eeColor3 Advanced HDMI Color Processing Device - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 11-07-2012, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Has Anyone Used This Device and have compared it with Darbee?

http://www.dckane.com/eecolor/products/
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882941001

Color3 is the first and only device of its kind to increase color saturation, preserve accurate skin tones and other memory colors, and maximize the viewing experience of any HDTV, regardless of the age of the display, ambient lighting conditions or viewing environment.

Six (6) user-controlled color settings

Two (2) HDMI inputs, one (1) HDMI output

True 1920 x 1080 resolution, 10 bit display depth

Powered by eeColor using FPGA chip technolorgy

Benefits:

- Select the right display setting to maximize the viewing experience of your favorite content

- Variations specifically customized for general TV viewing, movies, sports, gaming and computer monitors

- Installs in minutes using HDMI cables

- True, cinema-like picture quality in your home, in any room, any time of day

- Enjoy movies like the director intended them, sports like you're in the stadium and video games like your in another world.

Color hasn’t evolved since the 1970’s, but our TV’s have. It needed to play catch-up, so Entertainment Experience created Color3 to bring your viewing experience into the 21st century and beyond, regardless of room conditions.

With Color3 you don’t need to compromise. Our adaptive technologies present the perfect picture no matter where you put the TV, or the lighting of the room. When watching movies you see the richness of the color the way the director intended it. For video games we deliver a bolder, in-your-face experience. For sports enthusiasts, you’ll feel like you’re actually there, sitting right on the field.

Powered by eeColor eeColor Technology is the world's first 3D, multi-dimensional color video technology which leverages over 35 years of research and experience in visual color science by experts from Kodak, Hollywood film production and amusement park to overcome the current color quality limitations. eeColor uses 3D color mapping to increase colorfulness, brightness and contrast at the same time preserving skin tones and memory colors. This is accomplished through an exclusive technology that is based on the actual physics of adaptive vision wherein less bright lighting makes objects look less colorful and lower contrast, and higher colorfulness makes objects look brighter and higher contrast.

Six (6) user-controlled color settings Color is one of the most important characteristics of high quality picture. Color3 features six (6) user-controlled color settings allowing you to select the right display setting to maximize the viewing experience of your favorite content. You can program settings with the included remote control.

THX approved THX has carefully selected, tested and recommended best-of-breed products in the HDMI accessory category, and verified the statements of the manufacturer. When used with THX Certified Displays, Receivers and other home theater products, the customer can be confident of a reliable experience.

True 1920 x 1080 resolution, 10 bit display depth With resolution at 1920 x 1080 and 10 bit display depth, you’ll see each image in its full magnificent and pure color detail.
HDMI Input/Output Color3 provides 2 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output so you can install in minutes using HDMI cables.

Adjustable for your room environment based on lighting Enjoy true, cinema-like picture quality in your home, in any room, any time of day. Optimized for TV, computer monitors, gaming and sports, Color3 is the first device to enhance color, preserve crispness and maximize your viewing experience.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-07-2012, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Sounds like the eeColor Processor without the CMS capability.

http://shop.avscience.com/TruVue-eeColor-Processor_p_28.html
post #3 of 20 Old 11-07-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 222
I've used and have both devices... though the eeColor device did not have "3" in the model name -- not sure if there's a difference or not. The eeColor processor is 2 things in 1 box... it uses perceptual algorithms to improve the perceptual accuracy of "memory colors" which are the colors you've seen 1000s or 10s or thousands or more times... all shades of fleshtones, stop signs, trees and grass, sky, Coke red, etc. When I reviewed the device, there wasn't a way to use the second capability it has... a calibration LUT can be downloaded to it so that it does the perceptual correction as well as making the display more accurate via the LUT capability. A software company has developed calibration software that works with the eeColor device to generate the necessary 17x17x17 LUT. This company also claims to have been able to get the price of the eeColor device down to $600 (was originally $1500) but it isn't clear if that price only applies when you purchase their software with the eeColor device or if someone could purchase only the eeColor device for $600. CalMAN is supposed to be working on LUT generation for the eeColor device also.

