My Samsung UN55ES7100 Calibration runsdown - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-10-2012, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Samsung sent me a replacement of my old TV for it uneven back light with this TV. Tho the uneven back light still exists, luckily I was able to fix it by put on a black background so I can see the unevenness clearly and use a clean cloth and carefully massage the TV from middle of the screen out. The uneven back light is now disappeared. Then I proceed on calibrating my TV. First run, see what you guys think.

--- Calibrated ( Can't turn my ISO on my camera any higher or else the image will go really bright.)

--- Setting that the TV came with (Dynamic mode)

-- Backlight Uniformity check Lights on

-- Backlight Uniformity check Completely dark

I could not get my DSLR camera to take the picture of the TV correctly, any tip on how would be appreciated.

Picture mode: Movie
Backlight: 7
Contrast: 95
Brightness: 43
Sharpness: 8
Color: 47
Tint: 50/50

Advance

Dynamic Contrast: Off
Black Tone: Off
Flesh: 0
RBG mode : Off
Color Space: custom
White Balance:
R-Offset: 28 R-Gain: 31
G-Offset: 30 G-Gain: 33
B-Offset: 27 B-Gain: 32

10P white balance on. Didn't feel like going in to 1-10 interval
Gamma 0

Picture Option.

Color Tone: warm 2
Digital and MPEG noise: Off
HDMI black level: low
Motion plus: Clear
LED motion plus: Off

NOTE: these settings is just what I get from my calibration, It's not intent for other people to just plug it in on their TV. Every TV is different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-11-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Could you explain or post a link to the process you used to fix uneven backlighting.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-11-2012, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
my thoughts exactly...
post #4 of 14 Old 11-16-2012, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

I google it, but I'm more than happy to provide you with the link

http://www.ehow.com/how_6516595_fix-spots-lcd-tv-screens.html

I take a bit of risk by not turning off my TV in step 4. put on a dark scene on your TV and start work it, I have PS3 so I play a movie file and immediately pause the movie. usually you get a dark screen first before the movie. Use that, I can't guarantee that this will work for you.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-22-2013, 07:52 PM

Liked: 10
Nice post!
The picture difference is amazing. I have a 55ES7100 being delivered tomorrow and have been searching for a calibration guide, this looks like the one to start with.

How did you get the RGB balance info, is that something included with TV?
post #6 of 14 Old 01-25-2013, 09:56 AM

Liked: 13
I just picked up an es7100. I was messing with the settings and looking at your settings. In the HDMI black level mine is greyed out. I cannot select. in the e-manual it says in HDMI mode only. I do not have an HDMI mode. My mode options are Dynamic, Standard, Natural and Movie. Any insight?
post #7 of 14 Old 01-26-2013, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by atcdav View Post

I just picked up an es7100. I was messing with the settings and looking at your settings. In the HDMI black level mine is greyed out. I cannot select. in the e-manual it says in HDMI mode only. I do not have an HDMI mode. My mode options are Dynamic, Standard, Natural and Movie. Any insight?

Dynamic, Standard, Natural and Movie are one of.picture mode.
HDMI black level is under Picture options. Is enabled only if you have HDMI input active (you are watching DVD for example connected through HDMI connection) AND Color space in HDMI device is set to RGB. If You have Color space in HDMI device set to YCbCr4:2:2 the HDMI black level is grayed out.

Panasonic TX-P42GT50E, Oppo 103, Schiit Vali, Denon AHD2000 + Moon Audio Blue Dragon V3, Phonak Audeo 121, Vsonic GR07, Fiio E17, Cowon S9, XLO cables :: CalMAN 5 Enthusiast,Chromapure Standard, i1D3, i1Display 2, TED's Calibration Blu Ray Disc v1.0 & v1.1
post #8 of 14 Old 01-27-2013, 12:38 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by prsut View Post

Dynamic, Standard, Natural and Movie are one of.picture mode.
HDMI black level is under Picture options. Is enabled only if you have HDMI input active (you are watching DVD for example connected through HDMI connection) AND Color space in HDMI device is set to RGB. If You have Color space in HDMI device set to YCbCr4:2:2 the HDMI black level is grayed out.

Thanks for the info. The cable feed is thru HDMI. not sure about color space setting, willing surely check that out.

Picture is not that bad at all except SD is fuzzy and I do notice some pixelization with blues and some blacks. I am having a 60" Samsung Plasma delivered so I will get a nice comparison. There is still so much SD content out there it is hard to get a TV that can handle both SD and HD well
post #9 of 14 Old 02-04-2013, 03:54 PM

What do I need to in order to get the RGB balance info?
post #10 of 14 Old 07-15-2013, 01:04 PM

A few questions about settings for this TV.

First one being HDMI black level, I read in some previous posts that this is only enabled with the source is set to RGB. I am using the Samsung BD-F7500 and there are to RGB settings, one is standard while the other is enhanced. Enhanced looks better but apparently it clips whites a lot, so I don't use it, now is using RGB in any way inferior to using ycbcr 4:4:4?

When HDMI black level is set to low it does in fact look better, but for right now I have left that setting on default and the HDMI black level defaults to Normal and is grayed out.

Also when calibrating this TV from the Movie Mode, which seems to be where I should be starting at. The image looks very washed out, I have read that it takes some time to adjust to it, but I don't think I would have as much problem with it if it didn't look like there was a screen over the entire, well screen. I think if the blacks were deeper it would allow the rest of the colors and the whites to not seem so muted. Anyone have any insight on this?

Right now I am running the TV with some adjustments to brightness/contrast and color/tint all under the 'Natural' picture mode which blocks out the Advanced Settings, and that seems to be ok for now, specially since I also have the girlfriend to worry about :P who kept claiming that the TV looked horrible after the calibration -_-

Anyhow thanks in advance for any help. I hope to hear from someone smile.gif
post #11 of 14 Old 07-15-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: THX/ISF Calibrationist/Instructor, Calgary, AB, Canada
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Greetings,

Are you actually using a test disc here to set things up or is this tweaking by eye?

regards

Michael Chen @ The Laser Video Experience
ISF/THX/TLV Video Instructor
The Video Calibration Education Hub - www.TLVEXP.com

post #12 of 14 Old 07-15-2013, 01:31 PM

This was done using the Disney WOW bluray, I've been meaning to borrow a friends Spears and Munsil and see how that comes out, but I have also heard great things about AVSHD :O
post #13 of 14 Old 09-20-2013, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

@Michael TV I use the colorimeter, i1d2 about to jump on I1pro 2 soon.
@Xithryl I use AVSHD Disc for my calibration, I also have DVE HD Disc for sharpness, since AVSHD Disc pattern for sharpness is not that great.
I just moved to Japan and I have to redo all my Calibration again, right now Im trying to solve my eye strain problem, so Ill have to play with Contrast and Back lighting abit. Also do you have AVSHD Disc? You might want to watch the video on the disc. They explains everything for you. As for HDMI level, set that to low if your image looks washed out that means you have your brightness too high
post #14 of 14 Old 01-29-2014, 07:16 PM

Location: charlotte, but buying the stuff for our beach place
I've got a Samsung UN55ES7100 that I've had about a year and like the tv but the blacks are terrible. My one year will be up around Feb. 2 so I'm trying to figure out if I need to call about it. When watching a movie or tv, when it is a dark scene the blacks get really dark but almost kind of flicker but the blacks will get lighter I guess and you can see the scene better but then it goes back to being darker. It's kind of a back and forth thing though that really bothers me. Not sure if it is a setting or tv problem.
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Samsung Un55es7100 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread