Looks like a new entry level meter. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 60 Old 11-19-2012, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Send a message via AIM to Rayjr Send a message via Yahoo to Rayjr Send a message via Skype™ to Rayjr
Has anyone seen this new meter?.
Looks like entry level gear keeps getting more affordable.

RayJr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 11-19-2012, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Yeah but what is it.. look like a D2..
post #3 of 60 Old 11-19-2012, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Yeah but what is it.. look like a D2..

It's updated chroma 5 guts.

New filters and firmware repacked into a new chassis.
The physical dimensions are similar to a d2, but it's slightly larger.

It's a great new entry level meter.

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #4 of 60 Old 11-19-2012, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 98
It is a SpectraCal C3 built for us by X-Rite. Yes it does look like a D2 but it is basically the guts of a Chroma 5 with updated filters. The C3 is designed for flat panels in contact mode. So basically you are getting a meter that has improved accuracy for a fraction of the price. It is targeted as a affordable entry level meter.

Derek

CTO / Founder - SpectraCal Inc.
post #5 of 60 Old 11-20-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayjr View Post

Has anyone seen this new meter?.
Looks like entry level gear keeps getting more affordable.
RayJr

What you are seeing on the page Rayjr pointed out is the complete calibration package: C3 meter, cal disk, blue filter and CalMAN 5 Tutorial. We don't plan on selling the C3 meter standalone only in packages. This package was put together as a solution for those that wanted to calibrate but even with free software still needed a decent meter.

Derek

post #6 of 60 Old 11-23-2012, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Question, What is the difference between Calman 5 Tutorial and Basic?
post #7 of 60 Old 11-24-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickaim9 View Post

Question, What is the difference between Calman 5 Tutorial and Basic?

CalMAN 5 Tutorial is based on CalMAN 5 Basic with access to the Introduction, Tutorial Basic and Tutorial Advanced workflows. The idea is a CalMAN 5 for entry level users but not to limit being able to perform a full calibration. So with the Tutorial Basic workflow we walk you through setting Brightness, Contrast, Color, Tint, Sharpness, Overscan, Color Temperature preset, Gamma preset and a 2 point grayscale balance. Tutorial Advanced workflow picks up with a 2 point grayscale and into multi-point grayscale/gamma and finishes with CMS. The Tutorial workflows are fully functioning calibration processes but with a lot more handholding and information per step. CalMAN 5 Tutorial supports 3 meters the C3 our new entry level tristim, the D3 OEM and our C6. CalMAN 5 Tutorial can be upgraded at a later date to Basic, Control or Enthusiast. CalMAN 5 Tutorial is included with the purchase of the C3.

Derek

post #8 of 60 Old 11-24-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I have a question about these enhanced, entry-level colorimeters sold by SpectraCal. The question is why do they seem to come and go relatively quickly while other colorimeters like the D3 and C6 are here to stay for a very long time?
post #9 of 60 Old 11-24-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

I have a question about these enhanced, entry-level colorimeters sold by SpectraCal. The question is why do they seem to come and go relatively quickly while other colorimeters like the D3 and C6 are here to stay for a very long time?

Mostly because the manufacturer stopped making the meter like in the case of the D2, DTP94, Chroma5. But with the C6 and now C3 we are having them manufactured for us so as long as we keep ordering them X-Rite will keep building them. Like the C6 we worked with X-Rite to build us a meter that was better than the previous generation. In this case what looks like a D2 has updated processing and filters. So for the $149 you get a meter that looks like a D2, performs like a Chroma5 but for a fraction of the price a Chroma5 used to cost. The best of all worlds for the entry level. No more buying used meters on eBay or older stock just to get an affordable meter.

Derek

post #10 of 60 Old 11-24-2012, 01:09 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjsmith View Post

CalMAN 5 Tutorial is based on CalMAN 5 Basic with access to the Introduction, Tutorial Basic and Tutorial Advanced workflows. The idea is a CalMAN 5 for entry level users but not to limit being able to perform a full calibration. So with the Tutorial Basic workflow we walk you through setting Brightness, Contrast, Color, Tint, Sharpness, Overscan, Color Temperature preset, Gamma preset and a 2 point grayscale balance. Tutorial Advanced workflow picks up with a 2 point grayscale and into multi-point grayscale/gamma and finishes with CMS. The Tutorial workflows are fully functioning calibration processes but with a lot more handholding and information per step. CalMAN 5 Tutorial supports 3 meters the C3 our new entry level tristim, the D3 OEM and our C6. CalMAN 5 Tutorial can be upgraded at a later date to Basic, Control or Enthusiast. CalMAN 5 Tutorial is included with the purchase of the C3.