The Darbee device does more outright image processing... there are sharpening algorithms that if over-used, create artifacts along lines of different luminance or color. There also appears to be a bump in contrast (not like turning up the Contrast control in a TV, I mean actual contrast were the difference between dark and light portions of the image are exagerrated... this MIGHT be via increasing (numerically) gamma (though I've never measured what happens with gamma when using the Darbee device). The thing about the Darbee device is... if your goal is image accuracy and you dial-in a video display to be quite accurate using a good meter and software, then you connect the Darbee device, it changes the images. Is that "better" or "worse"? If the display was accurate before inserting the Darbee device and after inserting the Darbee device the images are noticeably different, the Darbee device, by definition is making the images less accurate. I have the same issue with the eeColor device, but it is so much more subtle that it doesn't make itself as obvious unless you use the "max" setting (forget what they call it) that really does jack-up the picture a lot more than the more natural and less obvious mode choice.

The same concern could apply to the eeColor device, however, the changes the eeColor device makes (not considering the calibration LUT) are much more subtle than the changes the Darbee makes. The eeColor device doesn't mess with contrast (if it does, it is VERY subtle) nor does it make all colors more vibrant across the board like the Darbee device does. The Darbee device seems to sharpen edges without adding the artifact you see on sharpness test patterns when there's too much conventional sharpening applied, though if you use too much "Darbee" (they actually call their processing "Darbee" and you can set it in % from 0%-100%), there is what appears to be sharpening artifacts along edges. The "Full Pop" mode looks, to me, like way too much sharpening. The HD mode is much milder, but it defaults to 100% and I am much more comfortable using 40%. The Darbee device tends to make good images better, but lower quality images (like SD content) tend to look worse, especially if you add too much "Darbee".
Chad B likes this.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #4 of 20 Old 11-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Hi,

It is Light Illusion, through LightSpace CMS, that can generate accurate calibration LUTs for the eeColor box.
And the LUTs are 65x65x65.
It is the profiling we do that is 17x17x17, vs. the 5x5x5 125 point of other systems.

And the price we quote for the eeColor box is for the box direct, or combined with LightSpace CMS.
See the Light Illusion website for all prices.

But, talk to us directly about the price for LightSpace CMS - we have a 'special' for Home Calibrators.

The Color3 box has no calibration LUT capability.
It just applies the factory pre-set LUTs (and they are LUTs, not algorithms) to 'enhance' the image.
If you are looking for accuracy this is not the box for you.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #5 of 20 Old 11-07-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 328
deleted - Steve covered it.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #6 of 20 Old 11-07-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Can't CalMAN V5 calibrate the 3D LUT of the eeColor box? I see it is an option in the displays drop down menu. If so, exactly what and how much can be done with it?

I have nothing at all against Light Illusion software; I'd just rather use software I already know very well and have already paid for.
post #7 of 20 Old 11-07-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Chad, buzzard767 has that setup, you should PM about results or buzz, PM Chad

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #8 of 20 Old 11-07-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Can't CalMAN V5 calibrate the 3D LUT of the eeColor box? I see it is an option in the displays drop down menu. If so, exactly what and how much can be done with it?
I have nothing at all against Light Illusion software; I'd just rather use software I already know very well and have already paid for.

There are some issues. If I do a 5 point profile with Calman it seems to work the same as with the Lumagen Radiance and the results are similar. In fact, if future testing equates results with the Lumagen than the eeBox will be a cost effective alternative but you lose all the normal processing capabilities of the Radiance so it's a trade off. If I go for a higher cube profile, the Calman guess, reload, guess again technique takes forever and so far the resulting LUTs aren't working properly. PM me if you'd like additional info.

LightSpace will soon have sync integration with the K10-A so it will be able to do a 17 point cube profile (4913 points) in less than 2 hours. Other probes are mostly 3 seconds each read so about 4 hours. Calman does the 5x (125 color point) in around 50 minutes for most people depending on dE selected. Divide 4913 by 125, multiply the result by 50 minutes per 125 segment and you'll find your wife disowning you.
Chad B likes this.

