Cal Contrast Ratio was over 22,000:1. WOW. My Epson Projector's Pre-Cal CR is only 1,700+:1. What's working against my contrast ratio is my 10ft wide matte white screen, lots of reflective light going back into the screen (white ceilings and light colored walls), an anamorphic lens which absorbs 25% of the total projector luminance and I can't use "auto iris" during calibrations. Auto iris is critical for getting blacks at their blackest. Click on the chart and look on the right side for contrast ratio. loooool.

Kind Regards,

JJ

ConnecTEDDD likes this.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 508
LightSpace CMS 6.4.7.1790

A new version of LightSpace is now available.

This version includes:

-- Fixed occasional crash on first install
-- Improved Lumagen force re-set
-- Updated i1 Pro 2 SDK
-- Added additional warning for multiple probe connection
-- Overcome error in IS-Mini SDK
-- Fix occasional crash when disconnecting i1 Pro 2
-- Multiple Delete of Colour Spaces from library

DOWNLOAD LightSpace CMS Demo or Upgrade for Licensed Users

DOWNLOAD LightSpace DPS (Display Profiling System) Free Version License Request

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Old 12-19-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Ft Print View Post

Hi Silly Sally:

Excellent! I noticed your Pre-Cal Contrast Ratio was over 22,000:1. WOW. My Epson Projector's Pre-Cal CR is only 1,700+:1. What's working against my contrast ratio is my 10ft wide matte white screen, lots of reflective light going back into the screen (white ceilings and light colored walls), an anamorphic lens which absorbs 25% of the total projector luminance and I can't use "auto iris" during calibrations. Auto iris is critical for getting blacks at their blackest. Click on the chart and look on the right side for contrast ratio. loooool.

Kind Regards,

JJ

]

Excellent right back to you.

I always thought Projector's were a little lower CR's than a plasma with a very good black level.

Anyway you are looking at a 10ft wide screen, my is only 65".

ss
Old 12-19-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hi guys:

Here's something about the LS profile run that might be of interest. During pre-calibration workflow, one of the Light Space "gamut" goals is to provide as much "meat on the bone" as possible. This gives LS mathematics a lot of flexibility from which to decide how to provide an optimal calibration LUT. In a 17pt Display Characterization profile run I did recently, roughly 4913 hard meter reads were taken. These are one meter read per color and roughly 4913 color patches are read. To show you with charts what this means, pls look at the 2 charts below. Chart 1 shows the Pre-Cal Epson 6020 gamut with just the primaries, secondaries and the D65 grey points from black to white, as the result of the 17pt profile run. The smaller triangle is the rec709 color space triangle. The bigger triangle is the native gamut of the Epson projector. The 6020’s native gamut is really huge! This is what I mean by "meat on the bone" ... an oversaturated Epson 6020 gamut provided by the user at the end of Pre-Calibration workflow. Chart 2 is the same as Chart 1, but with all of the roughly 4913 meter hard reads shown. See how all the meter reads “fill” the 6020’s native gamut? Light Space math analyzes the Epson Projector's native/present "characteristics" with the profile run. It learns what the Projector's calibration capabilities are (strengths and weaknesses) and with some "secret sauce", provides all the data necessary for the use of the Light Space "Tools", post profile run, needed to create and tweak the Calibration LUT (CLUT). For instance, the "Convert Color Space" tool allows the user to select the color space and gamma to use for the Calibration LUT ... like rec709 and any gamma like 2.2 or 2.4, whatever. Light Space tools perform these calculations in seconds. Another LS user posted he tries out many gammas with his Calibration LUT and picks the one he likes. He likes he can create a CLUT with a different gamma in seconds. That’s good math for the user. More on LS pre-calibration workflow at: http://www.lightillusion.com/display_calibration.html Hope this is useful info..

Kind Regards,

JJ wink.gif

Chart 1. Epson 6020 Projector's Pre-Calibration Gamut. Smaller triangle is rec709. Larger triangle is the Epson 6020 native gamut.

Chart 2. Epson 6020 Projector's Pre-Calibration Gamut. All 4913+ hard meter reads fill the Epson Projector's Native Gamut.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

LightSpace CMS 6.4.7.1790

A new version of LightSpace is now available.

This version includes:

-- Fixed occasional crash on first install
-- Improved Lumagen force re-set
-- Updated i1 Pro 2 SDK
-- Added additional warning for multiple probe connection
-- Overcome error in IS-Mini SDK
-- Fix occasional crash when disconnecting i1 Pro 2
-- Multiple Delete of Colour Spaces from library

DOWNLOAD LightSpace CMS Demo or Upgrade for Licensed Users

DOWNLOAD LightSpace DPS (Display Profiling System) Free Version License Request

Can we get some details in what was updated in the i1pro2 SDK.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member

We have been working with X-Rite on some issues with the i1Pro2 and X-Rite updated their SDK with some improvements.
We have just adopted those changes, as I am sure other software vendors will have done.
The changes were made a while back, but we held off adopting the changes as we are still chasing one final problem, but have not yet been able to isolate it...