Which version of Calman software and meter do you recommend (for use with JVC projector and a Panasonic VT50) in conjunction with a Radiance mini and why?

Want auto calibration capabilities as the bulb ages

Thanks
post #11 of 60 Old 11-24-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpconrad View Post

Which version of Calman software and meter do you recommend (for use with JVC projector and a Panasonic VT50) in conjunction with a Radiance mini and why?
Want auto calibration capabilities as the bulb ages
Thanks

Well at a minimum you should get CalMAN 5 Control with a D3. With CalMAN 5 Control you get access to the ISF modes on the VT50 over ethernet and for the VT50 and JVC projector and Radiance Mini CMS you get AutoCal for them. Now with the Radiance Mini you would want CalMAN Enthusiast because you also get 125 point Cube AutoCal for the Radiance. In any case if you start with Basic or Control and want to move up we do allow level upgrades.

Derek

post #12 of 60 Old 11-24-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:

Well at a minimum you should get CalMAN 5 Control with a D3. With CalMAN 5 Control you get access to the ISF modes on the VT50 over ethernet and for the VT50 and JVC projector and Radiance Mini CMS you get AutoCal for them. Now with the Radiance Mini you would want CalMAN Enthusiast because you also get 125 point Cube AutoCal for the Radiance. In any case if you start with Basic or Control and want to move up we do allow level upgrades.

What are the advantages of the C6 meter and is it worth the price differential long term
post #13 of 60 Old 11-24-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mostly because the manufacturer stopped making the meter like in the case of the D2, DTP94, Chroma5. But with the C6 and now C3 we are having them manufactured for us so as long as we keep ordering them X-Rite will keep building them. Like the C6 we worked with X-Rite to build us a meter that was better than the previous generation. In this case what looks like a D2 has updated processing and filters. So for the $149 you get a meter that looks like a D2, performs like a Chroma5 but for a fraction of the price a Chroma5 used to cost. The best of all worlds for the entry level. No more buying used meters on eBay or older stock just to get an affordable meter.

ok, that makes sense... so the C3 should be here for a significantly longer time than others like the enhanced spyder and x-rite meters mentioned above?
post #14 of 60 Old 11-24-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpconrad View Post

What are the advantages of the C6 meter and is it worth the price differential long term

I'd recommend getting the D3 now and adding a spectro like the i1Pro1/2 in the future for absolute accuracy. There is no substitute for profiling a colorimeter on the actual display being calibrated and doing so every 6 months or so to keep the profile accurate.
post #15 of 60 Old 11-24-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

ok, that makes sense... so the C3 should be here for a significantly longer time than others like the enhanced spyder and x-rite meters mentioned above?

Yes as long as the C3 keeps selling we will keep having them built.

Derek

post #16 of 60 Old 12-07-2012, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Derek,

Can the C3 meter be used to calibrate rear projection mounted on a tripod?
post #17 of 60 Old 12-07-2012, 09:30 AM
avp

Just for clarification if I buy the $149 package with meter what can't I do that the Basic software would do?
post #18 of 60 Old 12-07-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avp View Post

Just for clarification if I buy the $149 package with meter what can't I do that the Basic software would do?

This the matrix showing what you can and can not use with the software license
http://store.spectracal.com/calman5/licenses
http://store.spectracal.com/support/hardware-support.html
post #19 of 60 Old 12-07-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 88
That matrix you linked above does not show the CalMAN Tutorial Differences vs Basic (or the others)...
Quote:

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #20 of 60 Old 12-23-2012, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

so its basically the same thing just more user friendly for noobs? might get it to finally calibrate my 5 year old lg lcd

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
post #21 of 60 Old 12-24-2012, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I went to the SpectraCal website for more info but I'm still a bit confused. For $149 I get the calman software and a meter? And this will work for front projection systems? I'm guessing I attach the meter to a tripod?

