Samsung UN50ES6500 calibration settings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-11-2012, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
(Note: I also posted these here.)

I calibrated my UN50ES6500 (manufactured in July 2012, version CS01) using an Xrite i1DisplayPro colorimeter and Color HCFR software.

I sit a little over 8 feet from the screen in a pretty dark (though not completely dark) room. These settings give a luminance reading of approximately 35 fL. For a 50-inch screen at only an 8.5-foot viewing distance, I personally wouldn't want it any brighter than that. I think these settings are fine for a brighter room too.

I think this calibration is very good. The white balance and color space settings give realistic skin tones. The backlight, brightness, and contrast settings give black levels that are pretty black but not crushed (can still see detail) and the color doesn't get out of whack on really bright content (I found that pushing the contrast up any higher threw off the color too much). It also minimizes some of the clouding and flashlighting issues with this set.

These settings may or may not produce a great result on any particular set. These are probably most likely to work well on another 50-inch panel version CS01.

Tip: If you find the blacks are too inky or crushed (no detail when looking at, say, a tire), try ticking up the brightness ONE tick to 45. Conversely, if you find the blacks are not quite black enough, try ticking the brightness down one tick to 43. That shouldn't significantly change the rest of the calibration.

Another tip: If you really want a brighter picture during the day, try increasing the backlight to 10 or 11. That shouldn't screw up the rest of the calibration too badly, though I haven't tested that (it will affect it to some extent).

Picture
picture mode = movie
backlight = 9
contrast = 92
brightness = 44
sharpness = 0
color = 44
tint = G50/R50
screen adjust = screen fit
3D = off
Advanced
Dynamic contrast = off
black tone = off
flesh tone = 0
RGB only mode = off
Color space = custom
Red (R=50, G=0, B=0)
Green (R=75, G=51, B=0)
Blue (R=0, G=45, B=57)
Yellow (R=51, G=49, B=7)
Cyan (R=74, G=52, B=53)
Magenta (R=48, G=43, B=55)
white balance
R-offset = 26
G-offset = 25
B-offset = 25
R-gain = 30
G-gain = 33
B-gain = 0
10 point white balance = on. leave all values at 0 except:
interval 8 (Green = +1, Blue = +1)
interval 9 (Red = +1, Blue = +1)
interval 10 (Green = -1, Blue = +1)
gamma = 0
Expert pattern = off
xvYCC = off
motion lighting = off
Picture Options
color tone = warm 1
digital noise filter = off
mpeg noise filter = off
HDMI black level = normal (and should be grayed out). if you do have the option to change this, that means your source is sending an RGB signal so you need to use this setting to tell the TV whether to expect a 0-255 signal or a 16-235 signal. You'll have to try setting it both ways and see which way looks right. If you see inky black areas (as in no detail) or an overall picture that's gray and washed out, try changing this setting.
film mode = off
auto motion plus = clear
LED motion plus = off (or whatever you prefer)
System
Eco solution
energy saving = off
eco sensor = off
General
Game Mode = off
BD Wise = off

here are the graphs:

Luminance curve looks spot on:

luminance.jpg

Average gamma is 2.25:

gamma.jpg

Color temp looks pretty good (can't really trust the 10% gray reading with a consumer grade colorimeter):

colortemp.jpg

RGB levels look very good with very low deltas (again, can't really trust the 10% gray reading with a consumer grade colorimeter):

RGB.jpg

CIE diagram shows colors aligned pretty well to Rec709 references:

CIE.jpg

Measured values show delta E below 5 for all primary and secondary colors, which is pretty good:

measures.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-11-2012, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 101
It's apparent you are proud of all the work put into making your display perform well. However, it is an unfortunate persistent myth that copying such detailed picture adjustment menu items will result in a calibrated display for an owner of the same make and model of display. These links explain why:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1055906
http://forums.hdtvtest.co.uk/index.php?topic=7202.0
post #3 of 7 Old 11-11-2012, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB View Post

it is an unfortunate persistent myth that such detailed picture adjustment menu items will result in a calibrated display for an owner of the same make and model of display. These links explain why:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1055906
http://forums.hdtvtest.co.uk/index.php?topic=7202.0

Oh, you mean the thread where people told you to lighten up?
post #4 of 7 Old 11-13-2012, 08:34 AM

Liked: 23
Using 10P white balance, you can bring up the gamma or lower it. Let say 50% you want gamma to be 2.4 ( just example) you go into 10P white balance, interval 5 and add or lower all R,G,B. this bring up the gamma or lower it. hope this help to get your gamma line up a bit. Oh, and put your TV setting to Warm 2 it'll get you closer to D65.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-13-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback -- I will try upping R, G, and B at 50% and 90% to even out the gamma a little. I wonder how much of an effect (how much it changes gamma) each +1 has.

I found that when I started from Warm2 I could not get the primary or secondary xy points near where they needed to be. Starting from warm1 allowed me to get closer, but there still were limits -- especially the Samsung Green being undersaturated. I know that I'm not exactly at D65 for 100 IRE, but it fluctuates around D65 through the lower IRE levels. I don't think I can get it dead on D65 through the whole IRE range.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-23-2012, 06:47 AM

Liked: 56
Dave99z:

thank you for settings.
I have es6710, xrite meter and want to calibrate my TV using HCFR. I am following "GREYSCALE & COLOUR CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES" . and want to ask you:

-which patterns are you using for 2pt white balance : 30 - 80 or 20 - 80
-how I can calibrate primaries and secondaries ?

Reading http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457 step 8.5 there is "The next part is to adjust the CMS 'Hue' and 'Saturation' controls for all six primary & secondary points"
but Samsung es series has RGB controls for each color (not hue etc.). How to do it ?

I am novice in calibrating so sorry for dummy question. Or if you can point me to some explaining thread....

My best
prsut

Panasonic TX-P42GT50E, Oppo 103, Schiit Vali, Denon AHD2000 + Moon Audio Blue Dragon V3, Phonak Audeo 121, Vsonic GR07, Fiio E17, Cowon S9, XLO cables :: CalMAN 5 Enthusiast,Chromapure Standard, i1D3, i1Display 2, TED's Calibration Blu Ray Disc v1.0 & v1.1
post #7 of 7 Old 11-23-2012, 04:02 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by prsut View Post

Dave99z:
thank you for settings.
I have es6710, xrite meter and want to calibrate my TV using HCFR. I am following "GREYSCALE & COLOUR CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES" . and want to ask you:
-which patterns are you using for 2pt white balance : 30 - 80 or 20 - 80
-how I can calibrate primaries and secondaries ?
Reading http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457 step 8.5 there is "The next part is to adjust the CMS 'Hue' and 'Saturation' controls for all six primary & secondary points"
but Samsung es series has RGB controls for each color (not hue etc.). How to do it ?
I am novice in calibrating so sorry for dummy question. Or if you can point me to some explaining thread....
My best
prsut

I go with 20 and 90, get more result that way. Try that and let me know if you get better result. If I read this correctly the CMS you mention, you're talking about the Gamut? It should be in TV's Remote>Menu>Advance Settings>Color Space, Set Color Space to Custom then you can adjust each color, R,G,B (Primary) Yello, Cyan, Magenta (secondary)
Reply Display Calibration

Tags
Samsung 50 Inch Class Smart Tv 3d Slim Led Hdtv Un50es6500
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page