Buzz

post #9 of 20 Old 11-07-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

the eeBox will be a cost effective alternative but you lose all the normal processing capabilities of the Radiance so it's a trade off. .

that's what I want, a LUT box < $1000.. no need to pay for the processing that's not needed for many environments.

it's important to note, the eeColor3 that's in the OP above is not the eeColor box for our needs.. it's the other one, eeColor box, the eeColor Commercial HDMI eeColor Processor

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #10 of 20 Old 03-03-2013, 09:36 AM

Liked: 12
If anyone's interested it's going to be a Newegg shell shocker from 12:00AM - 12:59PM PT Today $79 but only $19 after rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882941001
post #11 of 20 Old 03-03-2013, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I ordered one. For the price after rebate I can buy a pig in a poke. If 3D LUTS can be downloaded by other than Light Illusions it will be of great interest to me.

Just another blank signature.
post #12 of 20 Old 03-04-2013, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

I ordered one. For the price after rebate I can buy a pig in a poke. If 3D LUTS can be downloaded by other than Light Illusions it will be of great interest to me.

There is no support for any LUT uploading to this unit, you can only select the preset memories. BTW it has no USB/RS-232 for any connection. wink.gif

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS + CalMAN ColorChecker
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
post #13 of 20 Old 03-04-2013, 04:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 211
There never will be any 'calibration' capabilities with this box... it is just not built for such use.

frown.gif

Steve Shaw
LIGHT ILLUSION

post #14 of 20 Old 03-04-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

The Commercial eeColor Processor's factory LUTs don't do anything with color luminance but definitely alter saturation.

LUT OFF, LUT ON

I assume the Consumer eeColor Processor does the same thing, sort of like a Darblet, but different. rolleyes.gif

Buzz

post #15 of 20 Old 03-12-2013, 05:25 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

Now free after New egg Visa Card rebate, got it , if not happy, I have a free HDMI switch that I was going to buy anyways ( well not free 2.99 shipping )

URL=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882941001&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882941001&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-[/URL]
post #16 of 20 Old 11-27-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 467
What was the final verdict on this box, not the commercial version the EEcolor3, are the preloaded luts of any use at all ?

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #17 of 20 Old 11-27-2013, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

What was the final verdict on this box, not the commercial version the EEcolor3, are the preloaded luts of any use at all ?

It has these LUT's pre-loaded:

LUT 1: General Color with Standard Skin Tones and Dark Lighting
LUT 2: General Color with Standard Skin Tones and Dim Lighting
LUT 3: Cinema Color with Warm Skin Tones and Dark Lighting
LUT 4: Cinema Color with Warm Skin Tones and Dim Lighting
LUT 5: Vivid Color with Standard Skin Tones and Standard Lighting
LUT 6: Vivid Color with Warm Skin Tones and Standard Lighting

It's a color enhancer device, the image you will receive has nothing to do with calibration or accurate colors.

Investing to the eeColor Commercial HDMI eeColor Processor you can upload to your own 65-Point Cube LUT's to it's 6 Memory Slots and it's LUT Generatios is supported by CalMAN Enthousiast/Ultimate or LightSpace HCL/HCC/Quic Profile/CMS Licence Types.

post #18 of 20 Old 11-27-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for that info Ted but in theory could it enhance skin tones to mitigate a color decoder error(have this issue on my ST60)?

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #19 of 20 Old 11-27-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Thanks for that info Ted but in theory could it enhance skin tones to mitigate a color decoder error(have this issue on my ST60)?

A 3D LUT Calibration will take care of these problems.

1D Grayscale + 6 Color Axis Controls are not enought to fix the skin tones.

The average Caucasian skin tone resides well away from any grey scale, or primary colour, and as such is ignored by normal 1D LUT Calibrations.

post #20 of 20 Old 11-27-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I would love to explore that but the full eecolor box is just not in my budget right now

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
Reply Display Calibration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page