Also this is just a license with annual subscription?

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #22 of 60 Old 12-24-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by design1stcode2nd View Post

I went to the SpectraCal website for more info but I'm still a bit confused. For $149 I get the calman software and a meter? And this will work for front projection systems? I'm guessing I attach the meter to a tripod?

This is a very basic entry level setup, however I do not think the C3 has a tripod mount for front projection use so make sure you verify that with spectracal if you plan to purchase.
See software comparison here http://store.spectracal.com/calman5/licenses.

The software is fully functional in trial mode http://store.spectracal.com/downloads.html , but you can only use it with a simulated meter. As you go up in price they add hardware, automation and reporting functionality that the Enthusiast and pros need. So Yes, you get a license that lets you use the software that is fee, with certain pieces of hardware.
post #23 of 60 Old 12-24-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The SpectraCal C3 is designed for flat panels not for front projection and does not have matrix tables for front projection. For front projection you will need at least a D3 or C6.

Yes the SpectraCal C3 comes with a full CalMAN 5 Tutorial license. All CalMAN licenses sold or included in bundles are full licenses and are NOT time limited. All CalMAN licenses come with a full one year’s maintenance for all major and minor updates. After the first year you can opt to get additional major updates with annual maintenance but this is optional. We usually have around 3-4 major updates a year. In most cases it is for adding additional support for newer displays, sources, meters and features.

Derek

post #24 of 60 Old 12-26-2012, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

The SpectraCal C3 is designed for flat panels not for front projection and does not have matrix tables for front projection. For front projection you will need at least a D3 or C6.
Yes the SpectraCal C3 comes with a full CalMAN 5 Tutorial license. All CalMAN licenses sold or included in bundles are full licenses and are NOT time limited. All CalMAN licenses come with a full one year’s maintenance for all major and minor updates. After the first year you can opt to get additional major updates with annual maintenance but this is optional. We usually have around 3-4 major updates a year. In most cases it is for adding additional support for newer displays, sources, meters and features.

Thanks, OK, make it easy for me. I have a Panasonic PT-AE4000u projector and I want the least expensive way to get good color out of it. I don’t need a professional level calibration I just want it to look better than the out of the box settings. I know I need calibration software and a meter, what specifically would you recommend?

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #25 of 60 Old 12-26-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:

Thanks, OK, make it easy for me. I have a Panasonic PT-AE4000u projector and I want the least expensive way to get good color out of it. I don’t need a professional level calibration I just want it to look better than the out of the box settings. I know I need calibration software and a meter, what specifically would you recommend?

Sounds like you need an i1 Display Pro (i1 display 3, OEM i1 Display, ect... one meter many names), it's X-Rites least expensive meter that has the right tables and accessories for reading projectors.

We have it bundled with the CalMAN available on our website:
http://store.spectracal.com/consumer/calman5-bundles/calman-5-basic-with-i1-display-pro-bundle.html

You could also get just the software and shop around for the meter:
http://store.spectracal.com/consumer/shop/calman5-basic.html

The next versions of CalMAN up add AutoCal (requires hardware support) and more pattern automation in CalMAN Control, then Enthusiast adds some more hardware support, our design mode for building workflows, and enables 3D LUT calibration for devices that support it (just the colorbox and radiance).

Joel Barsotti
SpectraCal
CalMAN Lead Developer
post #26 of 60 Old 12-28-2012, 11:34 AM

Just got this meter how do I use it with HCHR?

ÂI felt that here at last was a chance to expose the U.S. public to fine art at reasonable pricesÂ
post #27 of 60 Old 12-28-2012, 11:37 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentprice View Post

Just got this meter how do I use it with HCHR?

The C3? I'd be surprised if you can use it with HCHR
post #28 of 60 Old 12-28-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Does the CalMAN 5 Tutorial license support report generation. I bought this setup and I can't generate a report.

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #29 of 60 Old 12-28-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 88
You can always do a screen cap in MS Windows and print that..

CalMAN Basic+ can print non-customizable reports.

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #30 of 60 Old 12-28-2012, 01:04 PM

Just did greyscale doing cms now. I only studied HCFR cms is very confusing with this.

ÂI felt that here at last was a chance to expose the U.S. public to fine art at reasonable pricesÂ
Reply Display Calibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page