If anyone with an i1Pro2 has seen a error message that states"'Unknown exception in I1_TriggerMeasurement: boost::too_few_args..." and can replicate this please let us know.
X-Rite are keen to locate the cause of this.

Steve
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

Old 12-20-2013, 04:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Steve,

Will this affect how the i1pro2 reads red particularly on a plasma ?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Unfortunately no, there is no change in probe reading...
For plasmas the i1Prp2 is not really a good probe.
We would recommend using an i1D3, pre-matched to the i1Pro2.

Steve
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

Old 12-20-2013, 05:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Steve,

Thanks for responding.

Are you saying that the i1pro2 is not a good probe for plasma in general or specifically for cube calibrations due to read time and/or low light sensitivity?

Then you say to pre-matched which I guess means profile to a i1D3 which would raise the question if it's not a good probe for plasma, then why would you use it to profile with?

Old 12-20-2013, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

It's specifically the low-light accuracy that is the problem.
This makes the profile less accurate than it can be.
LightSpace has some very clever processing within its colour engine that will get you the best results possible, but without accurate readings there are limits...
When you 'match' one probe to another - so an i1D3 to the i1Pro2 - you use peak primary colours, so that gives the i1D3 the 'accuracy' of the i1Pro2 for that moment in time.
You then get the benefit if the i1D3's better low-light operation.

One of the differences with LightSpace is we plot and record the exact data from the probe, so when looking at the profile graphs what you see there is exactly what the probe reported/measured.
We then use the colour engine processing to deal with the probe errors when the calibration LUT is generated, and provide LUT Filters should they be need.
This will get you the best possible result, but using a probe that can measure low-light levels accurately will always produce better final accuracy.
It's one reason we use the K10-A for all our calibrations wink.gif
JimP and Carbon Ft Print like this.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

Old 12-20-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Hi Guys:

Let’s talk Light Space tools and using Photoshop to modify your Calibration LUT. Why would one want to do that? Simply to make a better looking picture … through the user’s eyes. I’ve created a Before and After images that shows the result of using Photoshop to modify a Light Space Calibration LUT. I’ve increased the Lightness level (HSL) of the 0.5% band in Ted's Blk Tunnel Reference Image to a point where one can see it. Hopefully, this will spur some user curiosity as to the possibilities of different kinds of Calibration LUT tweaking that’s possible … ways you never dreamed possible. In a upcoming post, I’ll show you a real application of using Photoshop with Before and After Images. It’s really cool … like magic. looooool.

So, let me tell you a little bit more. In Image 1, the “Teds Black Tunnel” Reference Image was inserted into an Epson Projector calibration LUT. This reference image shows square bands of luminance of 0, 0.5, 1, 2, 3, 4, -1 and -2%. This image is what I term a “LUT Control Image”. It’s an image to gauge the effect of changes the user makes with Photoshop on the Light Space Calibration LUT. You can actually see the changes being done in real time. Very exciting stuff. For more information on how to insert a Reference Image into a Calibration LUT see: http://www.lightillusion.com/lut_image.html. Also, for more information on Teds Reference Images see: http://displaycalibrations.com/.

In Image 2, I used Photoshop's Lightness control (of HSL) to increase just the 0.5% Grey color to a point where one can see it easily. This is a very precise adjustment … note that no other adjacent grey bands were affected. (To see all the bands, increase display gamma to 1.5 or so on your display or just increase the brightness control. tongue.gif )

Hope you found this interesting.

Kind Regards,

JJ wink.gif

Image 1. Before - Teds Blk Tunnel Reference Image Inserted Into an Epson Projector Calibration LUT.

Image 2. After - The 0.5% Luminance Grey Band is Lifted with Precision ... Note the adjacent Grey bands are not affected.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:05 PM

Hello,

just made some QPs (81 patches) of my new display (200 hrs). Only 2pt WB was used, Gamma about 2.1, native gamut.
all raw data, not filters used.

precal setup:

loaded to Radiance Mini and verified:

can I expect a better RGB balance by running larger profiles like 10^3 ?

referring to RGB separation and 1DLUT, I think this setup is a good point to start.

any comments, please?

best regards

Edit:

in addition I run a QP with 141 patches and use it now. But before the LUT my greys near black (19-25) were pretty clean and now below 22 is orange discolored despite with the relax filter applied at 0.09. Of course the filter improved already but before LUT the mentioned greys were far better.
So which filter do I have to use to clean the dark greys?
Old 12-20-2013, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

RGB Separation can only be improved with a cube based profile, not a QP.
This is because volumetric data is need to correct the problem.

Also, if you look at the RGB Balance plot you can see the probe has failed to read valid data i n the blacks, and there is a green back-light contamination in the shadows.
The LUT generation will ignore the probe read errors, but is probably trying to correct the back-light, which is not valid.
Looking at the graphs a relax value of 0.13 to 0.15 is probably needed.

But, until you perform a cube profile you will not be getting the best from the display.

As you say, the basic display set-up looks good though smile.gif

Steve
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

Old 12-20-2013, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFaxe View Post

in addition I run a QP with 141 patches and use it now.

Hello, What DIP Mode Chapter of my disk are you using? ..with what meter settings?

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Old 12-20-2013, 05:33 PM

Hi,
Thanks for reply! 4s Dip mode with 1.04s IT (96 Hz), burst mode, plasma, no extra delay. Slowest reading with Dip Time finder was 2.9x sec. In the Profile only 5% grey was invalid (-).
Maybe should really extend probe IT.

Aahh, if the Klein K-10 would be less $...
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFaxe View Post

Hi,
Thanks for reply! 4s Dip mode with 1.04s IT (96 Hz), burst mode, plasma, no extra delay. Slowest reading with Dip Time finder was 2.9x sec. In the Profile only 5% grey was invalid (-).
Maybe should really extend probe IT.

Aahh, if the Klein K-10 would be less $...

Very nice, when your panel break-in total hours have compleTED, start with a 10-Point Cube that will take 1 hour and 7 minutes to measure 1.000 Color Points the DIP Mode Chapter of my disk.

TIP of LS secret sause: 10-Point Cube contains 10-Step Grayscale measurements, this means 10-Steps from 0% Black throu 100% White, someone will thought that it measures 0,11,23,34,45,56,67,78,89,100% White but.... it's not... the first 2 steps are 0% and 8.63%, I can't say more...they watching us. looooooooooooooool

Old 12-22-2013, 05:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hi Guys:

Here's another example of using Light Space and Photoshop to mod your Calibration LUT (CLUT) to make your picture look better. This is pretty cool, too. This is my Blacker than Black mod'd CLUT. For those looking for deep blacks, I have created a LUT that has driven dark greys to "blacker that black".

Pls look at the 2 Images below. Image 1 shows a Unity LUT with Video Scaled black (16). The video scaled black is the horizontal line at the bottom of the image.

The second image shows a horizontal line below video black. This is blacker than black. The line does look a little long and crooked ... just focus on the thought that it can be done ... and done in a CLUT with Light Space. I verified it on my TV. How did I verify it? ... most of you already know, but I'll tell you on my next post. tongue.gif Think Light Space ... and all the possibilities of how one can use Light Space to make your picture look better. Tweaker nirvana! Enjoy!

Kind Regards,

JJ wink.gif

Image 1. Unity LUT with Video Scale. Video Black (16) is the horizontal Line at the bottom.

Image 2. Epson Calibration LUT Video Scaled with Blacker than Black (BTB). The horizontal line is under video black (16).
buzzard767 likes this.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hi Guys:

This is something you may be interested in ... 3D LUT Cube Views. Here's a 3D LUT Cube View that reveals in 3D the effect of a mono filter applied to an Epson 6020 Projector Calibration LUT (CLUT). The mono filter basically takes all the color out of the cube beginning at black. It can help tame discoloration in the shadows (although, it's not my first choice, but is good for demonstrating the power of Light Space Tools.). Pls look at images 1 thru 3. Image 1 is the CLUT without any filters applied. Image 2 is the CLUT with a mono filter applied to the lower 20%. Image 3 has the mono filter applied to the lower 80% of the LUT. Using Light Space's 3D LUT Cube View, you can zoom in and out of the cube and rotate the cube, among other things (i.e. there are a lot more options). Click on the image to see it better. Hope you liked this.

Oooops: I should add that I increase brightness control until I could see "Blacker than Black" from my previous post (#561).

Kind Regards and good LUT'g,

JJ wink.gif

Image 1. Epson 6020 Projector Calibration LUT without any Light Space Filters applied.

Image 2. Epson 6020 Projector CLUT with the mono filter applied to the lower 20%.

Image 3. Epson 6020 Projector CLUT with the mono filter applied to the lower 80%.
buzzard767, ConnecTEDDD and DrFaxe like this.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Just because we can, and just because it's a bit of fun, we have added User Patch Sequence capability to LightSpace CMS, as well as increasing the standard maximum cube profiling size to 21^3.

These new tools are in the present Beta version, and if any users would like to play with this drop me an e-mail.

We have found a bug with the graph displays when using non-cube based patch sequences, but the LUT generation works perfectly.
The graphs display error is one we overlooked, but this has no effect on the final calibration LUTs generated, and we'll sort that ASAP.

Anyway, the result is users can use the standard in-built patch generation for any cube size up to 21^3 (ideal for those with fast K10-A probes), and also can define their own user patch set via .csv files with triplet RGB data.
This means profile patch sets can be defined with extra patches clustered around the critical 'memory colours' as desired.

Have fun, and Merry Christmas to all.

Steve
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

Old 12-26-2013, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

21-Point Cube (9.261 Color Points) which requires 3 hours and 13 minutes (DIP Mode 1sec. per Patch) is a good idea to include it to future version of my disk...strictly for Klein K-10A users.
Carbon Ft Print likes this.